The performance is kinda low compared to the Alpha on my GTX460 with the beta driver. Not sure if I need a new card or if it's the game and its AA settings. :/

Just played the Open Beta and it seems pretty decent so far. I initially had a problem with SLI, even though I was using the special driver that nVidia had released - it was fixed by adding the .exe to the profile with nVidia Inspector. Performance with the default anti-aliasing (SMAA 2x?) is superb and I get a solid 60fps at 2560x1600, with maximum settings. I tried TXAA but even the lowest version tanked my framerate down to 35-45fps. As for the gameplay, the multiplayer is certainly a lot more enjoyable than any of the previous games.

As long as Crysis 3 is released on Steam I'll be grabbing it, though mainly for the singleplayer.

I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that it'll only be on Origin (or at least not on Steam anyway, maybe on GOG.com GnG etc).

I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that it'll only be on Origin (or at least not on Steam anyway, maybe on GOG.com GnG etc).

The only reason I'm slightly optimistic is that Crytek publishes games through the EA Partners programme, which is why Crysis 2 was released on Steam after EA started its boycott.

I could have sworn EA started their little boycott after Crysis 2 was released, and then they had Valve pull the game from Steam (along with the other EA games at the time, minus the Partners stuff I think). Well either way, Crysis etc are all back on Steam now, and it is true that Crytek does publish under their Partners program now so, I suppose it's possible. But I'd still call it a pretty long shot.

I'm going to have to upgrade soon, time to say bye bye to my 5770.

This game is going to get a LOT of folks off the upgrade fence.

Not because of poor performance graphically - the MP beta performs better, not worse, than the C2 open MP beta (and on the same hardware) - but because the midrange GPU market has undergone major changes in anticipation of Crysis 3.

You have the nVidia GTX650 2 GB and the AMD HD7850 (also 2 GB) basically fighting a war in the sub-$200USD space; the biggest surprise for these two contenders is that neither requires more than a single 6-pin PCI-E power plug (unless an aftermarket cooler is used) - basically a 2 GB GDDR5 card with a 1 GB GDDR5 card's power draw; what's not to like about that?

I could have sworn EA started their little boycott after Crysis 2 was released

You're correct. The boycott started after Crysis 2 was released and resulted in it being pulled from the store. However, Crytek re-released it a while later as the "Maximum Edition". The entire thing is a confusing mess but games on the EA Partners program have been released since the boycott, as evidenced by the Crysis 2 Maximum Edition and Shank 2.

This game is going to get a LOT of folks off the upgrade fence.

Not because of poor performance graphically - the MP beta performs better, not worse, than the C2 open MP beta (and on the same hardware) - but because the midrange GPU market has undergone major changes in anticipation of Crysis 3.

You have the nVidia GTX650 2 GB and the AMD HD7850 (also 2 GB) basically fighting a war in the sub-$200USD space; the biggest surprise for these two contenders is that neither requires more than a single 6-pin PCI-E power plug (unless an aftermarket cooler is used) - basically a 2 GB GDDR5 card with a 1 GB GDDR5 card's power draw; what's not to like about that?

You still on about 650Ti equals 7850 in performance?

Anyway, there doesn't seem to be that big of a graphical requirement increase from the second game. It's playable on my 7850 1GB@1680x1050 with maximum details (except shadows and AA). That said, I currently run at medium for teh FPS and because it's hard to admire the graphics since the game is very fast paced. Other than that, the gun equipment grind seems horrible but then again I saw EA sell complete unlocks for other games in Origin at 10-30?.

You still on about 650Ti equals 7850 in performance? So sad.

Anyway, there doesn't seem to be that big of a graphical requirement increase from the second game. It's playable on my 7850 1GB@1680x1050 with maximum details (except shadows and AA). That said, I currently run at medium for teh FPS and because it's hard to admire the graphics since the game is very fast paced. Other than that, the gun equipment grind seems horrible but then again I saw EA sell complete unlocks for other games in Origin at 10-30?.

I was saying that apparently nVidia thinks so - since they have NOT dropped the price of the GTX650 Ti or the GTX660 to suit - both are still priced higher than the HD7850. (In other words, don't blame me.)

Performance-wise, independent benchmarks say the GTX660 (and not either GTX650) is the card that bests the HD7850 2 GB - yet most GTX660s are priced higher than the highest-priced HD7850. Performance may speak loudly; however, budgets typically speak louder.

I was saying that apparently nVidia thinks so - since they have NOT dropped the price of the GTX650 Ti or the GTX660 to suit - both are still priced higher than the HD7850. (In other words, don't blame me.)

Performance-wise, independent benchmarks say the GTX660 (and not either GTX650) is the card that bests the HD7850 2 GB - yet most GTX660s are priced higher than the highest-priced HD7850. Performance may speak loudly; however, budgets typically speak louder.

The 660 is better but the price/performance ratio is kind of ridiculous in the US. Take a look at Tom's Hardware's GPU recommendation for January to see how bad their prices are, then again Nvidia does benefit from more brand loyalty than AMD.

The 660 is better but the price/performance ratio is kind of ridiculous in the US. Take a look at Tom's Hardware's GPU recommendation for January to see how bad their prices are, then again Nvidia does benefit from more brand loyalty than AMD.

Exactly - the GTX660's price is not logical, and even the GTX650 Ti underwhelms on a price/performance basis compared to AMD - either HD7850 or even HD7870.

And that is entirely nVidia's fault.

The 660 is between the 7850 and 7870 in price and performance, I don't see how that's an issue. Same with the 650 Ti, it's between the 7770 and the 7850.

Except that it's the GTX650 Ti 1024 MB GDDR5 version that's now priced between the 1 GB and 2 GB HD7850 (thanks to price cuts on both the HD7770 and both 1 GB and 2 GB HD7850s) - the 2 GB GTX650 Ti remains priced above the HD7850 2 GB - and perilously close to the GTX660 with the same memory load. Quite honestly, the 2 GB GTX650 Ti should go, and the GTX660 2 GB should occupy that price point. (In AMD's case, it's the 1 GB HD7850 that deserves to have its chop called - the price difference between it and the 2 GB big brother is too small.)

Except that it's the GTX650 Ti 1024 MB GDDR5 version that's now priced between the 1 GB and 2 GB HD7850 (thanks to price cuts on both the HD7770 and both 1 GB and 2 GB HD7850s) - the 2 GB GTX650 Ti remains priced above the HD7850 2 GB - and perilously close to the GTX660 with the same memory load. Quite honestly, the 2 GB GTX650 Ti should go, and the GTX660 2 GB should occupy that price point. (In AMD's case, it's the 1 GB HD7850 that deserves to have its chop called - the price difference between it and the 2 GB big brother is too small.)

I imagine the 2GB 650Ti and the 1GB 7850 are priced oddly due to lack of demand / limited supply since only certain manufacturers have bothered to make them. The 1GB 650 Ti is better than a 7770, and can be had for less than $150.

I agree that it's mostly dead in the water, but ATi's X850 series cards have almost always won that price range.

The performance is kinda low compared to the Alpha on my GTX460 with the beta driver. Not sure if I need a new card or if it's the game and its AA settings. :/

The game is using an updated version of CryENGINE 3 with features like global illumination and a couple of other DX11-specific features. It's much more demanding than Crysis 2. I just saw a benchmark chart that shows a GTX 460 averaging 22.2 FPS at 1920x1080 with no AA and 16x AF enabled (see here). Neither the Radeon HD 7970 or GeForce GTX 680 can get 60 FPS with those settings.

Had to force kill Origin then restart the download - all went well this time. I was playing FarCry 3 at the time, not sure why that would hang Origin but whatever. Should be able to get in some gaming tonight, got my Xonar DG in the mail to replace that crappy Recon3D card I have - sounds horrible in anything but games and even then the voices are muffled. Hope the $25 Xonar fixes that for me.

Will the beta let you play with friends? Possible to set up a neowin match?

I've got a GTX 570 OC, 8 Gigs of ram and a fast quad proc... I'm sure I can play the game just fine but the question is do I want to buy it after all the things EA did to trash BF3 with adding stats and ranks to the point it killed its game play and team work.

I love Crysis and playing as a single player but that is all that its worth and to be honest only playing SP its kinda pointless to buy it when it will likely leak all over online shortly after release.

The game is using an updated version of CryENGINE 3 with features like global illumination and a couple of other DX11-specific features. It's much more demanding than Crysis 2. I just saw a benchmark chart that shows a GTX 460 averaging 22.2 FPS at 1920x1080 with no AA and 16x AF enabled (see here). Neither the Radeon HD 7970 or GeForce GTX 680 can get 60 FPS with those settings.

Is a GTX460 based on Fermi or something pre-Fermi?

Fermi and Kepler are far more inclusive of DX11 features (among nV GPUs) than previous GPUs - time for the GTX460 to move into Honorable Retirement.

Ok, someone care to give me a basic tutorial on how to play Hunter? I think I get the idea that you have 2 teams and one is the hunted, other the hunter. How come as the hunted when I get killed I become a hunter, and its only for a few seconds?

Ok, someone care to give me a basic tutorial on how to play Hunter? I think I get the idea that you have 2 teams and one is the hunted, other the hunter. How come as the hunted when I get killed I become a hunter, and its only for a few seconds?

Because that is exactly how it works.

It's basically the old-school (and I mean REALLY old-school - it predates me) "Ten Little Indians".

You start off with two Hunters shooting down a CELL transport - inside that transport are five CELL troopers.

The Hunters have to eliminate all five CELL troopers (the "Indians") against a countdown clock. If so much as ONE trooper survives, the Hunters lose!

However, each CELL trooper taken out is replaced by a Hunter - thereby severely turning up the pressure on the survivor(s).

I've seen variants in other shooters (the old-school Doom/Quake mod "Manhunt" is based on the same formula).

Because that is exactly how it works.

It's basically the old-school (and I mean REALLY old-school - it predates me) "Ten Little Indians".

You start off with two Hunters shooting down a CELL transport - inside that transport are five CELL troopers.

The Hunters have to eliminate all five CELL troopers (the "Indians") against a countdown clock. If so much as ONE trooper survives, the Hunters lose!

However, each CELL trooper taken out is replaced by a Hunter - thereby severely turning up the pressure on the survivor(s).

I've seen variants in other shooters (the old-school Doom/Quake mod "Manhunt" is based on the same formula).

Got ya, that makes sense, thank you. So, as a CELL, when the "alarm" starts going off and gets more intense, is this a proximity sensor or something?

Actually, I've found performance to be comparable with Crysis 2 - if anything it feels smoother to me. As for anti-aliasing, SMAA performs very well for me and has excellent image quality - it's TXAA that really tanks framerates.

Is a GTX460 based on Fermi or something pre-Fermi?

Fermi and Kepler are far more inclusive of DX11 features (among nV GPUs) than previous GPUs - time for the GTX460 to move into Honorable Retirement.

The 400 Series was the first to use the Fermi architecture.

Actually, I've found performance to be comparable with Crysis 2 - if anything it feels smoother to me. As for anti-aliasing, SMAA performs very well for me and has excellent image quality - it's TXAA that really tanks framerates.

You're right. I took a look at a Crysis 2 benchmark (DX11 + HQ textures, 1920x1200) and the results are similar. The only benchmark result I've seen for the Crysis 3 MP beta was done at 1920x1080 with 16x AF enabled. It's definitely more stable and efficient than Crysis 2 because of the improvements they made to the engine. Crytek not only made it look better, but also run better.

How are the visuals though? I was really impressed with Crysis 2. The lighting looked really good and aside from some low-res textures, the game looked amazing.

How are the visuals though? I was really impressed with Crysis 2. The lighting looked really good and aside from some low-res textures, the game looked amazing.

The visuals are top-notch, though the included levels are pretty confined and aren't as impressive as some of the levels shown off in the previews. Certainly it's right up there with Far Cry 3, which I consider to be one of the most visually impressive games on the market - without playing more it's hard to say whether it's the same or better. The biggest thing I noticed was how responsive the game felt, especially in comparison to Crysis 2. It feels much more fast paced.

As I said earlier, I really hope it is released on Steam because I've had to skip other games I was interested in (Battlefield 3, Mass Effect 3, etc). To me the community features of Steam make it essential, as I love taking screenshots and sharing them with friends.