Advertisement in metro apps?!?

How is this any different to Windows Live Messenger including ads? Besides, the image you showed isn't exactly the worst example of ads in a free app. At least it's not like Android or those crazy, flashy ads you get on some websites. In fact, I'm going to say they're actually pretty classy; like ads you see in upscale magazines. At least they target the user. An ad for an airline company in a travel app makes pretty good sense to me. And they are always the last thing you see on the panorama, so you have to actually slide all the way to the end to actually see it.

It could be worse. Much, much worse...

This difference is that live messenger, and those Android apps, are all things you choose to download and install.

This if finally catching up with everyone:

Lets get one thing straight, I do not personally know Steve Ballmer. But its videos like this that make me NOT want to know him also. I have never seen anyone be as passionate about the company they work for, but then again if your getting paid what he is by Microsoft, then maybe your attitude would be different. I just dont like him based on everything I have seen about him.

This difference is that live messenger, and those Android apps, are all things you choose to download and install.

Even then you'd still make a fuss about the apps having ads, people make a fuss about live messenger having ads for years now. It wouldn't change a thing in the end, all people see is, apps is from MS, MS is getting paid for Windows, MS apps shouldn't have ads regardless.

The way you get them doesn't matter in the end.

Even then you'd still make a fuss about the apps having ads, people make a fuss about live messenger having ads for years now. It wouldn't change a thing in the end, all people see is, apps is from MS, MS is getting paid for Windows, MS apps shouldn't have ads regardless.

The way you get them doesn't matter in the end.

I have -never- complained about ads in Live Messenger. Now you're just making baseless, and incorrect, assumptions.

I have -never- complained about ads in Live Messenger. Now you're just making baseless, and incorrect, assumptions.

I was speaking generally, "people make a fuss about live messenger". You can't call these baseless, incorrect or even assumptions. Live messenger has been getting ad patched for years, it's something people (maybe not all of them but enough) bring up time and again. The fact is most just don't want ads in any free app, even websites, of all things, people don't want ads in there either. My point stands, the way you get them either automatically after install or manually wouldn't change most peoples opinion on the matter of ads in free apps.

I was speaking generally, "people make a fuss about live messenger". You can't call these baseless, incorrect or even assumptions. Live messenger has been getting ad patched for years, it's something people (maybe not all of them but enough) bring up time and again. The fact is most just don't want ads in any free app, even websites, of all things, people don't want ads in there either. My point stands, the way you get them either automatically after install or manually wouldn't change most peoples opinion on the matter of ads in free apps.

I hate that there are ads in some of these apps but honestly I don't see myself ever using those apps except for may be weather. I mostly set location in weather app and let the live tile do the job. The chances of me getting in that app and then scrolling to the extreme right on a day-to-day basis are extremely slim.

I don't see a point and I think Microsoft should drop them for gathering some goodwill for Windows 8. It is highly controversial already, why risk more?

I don't see a point and I think Microsoft should drop them for gathering some goodwill for Windows 8. It is highly controversial already, why risk more?

Windows 8 is one big testing ground for how people will respond to the new interface, so why not include ads while they're at it? Microsoft is just seeing if they can charge $70-200 for an OS, plaster ads all over its build-in apps and get away with it.

I just hoped that the ads are placed only on the sides but there are ads just above the app bar as well (can't remember which app). Not really a deal breaker. Those are free apps anyway. I just wish that the ads remain static images and not animated ****.

Windows 8 is one big testing ground for how people will respond to the new interface, so why not include ads while they're at it? Microsoft is just seeing if they can charge $70-200 for an OS, plaster ads all over its build-in apps and get away with it.

That is pretty much it but given that the ads won't be seen by many, what's the point of adding them in the first place. :/ It's ironic that one of their worst offenders with ads (Hotmail/Outlook) is moving away from too many ads while one of their primary and important paid products is adding ads to the mix. It's not like that the Windows price was slashed drastically and permanently that they should feel the need for it. I think this is the negative influence from the crazies that are in charge of the Xbox UI since last year. :/

I don't have any ads in my weather. Ooops! There it is. I have never scrolled it before. Grrr! That's ridiculous!

GRRRR ridiculous indeed, someone had to point it out to you because you never noticed it before, but now that you know it's there you're furious!!!

• Like 1

Exactly. But still no one has created any reg hacks to get rid of them. At least none that I can find. Hopefully soon. Now we know why Win8 will be the cheapest Windows ever.

After months of careful consideration Microsoft finally came up with the definitive name for their new interface:

Metro UI, Windows 8 UI, Modern UI, Advertising UI

Windows users everywhere rejoice!

• Like 2

Exactly. But still no one has created any reg hacks to get rid of them. At least none that I can find. Hopefully soon. Now we know why Win8 will be the cheapest Windows ever.

Apparently I should have added a /s to the end of my post :p

Apparently I should have added a /s to the end of my post :p

LMAO!! It still bugs me though. I still never see them unless I scroll to the end. Which I never do. I view the parts I need to and that's it. As long as these ads do not affect my system like malware, I'm golden. Hell, I will not be giving Win8 up unless this occurs.

After months of careful consideration Microsoft finally came up with the definitive name for their new interface:

It's so revolutionary, amazingly awesome. :rofl:

And it only cost $100M to come up with that name. :p

I just hoped that the ads are placed only on the sides but there are ads just above the app bar as well (can't remember which app). Not really a deal breaker. Those are free apps anyway. I just wish that the ads remain static images and not animated ****.

That will all depend on the developer and it sucks to say but most will stick a ****ty banner ad over the appbar hoping for those accidental clicks. This applies to developers of all platform unfortunately. Good design and forethought doesn't come cheap.

Considering MS serve you quite a few ads when you BUY an Xbox and then BUY Xbox Live, how is anyone surprised they've now found there way into Windows? :p

They've basically Xbox'd Windows, trying to push it more "closed and tailored" to what they want in terms of how you experience it.

Apple do it with the hardware, MS are beginning to do it heavily on the software front. Great future for us....

Anyways, the stock Music app is ****. Pushes my own content off the screen to promote the Xbox music store. And even then, the layout for your own content looks like ass compared to how they layout the store content.

Just change the option so it defaults to My Music?

(a lot of us don't even have local music anymore on most machines and instead just stream stuff, so the default works better for that setup)