Myth - Modern UI apps are for touch only

works fine with all input types.

If the Metro UI works fine for you with a mouse/trackpad and keyboard, then that's great. In my opinion, you simply have really low standards then. :)

In my opinion, you simply have really low standards then. :)

How comes everyone round here decides to resort to personal insults when they don;t agree with something?

I find it works fine, i run a web design business, all machine run Windows 8 and productivity is up. Now that's my personal findings and some may disagree, that's fine, everyone is welcome to their opinions.

However tacking on sly little digs like "You must have low standards" is so childish and seems to be coming more and more commonplace. Hell of a lot of keyboard warriors treading the Neowin boards these days and to be honest i wish they weren't. This used to be a good place where you could discuss the latest tech and offer opinion without childish little wannabes coming along and making sarcastic little digs at the other users just because they didn't agree with them.

Shall we keep this adult and mature for once?

• Like 2

I find it works fine, i run a web design business, all machine run Windows 8 and productivity is up. Now that's my personal findings and some may disagree

And where does the Metro UI and its apps come into play there? Since that's what the thread is about.

News, messaging, Twitter, People, weather, mail...

Fair enough. Like I said, that's great if it works for you. Personally I find it a really mediocre experience with trackpad/mouse and keyboard input.

Fair enough. Like I said, that's great if it works for you. Personally I find it a really mediocre experience with trackpad/mouse and keyboard input.

Ah! That's where you've unstuck me!

After all this, i've not actually tried it on trackpad but to be fair, i'm not a huge fan of trackpads anyway. I'll have to give it a try in the office tomorrow and see if it's bad.

The Metro UI works fine with mouse&keyboard as long as you don't mind

- long cursor travel distances

if you'd prefer to use the keyboard, be my guest. Windows comes with many built-in keyboard commands (Win + Z, Win + Q, etc.)

- constantly right-clicking just to bring up the UI

actually, it's pretty easy for the developers of an app to make the AppBar "sticky" or automatically come up only when it's necessary. If the app that you're using doesn't do that, then it's a design flaw in the app, not in Windows.

- lack of proper drag and drop support

if you're talking about inter-app drag & drop, then you're right. but with the new Save and Open contracts, drag & drop is somewhat useless (though I'll admit - it would be nice)

- mostly nonexistent contextual menus

keyword here is mostly - they're still very much implemented (check with the IE app, for instance), it's just most of their functionality has been transferred to the Charms or AppBar.

- being forced to select something then click somewhere else to perform an action on the selected item (in the Music app for example to play a song) instead of simple double-clicking

again, it's more of an app design issue than a Metro issue. if the apps are developed right, they're great. if not, they're not great. that's just the way it is, for Metro and desktop apps.

There is often literally no visible UI unless you right-click first in Metro. Look at the reader app for example. And it disappears again as soon as you perform a single action.

again, it's easy for the developers to make an app bar sticky. I honestly have no idea why they didn't.

Moving objects between apps and within the app, like selecting a song and dragging it into a playlist.

again, it's possible, and we're sure to see apps that implement this as more apps fill up the Marketplace in anticipation of the RTW.

Right-clicking the start screen should bring up a contextual menu. Also right-clicking search results for example.

when you right-click the start screen, it does bring up a contextual menu. it's just at the bottom of the screen ;D

To everyone thinking that Metro was designed for tablets, that the MS designers are stupid, that Metro wasn't made for desktops, and so on: Microsoft is not stupid.

Microsoft often gets hundreds of "normal" users to test their new features, in order to find out what's good and what can be improved. If some Metro app is made a certain way, there's a UX reason behind it.

If the desktop has a "Start" menu and not a "System" menu, it's because users didn't dare to click on the "System" menu.

You don't like it. You think it was made for netbooks with 13'' screens. Do you really think Microsoft is so stupid, they'd release an interface nobody likes? Their future depends on it - if people stop buying new versions of Windows and Office, MS is toast.

Stop taking your own personal opinion for the truth.

okay?

There is often literally no visible UI unless you right-click first in Metro. Look at the reader app for example. And it disappears again as soon as you perform a single action.

Moving objects between apps and within the app, like selecting a song and dragging it into a playlist.

Right-clicking the start screen should bring up a contextual menu. Also right-clicking search results for example.

okay?

I have simple solution for you :p don't right click that far off to avoid cursor travel

To everyone thinking that Metro was designed for tablets, that the MS designers are stupid, that Metro wasn't made for desktops, and so on: Microsoft is not stupid.

Microsoft often gets hundreds of "normal" users to test their new features, in order to find out what's good and what can be improved. If some Metro app is made a certain way, there's a UX reason behind it.

If the desktop has a "Start" menu and not a "System" menu, it's because users didn't dare to click on the "System" menu.

You don't like it. You think it was made for netbooks with 13'' screens. Do you really think Microsoft is so stupid, they'd release an interface nobody likes? Their future depends on it - if people stop buying new versions of Windows and Office, MS is toast.

Stop taking your own personal opinion for the truth.

Gaah you know what? It's no use, those who don't like* it are not going to like it. I had fun with this back and forth before 8 RTMed but I am done arguing now that it is running as my primary PC at home. The whiner can whine all they want, 8 is here to stay until 9 comes along. If you don't like 8, don't use it. Stay on 7 or move over to Mac/Linux or do what you want.

I am done with 8, now waiting for leaks on Blue/9.

All my posts henceforth will be lighthearted jabs at everyone. I am going to be Neophen Winbert. :p

*like is used in a loose manner, calm down. everything's going to be ok.