Windows 8 ISOs don't have ei.cfg anymore?

They are the same files, but if I remember correctly they weren't in ISO form and they had to turn the install files into a bootable ISO. CRC checks are unlikely to match the official ISOs, and it wouldn't shock me at all if they aren't 100% identical otherwise because they may have had to hack it a bit. I think they messed with the EULA as well.

This post over on WinUnleaked addresses this issue... http://winunleaked.info/threads/480-install-wim-is-different-between-Leaked-Win-8-Pro-x64-EN-ISO-Official-MSDN-TechNet-ISO

OH NOOOO.... :( one letter off not getting shot!!

Imagine if my life properly depended on me getting that right and I was one letter wrong.... :s

Some times you don't even need to be one letter off.

Derek Bentley was hanged for murder after telling his friend- "Let him have it, Chris!" - in responce to the police asking for the weapon.

http://en.wikipedia....i/Derek_Bentley

Yes I noticed that too and was concerned as to how one would go about "unlocking" all SKUs like in Windows 7 where simply removing the ei.cfg would do it. So looking over another all-in-one download that did unlock several SKUs I noticed that a ei.cfg was created that essentially did the same thing. I've tried it and it works to unlock the SKUs. Just create the file with notepad and add it to the \sources directory (where it was in win 7) and you will get the result below. The ei.cfg file I used is shown below. You can also make an all-in-one disk that this attached graphic is from by following easy instructions here (this is for win 7 but it adapts easily and works the same for win8 (I've tested!): http://www.techpower...ad.php?t=145356 By the way, using this ei.cfg file also had the effect of giving the menu instead of having to enter a key. You can therefore install without a key--it does ask for a key at the end (instead of the beginning) of the install but, also, using this file gives you a "skip" option at that point! Of course you'll need something eventually to activate.

ei.cfg file:

[Channel]

volume

[VL]

I ran across this post (http://winunleaked.i...-Windows-8-ISOs) over on WinUnleaked referencing takeahike's post and I have the same questions.

Since I have basically the same questions, I'll just quote the WinUnleaked questions...

Question: What exactly is going on with this ei.cfg file and why would it work, especially if one was going to use a OEM or Retail Product Key? Are OEM and/or Retail versions basically subsets of Volume License so that setting the [Channel] to "volume" and [VL] to 1 (true) makes the Windows setup the most flexible? I'm just trying to have a better understanding of how and why this ei.cfg file would work and how it ties into Windows 8 setup and the types of Product Keys that would be accepted.

I have done some testing on this.

Adding the ei.cfg with the [Channel] section at a minimum activates the screen which allows you to choose an edition to install, then asks for the product key at the end with the option to Skip.

If you press Skip, it will install Windows with the "Default Product Key", which will work until you need to activate, and then Windows will force you to change the product key before you are able to activate.

Personally I think that it is better to avoid the ei.cfg trick altogether. There is no need for it as the same unmodified media can be used to install Core or Pro editions, as it is based on the Product key, not which disc you put in or edition you manually select (as was the case with Windows 7 & Vista respectively).

If you do find yourself in a situation where you need to install Windows but you temporarily do not have the Product Key yet, having access to the Default Product Key on an as-needed basis to install the edition you need will have exactly the same effect as having used the ei.cfg trick, as the ei.cfg trick uses the Default Product Key by itself anyway. It is no different than keying in one of the Default Product Keys yourself.

Whether you use the simple ei.cfg trick or you use an unofficially documented Default Product Key, the installation will go exactly the same.

Also referring to the "Windows 8" edition as "Core" is perfectly valid as this is the internal code name for this edition if you look at the slmgr /dlv command. If needs a separate name to help differentiate that you are referring to an edition rather than the OS itself. "Windows 8", "Windows 8 Professional" and "Windows 8 Enterprise" are just the marketing names, not the technical names.

• 6 years later...
  • Brandon H locked this topic

hello @Saisaran this support topic was from 2012

If you are having trouble with the EI.CFG file in your modified ISO please feel free to start your own topic with a description of your current troubles :)

thread closed