Rayman Legends Will Be a Wii U Exclusive

Wonder how much Nintendo is paying these companies for exclusives. Must be an assload to betray the consoles and fans that made these franchises a success.

I'd assume they didn't pay anything for Rayman Legends, that was just Ubisoft's choice for a game they could get out rather quickly and tailored towards the Wii U (I do remember a fuss about the engine that Rayman runs on allowing the developers to create levels and assets extremely quickly). Ubisoft always support console launches, moreso than any other company, even if only a couple of games they launch are worth it and the rest is just there for a quick money grab.

For Bayonetta, Sega had dropped it anyway, so they didn't have to pay much for exclusivity. They brought the game back from the dead and became it's publisher, exclusivity was kind of a given :p

Must be an assload to betray the consoles and fans that made these franchises a success.

and which console is being betrayed here? I am not all that familiar with Rayman but I mainly have seen the game on Nintendo. I know since then xbox and ps have had multiple releases of rayman games. Dont get me wrong, I hate exclusives just as much as the next guy but I understand it from a business perspective.

and which console is being betrayed here? I am not all that familiar with Rayman but I mainly have seen the game on Nintendo. I know since then xbox and ps have had multiple releases of rayman games. Dont get me wrong, I hate exclusives just as much as the next guy but I understand it from a business perspective.

The original Rayman game was released on Atari Jaguar. So no betrayal here. It was then ported to Playstation, Saturn and NIntendo consoles (Gameboy and maybe N64 not sure about N64 tough).

The Saturn can't be considered a betrayal ;)

Rayman has been a success on Playstation consoles and Gameboy mostly. It has appeared on XBox consoles but mostly a flop i think. Anyway can't be said the XBox made Rayman success.

SO basically they "betray" the Playstation only. So console should be singular in his message.

I don't think real exclusivity actually makes sense from a business perspective unless you get money from the manufacturer.

But in this case a time exclusivity could be used as a marketing stunt. Sorta like Splinter Cell xbox time exclusivity.

Let's be honest Rayman is not as popular as it used to be. Releasing it as a lauch exclusite title will make people talk about it then you can still release it for the PS3 and XBox 360 couple of months or weeks later.

It looks like a good game. But nothing that could not be done on a tablet probably. But since the Wii U cost about the same as a tablet might not be a problem.

Still not enough to make me want to purchase a Wii U yet. I might think about it later on if they are going to release a Metroid game for it. However, the Wii only had one metroid game :(

Still not enough to make me want to purchase a Wii U yet. I might think about it later on if they are going to release a Metroid game for it. However, the Wii only had one metroid game :(

Well, two. But I think it's fair to say most of us do like to imagine Metroid: Other M never actually existed :p (The Prime Trilogy box was nice though).

I don't think real exclusivity actually makes sense from a business perspective unless you get money from the manufacturer.

thats what I meant, the console company paying for the exclusive - games push the console so companies need to do something to reel people in. I know the only reason I bought a PS2 back in the day was to play GTA, Im sure others did the same for Halo, Gears of War, God of War, etc. Obviously the people who own all 3 consoles dont worry about things like this (unless its exclusive DLC - which that is all BS to me).

Wonder how much Nintendo is paying these companies for exclusives. Must be an assload to betray the consoles and fans that made these franchises a success.

These days a lot of gamers have 2 consoles of any generation, if not more. I used to have a PS2, Xbox and GameCube. Still have the PS2, sold the GameCube because I now have a Wii. Stopped playing any games on the Xbox a long time ago, and have some backwards compatibility on the 360. I don't have a PS3 this generation, but that's fine. For mobile gaming I've got my Windows Phone, a BlackBerry PlayBook and an iPod touch. Missing out on an Android device (gf has a Nexus 7 though), a 3DS and a Vita, but that's still half the available platforms. When next gen comes around, I'm sure I'll have at least 2 of the consoles (eventually).

thats what I meant, the console company paying for the exclusive - games push the console so companies need to do something to reel people in. I know the only reason I bought a PS2 back in the day was to play GTA, Im sure others did the same for Halo, Gears of War, God of War, etc. Obviously the people who own all 3 consoles dont worry about things like this (unless its exclusive DLC - which that is all BS to me).

It could be development effort. Given that the Wii U is an incremental upgrade from the 360, it makes sense if you made a game with the 360 as the lead platform to make its sequel on the Wii U. I doubt Nintendo had to twist Platinum's arm too much to make Bayonetta 2 a Wii U exclusive. They might decide to swing back and put Bayonetta 3 on the next gen Xbox, as that would be the next logical hardware upgrade from the Wii U.

• 1 month later...

Damn, just got an email from Amazon since I had this preordered that it has been delayed until March 2013, Googled it and sure enough there it was on a few game sites a few weeks back. What is crazy is this still falls into Nintendo's Launch Window. :s

Oh well, as much as I am looking forward to the game, that is fine with me, March is when things usually slow down to a crawl to play (not so much next year though), so a new Rayman game to play then sounds good.

Damn, just got an email from Amazon since I had this preordered that it has been delayed until March 2013, Googled it and sure enough there it was on a few game sites a few weeks back. What is crazy is this still falls into Nintendo's Launch Window. :s

Oh well, as much as I am looking forward to the game, that is fine with me, March is when things usually slow down to a crawl to play (not so much next year though), so a new Rayman game to play then sounds good.

I still think it is a bit of a blow for Ninty not to have RL available immediately after launch. I think a lot of people were looking forward to that title.

Although, it does work out better for people like me who will probably wait until mid next year to pick up a Wii U. ?\_(?)_/?

I still think it is a bit of a blow for Ninty not to have RL available immediately after launch. I think a lot of people were looking forward to that title.

It was easily one of the top launch titles, so a delay is pretty disappointing.