how to make win7 as fast as win8 ?

just to avoid the win8 metro ui tragedy. what are some of the major tweaks we can make to win7 to make it as snappy as win8? some reg hacks /settings etc?

You can't. You think it took them 3 years of dev just to be able to release a few registry/settings hacks? Heck, the UI isn't even polished.

To avoid your "tragedy", just use classic shell and be done with it. You're not 24/7 staring at metro, ffs.

are you guys sure? there was a blogpost on msdn showing some of these improvements. i dont have a link to it anymore.

plus im sure neowinians are smart improvisers and will figure something out. ;-)

are you guys sure? there was a blogpost on msdn showing some of these improvements. i dont have a link to it anymore.

No there was not at all as the improvements in windows 8 go far beyond the start screen and stuff as the performance improvements you ask of are under the hood improvments along with many end user feature improvements on the desktop that you canot have on windows 7 nor will be released for windows 7 .

Oh and there is nothing wrong with the start screen as it does everything your old windows 7 down to windows 95 start menu did but only better. deal with it and run windows 8 if you want the speed

May as well state this now with the exception of windows XP SP2 Service packs do not provide new features or sub system improvements they provide bug fixes or security hole fixes

• Like 2

Do you think that Microsoft deliberately retarded (slowed down) Windows 7 just so they could flick some registry switches to make Windows 8 faster?

The speed improvements you are seeing in Windows 8 are a result of significant code and legacy support removal. You can't do that just by tweaking some registry settings.

Just need to turn Windows 7 up to 11..

Get a SSD? My Windows 7 install boots to the desktop in around 10 seconds, Photoshop CS5 starts in around 3 seconds.

Just need to turn Windows 7 up to 11..

Spinal Tap rocks. :punk:

Everyone is right. As much as I like Windows 8 because of the Metro "Modern" design, you won't be able to improve earlier operating systems to the level of Windows 8 just by tweaking a couple of settings.

EDIT: Discouraging? How? We might like to tweak the OS, but there are some things that you just can't do, such as making Windows 7 as fast as Windows 8.

Of course you can speed up Windows 7 like Windows 8, first, you do a fresh install of Windows 7, like everyone is with Windows 8

Then you disable all the shades, transparencies and make the theme only solid colours generally make Windows 7 look bland and plain, disable the sidebar, tada, now it's 1 second faster, just like Windows 8

woah neowin has turned strongly discouraging since i last visited the place. what happened here.?

Being realistic != discouraging.

Microsoft did optimise Windows 8 under the hood, yes. It is a bit faster than Windows 7, although in my opinion not _that_ much faster. That said, you can't just take system files out of Windows 8 and use them to speed up Windows 7.

Either get used to Windows 8 (perhaps aided with tweaks like Classic Shell) or stick to Windows 7 and live with it being slower. The speed difference isn't that big from my experience though.

Wait, you want to speed up Windows 7, by installing reg hacks and other tools?

Microsoft spent 3 years developing Windows 8 by making codebase changes, and removing a hefty amount of legacy junk that just didn't need to be there anymore. You can't do that to Windows 7. Sorry.

• Like 2

8 runs faster for me, but I can't fault 7 in the slightest for its speed, its just 8 is better which is to be expected. Alot of negative comments are about the visuals of the new OS but the under the hood stuff really has come on leaps and bounds.

• Like 2

woah neowin has turned strongly discouraging since i last visited the place. what happened here.?

People started asking stupid questions and not accepting the clearly logical answers given!

• Like 2

just to avoid the win8 metro ui tragedy. what are some of the major tweaks we can make to win7 to make it as snappy as win8? some reg hacks /settings etc?

Just use Windows 8 if you want the performance improvements. Once you get used to it, you will not want to go back to Windows 7. Give it a chance if you haven't. I don't think you can make 7 as fast as 8, unless you get new hardware like an SSD and things like that, and even then 8 will be faster.

Add an SSD to your Windows 7 system and it makes them feel the same on my system. Same boot up and shut down times. SSD's are just so fast that they make any optimizations Microsoft have done with Windows 8 so minuscule in effect that it becomes moot.

I've not noticed any difference between the two in performance on my system. You can't really improve on instant. (3930K, 6 Cores, 12 Threads @ 4.375GHz, 32GB 1866MHz RAM, SSD Boot Drive)

ah finally some intelligent person decides to post - thats what im used to expecting from a tech site not the uneducated gibberish strewn before this reply! you guys should really get off the tech site, you spoil the name of tech enthusiasts!

thanks mate!

The 'uneducated gibberish' comes from people who have learnt one lesson over the years: Tweaking tools for Windows are snake oil at best. At worst they can and will damage the system.

• Like 2

ah finally some intelligent person decides to post - thats what im used to expecting from a tech site not the uneducated gibberish strewn before this reply! you guys should really get off the tech site, you spoil the name of tech enthusiasts!

thanks mate!

You came onto a tech site asking stupid and thoroughly mundane questions, then choose to bitch out the people who give you the right answers.

Most serious Admins/IT techies will tell you tools like that are next to useless and generally do more harm than good.

If you are going to use retarded tools like that, at least go for a name brand retard tool as opposed to stuff like that :\

• Like 2

Do you think that Microsoft deliberately retarded (slowed down) Windows 7 just so they could flick some registry switches to make Windows 8 faster?

Hmmm.

They did with Wordpad to make Word look better. And they produced both products. Don't think that big companies are not above sneaky tricks for the sake of marketing advantages ...

Only the blind see no lies.

Regards