Surface RT to cost $199?

Great UI. Subjective, but check. I disagree

Awesome multitasking. Check. Hmm.. pretty sure metro only allows 1, maybe 2 apps to be open and running in the forefront at one time, otherwise need the desktop.. which isn't present.

Email. Check.

Browser. Check.

Video. Check

Android. Nope.

so.. yea no.. my count of 3 is right :)

Wait. So, you disagree that a "great UI" is subjective? Uh... color me confused. Not sure how one's opinion, which is what your statement is, is objective. Perhaps, you misunderstand what subjective means?

As far as multitasking goes, Surface RT will allow two foreground apps while other apps will be given background tasks. On a mobile device, applications which are allowed to continuously run are not conducive to long battery life. So, this in theory is a benefit for the Surface.

Citing your opinion AND my opinion on the UI, that's a wash at worst. Also, "awesome" multitasking is subjective as well. So, subtracting all subjectivity, let us now compare the features you've listed.

UI - Check for both.

Multitasking - Check for both

Email. Check for both.

Browser. Check for both.

Video. Check for both

Android. Check for the playbook.

It would appear that the feature count remains the same. FIve out of six.

Now, if you want to admit the subjective into the discussion and state that you are offering your opinion, I can work with that. Likewise, if I offer my opinion, I'd say that Surface RT has five out of five of the features you listed and one that would be awful to have in Android. That's my opinion, which is not objective by any measure.

Microsoft does have a lousy track record when it comes to international launches in recent years. I'm not getting my hopes up seeing the Surface in stores before 2013.

I would be surprised if they did it in the store before 2013 given that Windows RT includes Office 2013 and from what I understand Office 2013 is still in heavy development with an estimated shipping time being early 2013 by some in the industry.

This is my concern too.

It is something I can never quite understand - well, I can understand hardware sales might take longer because you're physically handling a product but it took ages for software sales to come to my neck of the woods so I don't hold out much hope for the Surface.

I would be surprised if they did it in the store before 2013 given that Windows RT includes Office 2013 and from what I understand Office 2013 is still in heavy development with an estimated shipping time being early 2013 by some in the industry.

They have said that Windows RT will ship with preview version of Office 2013.

Superior mobility? Macbook Air is essentially a laptop which can be used everywhere (on a plane, in a car, ...), but MS Surface is more like the iPad and needs hard surface for a keyboard.

Surface is clearly more mobile. If not, what is the advantage of slates like the iPad again? Mobility. A slate can be used anywhere easier than a laptop, regardless of profile. Its keyboard alone is clearly a tradeoff of mobility over size/weight. Can you use an Air comfortably standing up? Exactly.

They have said that Windows RT will ship with preview version of Office 2013.

Maybe that explains what Mary Jo Foley was going on about when she was talking about 'blue' - could this 'blue' be the update that updates Windows RT to having a final code Office 2013 as well as bug fixes.