Seagate 1TB HDD problems!

I am having really strange issues with one of my HDD's, when ever I go to access it via explorer I can not seem to access any of the data on it, explorer freezes then stops responding. I have attempted to copy files from the drive via command line and it freezes up. I attempted to run chkdsk on it via cmd and drive properties and it also freezes up. I am not sure what to attempt to do next, i am leaning towards the drive failing but SMART reports the drive is fine. Any other suggestions as to what to do next would be helpful!

Bro, judging by what has happened to me, I would say regardless of what SMART is reporting, your drive is getting ready to go. Try to get as much off of it as possible. If chkdsk can't complete and freezes up, that's a sign that it's failing. Any sounds coming from it?

Yes!!!! I have the Same problem!!! Running Windows 7 Ultimate x64. I only had my drive for about a year so I know it is still good. Could it be a bug from a recent update?

I've had similar errors from a loose SATA connection, so I'd double check all your physical connections. It would be unusual if SMART is not reporting an issue. How did you check it? Myself, I use Crystal Disk Info to check the status of my hard-drives.

I've had similar errors from a loose SATA connection, so I'd double check all your physical connections. It would be unusual if SMART is not reporting an issue. How did you check it? Myself, I use Crystal Disk Info to check the status of my hard-drives.

Woah! I did have a lose cable! Seams like it's working! Thank you so much! My issue was weird though: the drive would copy and read properly but would freeze up like that randomly. Thanks again!!!

Yes!!!! I have the Same problem!!! Running Windows 7 Ultimate x64. I only had my drive for about a year so I know it is still good. Could it be a bug from a recent update?

?? A drive can fail any time

• Like 2

Woah! I did have a lose cable! Seams like it's working! Thank you so much! My issue was weird though: the drive would copy and read properly but would freeze up like that randomly. Thanks again!!!

No worries. :) Faults like that can be incredibly difficult to diagnose, especially when the symptoms don't seem to follow any logical pattern.

Correction, the drive in question is a WD, not seagate, anyway here is what Crystal Disk says about the drive in question:

post-243659-0-07026400-1344383453_thumb.

Just ran the Data Lifeguard tool and here is what happens when trying to run the test:

post-243659-0-47401000-1344388661_thumb.

Is it safe to assume that I need to RMA this back to WD?

From the last screenshot given and the CrystalDiskInfo one in "Caution" status, it looks like the Read self-test failed which usually means bad sectors and/or possible mechanical failure/s. Have you tried booting into a Live CD environment such as the Mini XP Mode in Hiren's Boot CD (http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/ - ZIP file link towards the bottom of the page) to run a CHKDSK /R? This can sometimes fix up bad sectors...

Otherwise, I would send it back to WD and give them the error details and freezes that you have encountered, providing that the HDD is still under warranty. Before you do any of this though, backup ALL of your data! Use a non-Windows environment like a Linux Live CD distro if need be and you can also check the SMART status from within there too (in Linux Fedora there is a Disk Utility that shows this).

Correction, the drive in question is a WD, not seagate, anyway here is what Crystal Disk says about the drive in question:

post-243659-0-07026400-1344383453_thumb.

Return to Western Digital, that drive is faulty. As G0dzilla said though, backup first, western digital generally replace the drive.

Here is my info: Oh, and it's not a Seagate, I thought it was. It's a white label so there was really no way to tell. Sorry!

post-447111-0-29884800-1344443602_thumb.

The SMART information shown there seems to be fine, that drive looks okay.