'SimCity' releasing on Mac in early 2013, PC beta announced

I would love to sign up but i anticipate a busy few months ahead (baby due) so i won't be able to play much of the beta anyway :(

And i thought SimCity 4 was great. Especially when you added in the Rush Hour expansion and had added traffic management.

Isn't Origin that wacky DRM thing? Have they improved it so it's not so invasive?

Well, it's "like Steam" just totally not as powerful and versatile. It's a bad joke actually and just clutters up your experience if you're an avid Steam user.

It's a client, just like Steam. It's as invasive as Steam, which is to say it isn't.

They've improved its less favorable points, at least. (The 9.0 beta cleared up the last thing I didn't like about it.)

It's not invasive? Last time I checked the program scans your system for files EA deems unacceptable. aka it's spyware

I dispise that client and their prices are a slap in your face. EA being greedy and anti-gamer all around again.

I was really looking forward to SimCity, but obviously it arriving on Origin, I might think about it again and just get Cities XL or something.

Glassed Silver:win

Is anyone else having issues uploading the DxDiag file ?

I browse to where it lives and in the box on the sign up page it says: C:\fakepath\DxDiag.txt

I hit Submit but get a message saying:

File upload error. Could not move uploaded file.

DXDIAG file is required.

Any ideas ?

I had the same problem. After I renamed the file, it allowed to upload it.

I browse to where it lives and in the box on the sign up page it says: C:\fakepath\DxDiag.txt

DXDIAG file is required.

Any ideas ?

DXDIAG file is required.

Any ideas ?

I had that but it uploaded fine anyways.... wierd

It's not invasive? Last time I checked the program scans your system for files EA deems unacceptable. aka it's spyware

Last you checked someone TOLD you that's what it did without actually having any proof. EA denied it.

Not only that, you can opt out of most data gathering in the latest Origin 9.0 beta, which Steam doesn't let you do.

I had that but it uploaded fine anyways.... wierd

Make the filename unique :p

I don't know why, but I've had the Simcity 2000 music stuck in my head for the past few days. Man that was a fun game. Then I got Simcity 4, which I also enjoy playing occasionally. Sadly I think that's the end of the line for me, I won't be getting the new game until it doesn't require an internet connection (ref: never, more than likely).

I had the same problem. After I renamed the file, it allowed to upload it.

Not working here. :/ Even after I've renamed it and moved it, it still display the error.

Last you checked someone TOLD you that's what it did without actually having any proof.??EA denied it.

Not only that, you can opt out of most data gathering in the latest Origin 9.0 beta, which Steam doesn't let you do.

Oh, that's cool then, I stand corrected.

Last time I checked it was my federal consumer protection agency was investigating these claims and wanted to sue, so I took it quite serious.

As I said, I stand corrected and I'm sorry for the FUD I did spread hence.

In that regard, Origin "only" has those two letdowns left:

-Original prices, same as boxed even... eugh...

-clutters up the experience for Steam users, as Origin is the only place to buy games digitally (for new releases) afaik, I'm sure there are exceptions, but at least with their AAA selection they make sure to boost their POS Origin, which by the way has a horrible desgin :p

The specific letdowns of BF3 I will not count against Origin's bill of sins, but EA's general one :p

Glassed Silver:mac

Steam, and now Origin. It's nice to see that more producers are working to bring gaming to other platforms.

Also, Origin doesn't do any more spying than Steam, they stopped it scanning your hard drive folders and registry a long time ago. Granted it lags a long way behind in features though.

• Like 1

Steam, and now Origin. It's nice to see that more producers are working to bring gaming to other platforms.

Also, Origin doesn't do any more spying than Steam, they stopped it scanning your hard drive folders and registry a long time ago. Granted it lags a long way behind in features though.

That's good to hear, because it makes EA Origin games buyable for me again hence...

I sweared to myself earlier not to buy any more PC Origin titles, now I know I can lift that ban from myself! :laugh:

'cause, let's be honest, EA is horrible, but some of their titles are rather cool, albeit they tend to be repetitive sometimes. :)

Glassed Silver:win

I love Sim City, but I'm hesitant to even pay attention to this one because of EA, and from what I've read there on a "hey, it's ok to play alone, but wouldn't it be even more fun if your friends cities were all around you too! Ask them on Facebook!" kick with this one.

• 5 weeks later...

For me the franchise died after SimCity 3000. Hopefully this will revive it, but I'm not holding my breath.

This. But for me, 3000 Unlimited. Everything after that - not worth it. Kind of like everything after NFS:Underground 2, (maybe NFS:MW) /rant.

• Like 1