What is the name of your WiFi Network (SSID)?

So okay, you can't find my address that easily, but still. I don't really see what the issue is with people knowing your address.

Well then why don't you list yours?

How about someone does not like what you post, and pays you a visit? What if you mention your going on holiday and someone stops by and grabs your computer

etc. etc.

This is a public forum not your work, not your family, not your school, its not the phone book where its just a bunch of random names. Do you hand out your personal info to everyone you meet? Well in "theory" if you post your ssid, and its in the database I linked too - someone could google you, find this post, look up your location.

Mind you this is tin foil hat stuff, don't get me wrong. My point is not the likely hood of someone finding you, or that you must keep all your personal info private.

My point is that people hide their machines private IP address 192.168.1.100 -- which is prob the default address for like 100 million computers on the planet since many routers default to starting their dhcp scope at .100, etc. And is not routeable address on the public net. It is arbitrary info with no way to tie it back to me, its like if I tell you there are 14 windows in my house or I like brand X of beer and wearing a blue shirt today.

Now again it seems like many people here are just making **** up to be funny. But I just don't get the thought process, is the point of my post, lets hide 192.168.1.100 -- but hey you want something that in "theory" could give you my exact address. Sure here you go! Just confusing is all.

btw -- the person "hiding your ssid" or not broadcasting.. Clearly you don't understand that its hiding it from grandma across the street sure.. But every single box that connects to it is broadcasting it!! Anyone doing any war driving is going to see it more than likely. Not broadcasting your ssid is is most likely the dumbest possible thing you could do. It does not hide it, it makes harder for you to join your own network. It can and does cause issues, and can lower the performance of your wireless network. A client looking to roam is going to send out probes, lots of them!! Clients will look to roam depending on the signal strength, the interference, etc. So unless you have told your client NOT to roam, and have a really great super perfect signal.. Your client is scanning (probes) looking for better AP to connect to, which have the SSID in them. But hey sure -- lets not broadcast it :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Wooah clam down budman..everythings gonna be all right! I'm sure that someone posting their ssid isn't gonna cause any harm. Just bc I know your ssid doesn't mean I got your addr. That site u mentioned is outdated in my area let alone a bigger city! Just like how dated MapQuest data is..LOL

"Wooah clam down budman"

:blink: Who said anything about being excited? Or not calm? Is it that my post was more than 3 words put together that got you worked up?

You try and have a discussion about the topic at hand, and string more than a sentence together and people think your getting worked up?

That's great that the database I linked to is outdated for your area? What does that have to do with my question? Does not matter if the data was 3 years old or 3 weeks. I still am not understanding the lack of concern with posting such info.. Is it that people can post 1 word posts to get their count up, and feel they are participating without having to construct a full sentence? ;)

Maybe I should start a thread asking for SS numbers?? And see how many takers we get, mean it doesn't have your name on it - so its arbitrary info ;)