Playing MKV files in the Windows 8 Video App

Ah, I see your case and point.

No, they really shouldn't be storing it in .mkv if they're going to turn around and complain because they can't handle it.

It plays on all my devices just fine ?(???)?

I understand it's more convenient to have movies on HDD, I myself rip my movies to my home server in mp4. What I don't get is people who rip their collection to a format their playback devices don't understand and then complain. People using mkvs either pirated their content or ripped it to a format that can't be played back on their devices. In either case I have no sympathy.

Or they encoded their videos to MKV before Windows 8 came out and are annoyed to find that Metro apps don't support the format. All my MKV files play perfectly through VLC, my TV (LG 42" LED HDTV) and my media box (Mede8er MED600X3D), yet I don't have the option of using a Metro app to play them back. Is that the end of the world? No, as Metro apps are pretty crappy anyway, but it's still functionality that should be there.

The issue is that Microsoft doesn't support the format when virtually every other manufacturer does.

I don't know why you insist on using metro's app for doing it.

Get K-lite, CCCP, or shark's codec pack.

Use VLC!

Give potplayer a try

What is so special about wanting to use metro for this?

• Like 1

Or they encoded their videos to MKV before Windows 8 came out and are annoyed to find that Metro apps don't support the format. All my MKV files play perfectly through VLC, my TV (LG 42" LED HDTV) and my media box (Mede8er MED600X3D), yet I don't have the option of using a Metro app to play them back. Is that the end of the world? No, as Metro apps are pretty crappy anyway, but it's still functionality that should be there.

The issue is that Microsoft doesn't support the format when virtually every other manufacturer does.

Even before Windows 8, MP4 was natively supported on almost all platforms including MacOS, Windows 7, Android, iDevices, Windows Phone, XBOX and Playstation.

Maybe because you don't make any sense ? Dunno it's hard to have a logical discussion with someone living on another planet.

Anyway i'm done. I don't see the point of discussing with someone who can't even agree than a proper media player needs to support mkv out of the box.

you should be done....."self respecting media player"??? and i'm the one living on another planet here?

I have a good amount of mkv files also you don't hear me complaining.

Ah, I see your case and point.

No, they really shouldn't be storing it in .mkv if they're going to turn around and complain because they can't handle it.

It plays on all my devices just fine ?(???)?

I didn't have a 360 when I ripped most of it.