Surface RT to cost $199?

Microsoft will make money from app sales through the Windows Store.

What if a person only picks one of these up for surfing the web and checking email? What apps do they have to purchase? None.

Sure, they will buy a few apps here and there to check them out, but can MS afford to cut the overall cost of these tablets hoping people buy apps? I do not see how any rational person could make that decision and feel confident in doing so. perhaps they may, and I hope they do for all of our sake, but does not seem like a sound business decision IMO. That is why I personally am not convinced this news is real.

What if a person only picks one of these up for surfing the web and checking email? What apps do they have to purchase? None.

Sure, they will buy a few apps here and there to check them out, but can MS afford to cut the overall cost of these tablets hoping people buy apps? I do not see how any rational person could make that decision and feel confident in doing so. perhaps they may, and I hope they do for all of our sake, but does not seem like a sound business decision IMO. That is why I personally am not convinced this news is real.

What if a person only buys a handful of games and hardly any accessories? It's a risk Microsoft takes.

Microsoft will make money from app sales through the Windows Store.

I don't think the Xbox model will work with tablets. :/ The app prices are too low to sustain it. I have been using iPhone/iPad for a while and there is not a single app I have actually bought on them. I use it for browsing, skype and some free games. I am sure I am not alone in this regard (although I did purchase some games on my WP).

If this rumor is true, I think Microsoft will be just selling it at loss to buy market share. I think Google is doing same with Nexus 7 (except it's no profit no loss model for hardware).

In other news: Microsoft Surface Touch Cover and Type Cover to cost ?299 and ?399 respectively?

If RT is really $199, then those keyboards are sure to cost $69.99 and $99.99 respectively :p

I wonder if this is a launch promo?

I'm getting the pro version myself. But if its 199$ ill buy it when it comes out JUST TO HAVE IT. Then sell when pro is available.

Ditto.

mm, even at 199$.. I have a Blackberry Playbook that does what I need, won't be using Windows 8 on my desktop so not going to be using any of the cross-system stuff.. so no, even at 199$ I wouldn't be buying one.

mm, even at 199$.. I have a Blackberry Playbook that does what I need, won't be using Windows 8 on my desktop so not going to be using any of the cross-system stuff.. so no, even at 199$ I wouldn't be buying one.

Oh man... the utter fail that is the Blackberry Playbook cannot even be compared to an unproven device like the Surface.

Oh man... the utter fail that is the Blackberry Playbook cannot even be compared to an unproven device like the Surface.

Hmm.. it has a great ui, has awesome multi-tasking, has email, browser, video, android. I don't see it as a fail at all. I mean, at least 3 of those things won't be on the surface. I'll let you guess which ones.

Given how late to the market microsoft is, $200 would be the necessary price point (especially now with the nexus 7 and other decent tablets coming in at that price point) for Microsoft to make any headway in the market.

The pro IMO will also have to come in under the price of an equivalent iPad.

I don't think so. People now buy a tablet and when a new one comes out they run and buy the new one. Therefore, I think people who have an existing tablet will have no problems buying a Microsoft Slate when it comes out. The Microsoft Slate is a nice piece of hardware, packs a lot of features and has more value then an Android based device. At least that is how I feel. The Microsoft Surface is worth the price and people will being buying them.

Don't really believe they will be selling the Surface RT for $199, just seems to low.

They said it would be comparable with other tablets, that would be the iPad, so I think it will be at least $399 to $499

Then again, I hope I'm wrong, because for that price i'll buy 2 :)

I would be shocked to see the RT version under $499. I think at $199 I still wouldnt buy one for myself. I probly would for the kids. Im holding out for the PRO as a notebook replacement and expect that to be $999.

Hmm.. it has a great ui, has awesome multi-tasking, has email, browser, video, android. I don't see it as a fail at all. I mean, at least 3 of those things won't be on the surface. I'll let you guess which ones.

The Playbook didn't ship with so much as a native mail client at launch and was quite expensive for 7-inch. Just shows how important a successful launch is.

Given how late to the market microsoft is, $200 would be the necessary price point (especially now with the nexus 7 and other decent tablets coming in at that price point) for Microsoft to make any headway in the market.

The pro IMO will also have to come in under the price of an equivalent iPad.

Exactly what I was comming here to post.

Next to a Nexus 7, a +$200 entry level Surface would be a hard sell.

Next to a Nexus 7, a +$200 entry level Surface would be a hard sell.

For somebody like my mom a low-end Surface could be a notebook replacement. Especially with Microsoft Office installed. A Nexus 7, not so much.

I don't think the surface is a hard sell even at $299, regardless of what some may think it's not that restricted even for the RT version. Sure you can't run you desktop apps but the winrt side should support things like in-app purchasing which opens it up for amazon and others to sell you more content through their apps and not just what MS has through Xbox Music and Video. So even on the content consumption side I think it's got more going for it already. Besides, we're talking 2 versions here, 32GB and 64GB iirc, plus the two different types of covers to pick. Toss in office and a few other things and it's a easer sell compared to the Nexus 7 IMO.

I'm personally holding out for the Pro but if the RT, the base 32GB model, has a good price set for it I could see myself maybe buying both. I'd juse use the Pro as more of a laptop/desktop replacement and the RT for my media needs.

I don't think the surface is a hard sell even at $299,

Maybe. What's Surface RT's unique value proposition though: Office? At $299 you're only $100 away from an iPad. You could also easily get a used iPad for less.

Maybe. What's Surface RT's unique value proposition though: Office? At $299 you're only $100 away from an iPad. You could also easily get a used iPad for less.

I think for people like me it's the integration with the rest of their products (Xbox, WLive stuff).

I think for people like me it's the integration with the rest of their products (Xbox, WLive stuff).

Okay, yeah. That makes sense, if you've already bought into the ecosystem.

I see it as more flexible than an iPad. For all the people crying over "lock-in" and "walled gardens" compared to the iPad the Surface gives you more options for content and services. Sure you need to get apps through the store, but those apps aren't blocked from selling you other things, like a Amazon kindle app that looks and acts more or less like it does on the kindle fire for example. Then you can have others. As far as content goes the options are more the way I see it. Apples done pretty much everything it can think of to this point to stop these types of apps from working, it's pretty much against Apples rules to have in-app purchasing iirc. MS is bringing that to the phone in WP8, so it should also be in Win8 as well, I haven't heard anything that says otherwise.

I see it as more flexible than an iPad. For all the people crying over "lock-in" and "walled gardens" compared to the iPad the Surface gives you more options for content and services. Sure you need to get apps through the store, but those apps aren't blocked from selling you other things, like a Amazon kindle app that looks and acts more or less like it does on the kindle fire for example. Then you can have others. As far as content goes the options are more the way I see it. Apples done pretty much everything it can think of to this point to stop these types of apps from working, it's pretty much against Apples rules to have in-app purchasing iirc. MS is bringing that to the phone in WP8, so it should also be in Win8 as well, I haven't heard anything that says otherwise.

Apple takes 30% on in-app purchasing, that's the problem.

I see it as more flexible than an iPad. For all the people crying over "lock-in" and "walled gardens" compared to the iPad the Surface gives you more options for content and services.

The average user tends not to care about that.

I don't buy this pricing for a second. The RT's will be at least $500-600, Pros 3x that.

At $1500-1800, Pro will be DOA. It can't be more than $1000 at highest spec.

The cheapest 13" MacAir, with all their market leverage, is well over a thousand. And Surface is BETTER than an Air/ultrabook if mobility is your primary goal.

This is exactly the problem with not using a mobile OS like WP8 and instead opting for yet another 'full featured' tablet. Prices rise past the general demand's threshold. Surface is a niche product. Now, can Asus get a small 7" while meeting the requirements for RT under $400? Possible, but it won't be a Surface.

I just love this delusion that Win8+Surface, in any flavor, will directly compete with 'cheap' Droid or iOS slates.