• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Administrator Account On Win XP Home

Premgenius    27

Correct me if i'm worng but can i enable the Administrator account on Windows XP Home if so how would i do this?

Also could i set it so that it can be shown on the Welcome Screen?

Panacik    27

Yes you can enable it. It is already enabled. If you do not use the welcolm screen then simply type administrator as the user name and then the password.

If you use the welcolm screen then you cannot get it to display each time unfortunatly. If you do need to access it when using the welcolm screen, then simply press CTRL+ALT+DEL 2 or 3 times and you will be given the manual login screen where you can enter administrator as the user name and then the password.

Premgenius    27

Thanks i knew about the CTRL + ALT + DEL trick but i wanted to knoe how to displayer it in the Welcome Screen and i think there was a reg tweak some time back somewhere

+BudMan    3,544

Does not Home prevent the login of the Administrator account - unless in Safe mode? I know you can do what you ask in pro, but from what I remember - home has to be in safe mode to allow the administrator account to log in.

edit: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=290109

Dazzla    5

Home edition is installed on my parents PC and administrator is only enabled in safe mode.

Gromvar    0

I do not remember where I found this but it will add admin for you.

Steven    80
Thanks i knew about the CTRL + ALT + DEL trick but i wanted to knoe how to displayer it in the Welcome Screen and i think there was a reg tweak some time back somewhere

TweakUI will add it. (Y).

+BudMan    3,544

Even if you add it to the welcome screen - I still think you need to be in safe mode to log in as the administrator account on winxp home.

Steven    80
Even if you add it to the welcome screen - I still think you need to be in safe mode to log in as the administrator account on winxp home.

I disagree with that.

dougkinzinger    0

Wow xStain.....that's a lot of stars!

+BudMan    3,544
I disagree with that.

We are talking about the default administrator account - not some account called admin, etc.. As the link above from MS states - you have to be in Safe mode to log in as the administrator account on home. Your saying that if using tweakui, you say put the administrator account on the welcome screen, it allows you to log in without being in safe mode?

Without any other changes, or renaming of the account - or changes to group policy, etc..

Premgenius    27

thanks

Steven    80
Your saying that if using tweakui, you say put the administrator account on the welcome screen, it allows you to log in without being in safe mode?

Without any other changes, or renaming of the account - or changes to group policy, etc..

Yes.

I know you're talking about the "ADMINISTRATOR" Administrator account.

TweakUI will make it appear on the welcome screen when you're not in safe mode.

Microsoft says you have to be in safe mode to log on to it, because it doesn't appear by default there during Normal Mode. Running TweakUI will let you add it.

+BudMan    3,544

Um - just having it on the welcome screen does not allow you to log in! You get this error;

"Unable to Log You on because of an Account Restriction" - see my above link.

Yes you can put in on the welcome screen - when not in safe mode. But you still can not log in - unless your in safe mode.

Steven    80
Um - just having it on the welcome screen does not allow you to log in!? You get this error;

"Unable to Log You on because of an Account Restriction"

Yes you can put in on the welcome screen - when not in safe mode.? But you still can not log in - unless your in safe mode.

Thats because the "Administrator" Account has no Password. Thats a security policy.

By Default the Administrator Account on Windows XP HE has no Password.

On Pro You must set a password when you install the OS.

Once you go in and Set a Password you can log in in XP HE.

You can never have NO Password for "ADMINISTRATOR" if you could that would be the biggest hole ever.

Microsoft was yelled at in Windows 2000 for that, in XP and 2003 you must have a Password for Administrator.

The reason why you can have a blank "Administrator" Password in Home Edition is because it has No Incoming Remote Access Capabiilty, therefore having a blank "Administrator" password is essentially safe.

Of course if you wish to change this, by all means go in to SECPOL.MSC and change it allow blank Administrator password.:yes:s:

Edited by xStainDx

OptiPlex    0

Ahh interesting

I thought that was default XP HE behavior :ninja:

+BudMan    3,544

Stain - I really do not think it has anything to do with a blank password. I pretty much remember changing the password to a NONblank, and still got that error.

Steven    80
Stain - I really do not think it has anything to do with a blank password. I pretty much remember changing the password to a NONblank, and still got that error.

:) mmk disagree with me. I don't care.

Statikk    7
Um - just having it on the welcome screen does not allow you to log in!? You get this error;

Yes you can put in on the welcome screen - when not in safe mode.? But you still can not log in - unless your in safe mode.

Thats because the "Administrator" Account has no Password. Thats a security policy.

You can never have NO Password for "ADMINISTRATOR" if you could that would be the biggest hole ever.

Microsoft was yelled at in Windows 2000 for that, in XP and 2003 you must have a Password for Administrator.

The reason why you can have a blank "Administrator" Password in Home Edition is because it has No Incoming Remote Access Capabiilty, therefore having a blank "Administrator" password is essentially safe.

Of course if you wish to change this, by all means go in to SECPOL.MSC and change it allow blank Administrator password.:yes:s:

Correct as usual! :p:p I've logged into admin on HE many times while not in safe mode after setting a password on the account.

Steven    80

Correct as usual! :p:p I've logged into admin on HE many times while not in safe mode after setting a password on the account.

Thank You!(Y)Y).

+BudMan    3,544

I have just tested this. Brand NEW install of HOME - Default Administrator account set to "nonblank" by using net user administrator *

Then booted into safe mode - it allows the Administrator account to log in using "nonblank" as the password. But when booted in normal mode you get "can not log on due to account restrictions"

I am not saying it can not be done - but there must be something more you need to do than just setting a password on the default Admin Account.

Steven    80

Start --> Run --> Secpol.msc

Local Policies --> User Rights Assignment --> Deny Logon Locally

Local Policies --> User Rights Assignment --> Logon Locally

Start --> Run --> Gpedit.msc

Computer Configuration --> Windows Settings --> Security Settings --> Local Policies --> Security Options --> "Accounts: Limit local account use of blank passwords to console logon only"

(HE doesn't have GPEDIT)

Statikk    7

I was just able to use the bootable ntpasswd cd to set the admin password and login as well. In home when you boot from it all accounts show as disabled or locked and you have to set the administrator account to active and then set the password. I assume it probably changes settings in the same places that GPEDIT does. I am logged on as administrator and not in safe mode.

+BudMan    3,544
Start --> Run --> Secpol.msc

Local Policies --> User Rights Assignment --> Deny Logon Locally

Local Policies --> User Rights Assignment --> Logon Locally

Start --> Run --> Gpedit.msc

Computer Configuration --> Windows Settings --> Security Settings --> Local Policies --> Security Options --> "Accounts: Limit local account use of blank passwords to console logon only"

(HE doesn't have GPEDIT)

Stain - this is my point exactly. HE does not have gpedit - nor can I find a secpol.msc - I do not believe that secpol.msc is part of a normal HE install.

So as it may be possible to add these from a pro version - or download somewhere. Out of the box - it is NOT possible to have the default admin account login in without being in SAFE mode.

Your post about tweakui allowing this was not complete - I can not even find where in tweak to show the admin account. It lists my 2 other test accounts, but not the Admin account. Maybe you have to be in safe mode? ;)

So yes - it may be possible to change settings on HE of winxp to allow for the default "nonblank" passworded admin account to login when not at safe mode.

But there is WAY more too it then just clicking something in tweakui.