Windows Live Essentials 2012 is out. But should you install it?

Will you upgrade to Windows Live Essentials 2011 or 2012?  

183 members have voted

1. 1. Are you still using Windows Live Essentials 2009?

• Yes
    • No
    • I use Windows Live Messenger 8.5
    • I use MSN Messenger 7.5
    • I don't use Windows Live Essentials or Messenger.
  2. 2. What do you think of the forced upgrade by Microsoft to WLE 2011 version?

3. 3. Will you install Windows Live Essentials 2012?

On topic: You're ****ed at WLE 2012. Cool. Stick with 2009 or whatever and be happy. No more crying threads, please! Microsoft isn't going to care either way.

The answer to the question raised in the thread title: If you're using any other version of this suite, yes, of course you should install this new update. There are minimal changes to the design, some useful new features, and probably a fair few bug fixes and security enhancements.

But IE9? No Never. I will never install IE9.

That's a little harsh, isn't it? Why don't you at least give it a try? IE9 had the first full hardware acceleration implementation of the major browsers, so they've had more time to refine it than in Chrome and Firefox (which ends up meaning better performance on systems with GPUs). Not to mention the Chakra JS engine, which is up-to-par with it's Chrome and FF opponents. IE9 is really the first IE in a while that's as good as it's competitors, and it's definitely better than Firefox 3.6. How hard is it to get used to your tabs and address bar being on the same row? The speed improvements make the 5 minutes it cost most people to learn the new UI a steal :)

Why don't you set aside a week or two to actually try out with an open mind the latest versions of the software you're clinging to? you might just be surprised how much you like it :p

As for the OP: yeah, you should install it. 2012 > 2009 :D not to mention any security fixes Microsoft may have fixed in 2012 that were present in 2009.

And Microsoft may have released WLE 2012 version. But nobody will upgrade to it. That's all. I and most people are staying with WLE 2009 version. Andrea Borman.

That's incorrect, many people have already moved on to Essentials 2012. It looks like your poll kinda backfired. :rofl:

• Like 1

WLM'09 was deprecated due to a change in the messaging protocol it uses.

Microsoft aren't being asses, they've just made a change to the service which will stop old clients working properly.

For the record, this is the problem with modern society. There was a time when those that couldn't adapt would be killed and or eaten by the wildlife. Now days we protect the morons and encourage them to breed.. -_-

• Like 4

But Andrea just said nobody will upgrade to it. You're telling me she lied?

IMPOSSIBRU!

I know, right? It's impossible to use. I can't find a single thing in this ribbon. Maybe we should call our politicians.

Read the Microsoft Answers Forum on this thread here 32 pages long. And you will see exactly how many people feel about Windows Live Essentials 2011 version.

Here-http://answers.micro...74-52505bbbf290

They don't like WLE 2011 version. And neither do I. That's why we stay with WLE 2009 version.

And Microsoft may have released WLE 2012 version. But nobody will upgrade to it. That's all. I and most people are staying with WLE 2009 version. Andrea Borman.

Okay, there are some people unsatisfied with the WLE version you're talking about. But PLEASE STOP SAYING NOBODY WILL UPGRADE TO IT, AND THAT MOST PEOPLE ARE STAYING WITH WLE 2009. I've upgraded to it. Many others here have upgraded to it. And judging by the fact that you've been banned and blocked from other forum sites leads me to believe that maybe you should start posting like a normal person. Please do so soon.

But I have got IE8 on both Windows Vista and Windows 7. And it's better than the horrible IE9. Which is no good for a slower version of Windows like Windows Vista. And no good on Windows 7 either. Andrea Borman.

Why do you consider IE9 horrible? Exactly which aspects of it are so bad you consider them to be 'horrible'? Name 4 things. I mean, if you're going to describe something with such a strong word, you should have at least 4 things that you can name make it such. It's a fast and good browser, and a better product than IE8. So, what makes it so horrible from your standpoint?

Why do you consider IE9 horrible? Exactly which aspects of it are so bad you consider them to be 'horrible'? Name 4 things. I mean, if you're going to describe something with such a strong word, you should have at least 4 things that you can name make it such. It's a fast and good browser, and a better product than IE8. So, what makes it so horrible from your standpoint?

she tried running it on a netbook that has little to no HW acceleration. so it ran slow

she tried running it on a netbook that has little to no HW acceleration. so it ran slow

Oh, well that makes sense. But not really.

Who uses 16-bit applications in this day and age outside of virtualization? Seriously?!? What 16-bit applications are there that people like her can't live without?

Andrea Borman = living in the past

She's using MS Bob.

The poll doesn't give all the options. so I vote:

Question 1: No, if a machine I own can run it and I use it for that task, it gets upgraded

Question 2: Could care less, see answer above. It's THEIR software, you choose to use it... or not.

Question 3: Yes and probably have already done so on the machines in my control.

Reading this thread (well, as much of it as I could stomach) reaffirms my belief that some people should simply not be allowed on the Internet. Ever.

Regarding IE9:

IE9 is tons better than it's predecessors, especially IE7 and most definitely especially IE6. Although I personally prefer

to use either SeaMonkey v2.12 or Pale Moon v12.3 for everyday browsing, with IE "only whenever needed" which is

very rare. My only major gripe with IE9 is the default GUI, and that it offers no decent customisation options.

Well on Windows XP the latest version of WLE is 2009 build 14.0.8117.416.

And anyone who is using Windows XP has to use WLE 2009 not 2011 or 2012 version.

Also note that WLE 2012 is not for Windows Vista,it is only for Windows 7 and Windows 8.

But I like WLE 2009 version. And I am happy with it. And if I can use it on my Windows XP netbooks.I don't see why I can't use it on Windows 7. Which I am, and I also have WLE 2009 on Windows 8.And it all works and so does the Messenger.

Before July this year,WLE 2011 version was optional for Windows 7 and Windows Vista users. You could install that or WLE 2009 version. It is only now, in July, that Microsoft are trying to make Windows Vista with Service Pack 2 users, Windows 7, and Windows 8 users upgrade to 2011 version.

And now they are trying to push WLE 2012 version on Windows 7 and Windows 8 users. But I think WLE 2012 is still an optional upgrade at the moment. So you can stay on 2011 version. Or 2009 version,like I am doing. Andrea Borman.

Just switched to WE2012, no problems whatsoever. The removal of Mesh is unfortunate - actually the only thing I miss is the removal of Office and Internet Explorer settings (though apart from custom templates, I doubt this feature was ever used...)

I see no problem with the new version, Mail looks 100% like the last version...