On this day 17 years ago ...

17 years ago today (August 24th), Windows 95, a revolutionary version, was released to the public.

I had just started my 6th grade year in August 1995.

Now we have another revolutionary release, Windows 8.

• Like 2

17 years ago today (August 24th), Windows 95, a revolutionary version, was released to the public.

I had just started my 6th grade year in August 1995.

Now we have another revolutionary release, Windows 8.

And Everyone asked back then:

Q: How will I find my programs if they are not on the desktop?

A: In the start menu of-course.

Today:

Q: How will I find my programs if they are not on the Start Menu?

A: Use the search or you will find it or on the desktop.

You see back then Windows 3.1 had all the icons on the desktop inside of Windows.... now it seems they are back on the desktop.

Don't get me wrong, Windows 8 is a change in what we are used to in ways like the new start screen.. However I would not call it revolutionary version.. Windows 95 did so much more from the older versions.. Like folder naming with spaces, better grouping of documents, better security and soooo much more

Most new versions of Windows are always talked about as been the most changed / revolutionary version yet, i remember it been said about Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7.

I think my dad bought Windows 95 on the day of release :) Ahhh fun times, I actually think the computer with w95 on it is in my parents roofspace *wants to boot it up and reminisce*

On this day 17 years ago...

I was 17 years younger.

I was 16, was fit, had a six pack (The stomach type, not the beer type) had real friends and actually went outside.... I didn't really care about Windows 95 back then, damn you MS and damn you age :p

lol i was 12 and pretty sure was using a 486dx 50 lol

My first upgrade after that was windows 98 :(

I was 3 at the time, I don't think I cared much :p

the first Windows PC that my family bought was Windows ME :/ (quickly upgraded to XP by my dad once that was released and cracked)

17yrs ago I was 5. A few months after 95's release we had gotten a brand new IBM machine that came with Windows 3.1 and OS/2 and also a card for a free (at least I think it was free) upgrade to Windows 95. That machine had 100MHz Pentium 1 and 8MB of RAM.

Man I miss OS/2 :p

People have nothing going on in their lives anymore. This is pretty much final proof.

Ok and what does commenting on people with no lives proof of??

As of Nov 1995, I was 13, lol.

I think my dad bought Windows 95 on the day of release :) Ahhh fun times, I actually think the computer with w95 on it is in my parents roofspace *wants to boot it up and reminisce*

I remember the day Win 95 was released...I walked into my job at the phone company (formerly US West, now Centurylink) smiling. My supervisor said, "What's got Bob in such a good mood?" I said, "I'm married to a wonderful woman, and Windows 95 has been released to the world--life is good."

Eight hours later, walked into my local software store, walked out several dollars poorer, but with Win 95. (Had a reservation.) :)

• Like 2

Had to put this into perspective for myself.

I turned 21 just under two weeks later and didn't even dare think about Windows 95. I lived in an old converted Train Depot turned into a house across the street from an industrial center and literally from train tracks with trains going by. And my main PC at the time was an Atari 800xl with a Blackbox for allowing an MFM Hard drive. My daughter was 10 months old and things were way different then for me.

I think I feel older thinking about how old I was then, and how old I am now. Thanks A Lot! :p

On this day 17 years ago, I got my first Windows 95 computer, and said good bye to my Macintosh.

I was playing with some old dos thing that I dont recall well because i was 7, however, very quickly we had an awsome IBM Aptive with popup cdrom drive and Windows 95!.