how to make win7 as fast as win8 ?

Not at all, but I do think Microsoft has no serious competitors in the word processing sector, where as Mac and Linux are actually competing with them in the operating system.

Not to mention that Microsoft were trying to make a point after Vista. I know, I was working for them at the time.

For every good reason there is to lie, there is a better reason to tell the truth. - Bo Bennett

ah finally some intelligent person decides to post - thats what im used to expecting from a tech site not the uneducated gibberish strewn before this reply! you guys should really get off the tech site, you spoil the name of tech enthusiasts!

Tech enthusiasts know what your asking is stupid, hell they even know you're stupid. So don't go running your mouth off like some big man just because you didn't get the answer you expected.

It's time you got off this site if you're mind is so closed to the truth.

Also as tech enthusiasts we know that video is a pile of crap enjoy your extra .5 of a second.

• Like 2

ah finally some intelligent person decides to post - thats what im used to expecting from a tech site not the uneducated gibberish strewn before this reply! you guys should really get off the tech site, you spoil the name of tech enthusiasts!

thanks mate!

LOL. Good luck with that, Mr. Intelligent Tech Enthusiast, Sorry if we spoiled the name and I promise you that if 'tech enthusiast' means someone like you, then no one would want to be one. The name is all yours.

• Like 2

Sorry, but any tech enthusiast knows one does not simply tweak Windows, and aside from startup programs, you never should be turning off services or playing around in the registry for performance boosts. That junk that was posted is nothing more than snake oil.

• Like 1

The problem is that people compare their current, bloated win7 installation with clean win8 installation. It is faster but not that much if you compare apples with apples. You can disable lots of unneeded features in win7 ... and yeah ssd helps :)

The problem is that people compare their current, bloated win7 installation with clean win8 installation. It is faster but not that much if you compare apples with apples. You can disable lots of unneeded features in win7 ... and yeah ssd helps :)

The problem is people that aren't aware of the many Windows 8 optimizations detailed on the official Windows blog and which says that Win 7 gets bloated other the time & that it's not faster than Win 8.

Hoooolllyyy.... , If I knew my post can start a forum war I never posted it!!!!!!!!!!!

Guys, I've used this tool on my system and I'm sure it's working great and it is nice to your system, but the choice is yours. Hope everybody's COOL, No harm :)

thanks mate!

You're welcome and please watch your words mate :)

There's nothing wrong with your post man.

If people want to use products like that, so be it. At least you didn't recommend him something with spyware.

The issue was the OP's attitude /shrug

The problem is people that aren't aware of the many Windows 8 optimizations detailed on the official Windows blog and which says that Win 7 gets bloated other the time & that it's not faster than Win 8.

Hilarious how misinformed people can be - the simply fact that MS needed this to work on low power processors with limited resources meant that 8 had a lot of work put into optimising it as much as possible. Hence it's faster. Shocking.

Hoooolllyyy.... , If I knew my post can start a forum war I never posted it!!!!!!!!!!!

Guys, I've used this tool on my system and I'm sure it's working great and it is nice to your system, but the choice is yours. Hope everybody's COOL, No harm :)

You're welcome and please watch your words mate :)

Long story short, it's never a good idea to install this junk. It just adds more grief and can honestly damage a system no matter how much some one says it's "safe". People say this and that, but in the end, it's all snake oil, and many of these "tools" can be shady as Hell.

Unless people are installing crap all the time, there is no reason for Win7 to differ performance wise from installation. I think my clean to afer-one-year performance of Windows 7 was same.

Sorry, but any tech enthusiast knows one does not simply tweak Windows, and aside from startup programs, you never should be turning off services or playing around in the registry for performance boosts. That junk that was posted is nothing more than snake oil.

tech enthusiast like to change things because they are never satisfied of what they got. You sound like an iDevice owner. iDevices look the same for years. If you are an iDevice owner then you are clearly not a tech enthusiast.

tech enthusiast like to change things because they are never satisfied of what they got. You sound like an iDevice owner. iDevices look the same for years. If you are an iDevice owner then you are clearly not a tech enthusiast.

what kind of sense does that make?!? 0_o that iDevice theory of yours is retarded

Huh? I said that because you are not going to get anything out of installing "junk.exe" (and I mean that in every sense of the word) to "speed up" Windows. The only place you should be going to control performance is the System Properties window via the Computer icon. There, in Performance, you can turn on and turn off system settings that'll give your system a boost if needed.

post-420821-0-78866700-1345669274.png

Also, you can switch off startup apps through either the sysconfig in Windows 7 or Task Manager in Windows 8. There is nothing else you should be touching or installing to "speed up" your PC.

post-420821-0-06735300-1345669605_thumb.

what kind of sense does that make?!? 0_o that iDevice theory of yours is retarded

Look, I'm not here to argue. Turning off "Startup" items only enhances Boot up speeds. It doesn't speed up anything else unless you have 4GB or less memory on a 64bit OS. I don't see any difference in speed in Windows 7 and in Windows 8 (Possibly because I don't use AV software). Windows 8 just seems more fluid like. Memory Management is noticeably better in Windows 8. I don't see a difference when starting apps between both systems, but I do see a difference when closing apps. Windows live messenger can take up to 5 seconds to completely close in Windows 7 whereas in Windows 8 is takes 1 second to close. Now there are tweaks to speed up your internet connection in both Win 7 and 8. But if you want to speed up the whole OS then get 12 gigs of RAM and turn off the pagefile. Also get a SSD. I also have to say everything is faster now that Microsoft embeds AV technology into the OS with Windows 8. AV software can make some systems sluggish when on Windows 7 or earlier. BTW, Windows 8 is terrible with DPC Latency.

Look, I'm not here to argue. Turning off "Startup" items only enhances Boot up speeds. It doesn't speed up anything else unless you have 4GB or less memory on a 64bit OS. I don't see any difference in speed in Windows 7 and in Windows 8 (Possibly because I don't use AV software). Windows 8 just seems more fluid like. Memory Management is noticeably better in Windows 8. I don't see a difference when starting apps between both systems, but I do see a difference when closing apps. Windows live messenger can take up to 5 seconds to completely close in Windows 7 whereas in Windows 8 is takes 1 second to close. Now there are tweaks to speed up your internet connection in both Win 7 and 8. But if you want to speed up the whole OS then get 12 gigs of RAM and turn off the pagefile. Also get a SSD. I also have to say everything is faster now that Microsoft embeds AV technology into the OS with Windows 8. AV software can make some systems sluggish when on Windows 7 or earlier. BTW, Windows 8 is terrible with DPC Latency.

Are you running that outdated test to check the DPC latency? If so the author has stated that there's a bug that causes it to not work correctly in Win8 and that DPC latency is as it should be.

They plan on issuing an update soon that will reflect this.

Read more here:

http://www.thesycon.de/eng/latency_check.shtml

Specifically the section that states:

Windows 8 Compatibility: The DPC latency utility runs on Windows 8 but does not show correct values. The output suggests that the Windows 8 kernel performs badly and introduces a constant latency of one millisecond which is not the case in practice. DPCs in the Windows 8 kernel behave identical to Windows 7. The utility produces incorrect results because the implementation of kernel timers has changed in Windows 8 which causes a side effect with the measuring algorithm used by the utility. Thesycon is working on a new version of the DPC latency utility and will make it available on this site as soon as it is finished.

Are you running that outdated test to check the DPC latency? If so the author has stated that there's a bug that causes it to not work correctly in Win8 and that DPC latency is as it should be.

They plan on issuing an update soon that will reflect this.

Read more here:

http://www.thesycon....ncy_check.shtml

Specifically the section that states:

Windows 8 Compatibility: The DPC latency utility runs on Windows 8 but does not show correct values. The output suggests that the Windows 8 kernel performs badly and introduces a constant latency of one millisecond which is not the case in practice. DPCs in the Windows 8 kernel behave identical to Windows 7. The utility produces incorrect results because the implementation of kernel timers has changed in Windows 8 which causes a side effect with the measuring algorithm used by the utility. Thesycon is working on a new version of the DPC latency utility and will make it available on this site as soon as it is finished.

I Stand corrected.... thanks for the info :)

woah neowin has turned strongly discouraging since i last visited the place. what happened here.?

You need a think skin to be on Neowin these days. Just let it go and pay attention to the ones who are actually answering your question and being mature about it.

With that said, Windows 7 is great on its own. What are the system specs you have Win7 installed on?

You can also disable all the transparency and extra UI eye candy and that will improve performance...believe someone else here mentioned it. Other than that, do not think there is a lot you can do. I am running Win7 on an old m1330 dell laptop and it runs great...and is fast.

To make your PC Windows 7 faster than Windows 8 you might have to follow some instructions. If your hard drive is full of files then truncate that. Check for the virus infection. If there is then remove them. Search on the Web and find some other solution of that.

Windows 7 is just as snappy as Windows 8 for me. Boot/Shutdown times excluded.

I'm the same. Maybe Windows 8 is faster because they've removed features that 'telemetry' told them people didn't use, like removing all ability to change the font type anywhere in the system. Don't like Segoe UI? Too bad, we've removed your choice of anything else. No thanks.

I'm the same. Maybe Windows 8 is faster because they've removed features that 'telemetry' told them people didn't use, like removing all ability to change the font type anywhere in the system. Don't like Segoe UI? Too bad, we've removed your choice of anything else. No thanks.

Honestly, I can't remember the last time I changed system fonts...

Honestly, I can't remember the last time I changed system fonts...

I'm sure many were like you, and frankly, finding how to do it since Vista took a sacred quest. But it just irks me that it's one more feature that was so buried everyone forgot about it, so Microsoft turns around and says, 'well, studies show that since Vista no one really changed their font, so we removed the ability to do so.' That's kind of what it feels like to me.

The start button was hardly buried. They removed things based on telemetry and some other internal metrics. It's pretty rare to change certain things...and there's actually a non-registry way to affect font sizes (note sizes, not the actual fonts) and such...but most people seem to not find it...