Advertisement in metro apps?!?

Just change the option so it defaults to My Music?

(a lot of us don't even have local music anymore on most machines and instead just stream stuff, so the default works better for that setup)

My Music/Video should have been default. The xbox+windows teams working on this are either complete *idiots* or trying push the Xbox services. I would give you streaming music angle but what's their excuse for the Video app? The movie/TV prices on Xbox are on an average costlier than the other options I have (Amazon, iTunes, FiOS) and hence I have no use for it as it stands today.

When I start the Video app I don't want some teen or hip-hop sensation taking full screen but I want to get to my own content (which in Video apps' case is my home movies). I am pretty sure others think in the same manner.

It's easy to change defaults but the it doesn't change the fact that the defaults are stupid. I mean imagine if the Photos app defaults into something like a Shutterfly storefront.

Nor are the defaults themselves sensible since most won't be ZunePass members. (More slate/store bias) You can't exactly say that its easy to setup streaming from conventional locations like WHS or a NAS since those will show up just like local content anyway via Libraries. So again, to base the default on a subscription service speaks to more of the same problem that the ads themselves present. Its just one big marketing vehicle for other services with little care for its ability to compete or replace normal apps.

• Like 2

Nor are the defaults themselves sensible since most won't be ZunePass members. (More slate/store bias) You can't exactly say that its easy to setup streaming from conventional locations like WHS or a NAS since those will show up just like local content anyway via Libraries. So again, to base the default on a subscription service speaks to more of the same problem that the ads themselves present. Its just one big marketing vehicle for other services with little care for its ability to compete or replace normal apps.

You do realize that GA isn't for another 2 months so the apps will have updates and changes to them before this point right?

Um, yes. I've said elsewhere the 60 day timer is running to get off their asses and fix them. Sadly, there has been next to zero progress since the RP so I'm not holding my breath. Why should they when the echo chamber not only says they are 'good enough' but usable and great? They couldn't even vet the theme or find a solution to the obviously insurmountable hurdle of preserving a classic menu in some form as an olive branch. They couldn't even engineer a Spotlight type replacement for start search. I'm using 'Run' again for god's sakes.

Do you know how angry it makes me that I'm clamoring for ****ing Mac features at this point?!?

Um, yes. I've said elsewhere the 60 day timer is running to get off their asses and fix them. Sadly, there has been next to zero progress since the RP so I'm not holding my breath. Why should they when the echo chamber not only says they are 'good enough' but usable and great? They couldn't even vet the theme or find a solution to the obviously insurmountable hurdle of preserving a classic menu in some form as an olive branch. They couldn't even engineer a Spotlight type replacement for start search. I'm using 'Run' again for god's sakes.

Do you know how angry it makes me that I'm clamoring for ****ing Mac features at this point?!?

Why do you need a spotlight replacement? Just press start, and then start typing...it works...I promise.

• 2 weeks later...

For all you idiots who think the Included apps are not part of windows, THEY ARE PART OF WINDOWS, just as much as explorer, notepad and paint. You can't uninstall them, and the "uninstall" option just hides it from your start screen. ALL new users will have the apps rolled into their fresh new local accounts. If I recall correctly, the files for those apps are under windows resource protection, meaning that sfc will scan and replace those files if they are tampered with. Also, there's the fact that the only way to get these apps is by buying windows 8, and if you do happen to buy windows 8, you get these apps whether you want to or not. They're not an option. They're not an extra. They're part of the Windows 8 OS that you paid for, just like everything else that is on the windows install disk.

This applies to video app as well

post-62693-0-91385600-1345348926_thumb.p

Thanks a million thats the only thing that annoys me about music and video in windows 8.

As for the ads a good network firewall will take care of those once and for all :shifty:

Thanks a million thats the only thing that annoys me about music and video in windows 8.

As for the ads a good network firewall will take care of those once and for all :shifty:

It's probably possible to use windows' built in firewall to block the ads. I'll have to try and see....

For all you idiots who think the Included apps are not part of windows, THEY ARE PART OF WINDOWS, just as much as explorer, notepad and paint. You can't uninstall them, and the "uninstall" option just hides it from your start screen. ALL new users will have the apps rolled into their fresh new local accounts. If I recall correctly, the files for those apps are under windows resource protection, meaning that sfc will scan and replace those files if they are tampered with. Also, there's the fact that the only way to get these apps is by buying windows 8, and if you do happen to buy windows 8, you get these apps whether you want to or not. They're not an option. They're not an extra. They're part of the Windows 8 OS that you paid for, just like everything else that is on the windows install disk.

This is 100% wrong

Does this completely eliminate the ad, or is there still an empty rectangle/square where the ad was?

It gets rid of the ad in android in 99% of the cases without seeing any traces.

On windows 8 over here too without any traces ^^

You are 100% wrong about me being 100% wrong.

Sorry, but this is another case where your handle on here is very fitting. The uninstall option actually does uninstall the program from the PC. You have to actually visit the store to reinstall the app. It's not loaded on anymore. The only other way of getting it back (minus visiting the store) is to refresh the PC...which is basically like reinstalling Windows, but keeps some of your files.

Ad Muncher's a great tool for just this purpose, it integrates itself into Windows networking stack so when it's upgraded to support Windows 8 I can imagine it saving people some headache.

You are 100% wrong about me being 100% wrong.

Drop it. You're making yourself look stupid.

OP: Have been using it for more than 2 weeks now and ads never really bothered me that much.

Ad Muncher's a great tool for just this purpose, it integrates itself into Windows networking stack so when it's upgraded to support Windows 8 I can imagine it saving people some headache.

Does AdMuncher leave a blank rectangle or does it hide the container as well?

Drop it. You're making yourself look stupid.

OP: Have been using it for more than 2 weeks now and ads never really bothered me that much.

Does AdMuncher leave a blank rectangle or does it hide the container as well?

Ad Muncher hides the container as well. At least it does it for me right now in Windows 7 with all ads in my browser.

would you rather have full-screen background ads? (personally, I'm fine with them if they're done right, but I could see this quickly get to the :x stage)

I guess they gotta make money some way

You mean like charging for the OS? Which they are doing already? Have ads in a paid OS is a little ridiculous.

• Like 1

You mean like charging for the OS? Which they are doing already? Have ads in a paid OS is a little ridiculous.

:) I've replied to this twice in this thread already:

(on the 4th page)

Yes, buy selling you the software in the first place. This is an operating system, not an advertising platform.

(on the 2nd page)

What do you mean by they gotta make money some way ?!!? Windows 8 is not free last time I checked, so I don't see why a rich corporation like Microsoft needs to metamorphose their OS into an advertisement platform.

After a couple of days messing around with Windows 8, I can only assume that Microsoft wants to switch from a business-oriented framework to a media & entertainment model.

All in all, I can't see one good reason for any business to upgrade. There's absolutely nothing in Windows 8 justifying the investment, mainly because all the "new features" seems to have been design for the purpose of remodeling their flagship product into the next xbox.

Anyways, only time will tell if this is successful or not for desktop users. My guess is that it won't...

And my response to both of them:

I was being a little sarcastic with that last sentence ;)

but you never know, they could pull another Xbox 360 and sell it [the Surface] for less than it costs to make, then make up the difference in app sales & ads

By some people's logic here, iMovie and iPhoto on a Mac PC should have advertisements in it!!

It's ridiculous the things fanboys defend.

You're paying for iMovie and iPhoto by purchasing your rather expensive Mac, whereas with Windows 8, almost all of the included apps do not have advertisements (it's mostly just these third-party apps, and, yes, you do see ads in third party iOS, Android, and even OSX apps)