Microsoft Security Essentials Prerelease 4.1.509.0 | x86 x64 Connect

Hey guys, we got an invitation for you to the new Microsoft Security Essentials Prerelease Program on Connect. the new beta is available to download for windows 7, windows vista and windows xp, still no support for windows 8. microsoft did not say what's new in this beta (RC?) Build. but if you want to give it a chance go ahead and download it.

MicrosoftSecurityEssentials.jpg

if you have a previous Microsoft Security Essentials installed, you need to uninstall it fist before installing the beta!

Download: Microsoft Security Essentials Prerelease Build 4.1.509.0 Directly

Download: Microsoft Security Essentials Prerelease Build 4.1.509.0 From Connect (Sign up to the beta With Invitation)

Source: techit.co.il

btw, i sent it as a news tip to the neowin team, don't know if you see it. have fun to all of the beta lovers! ;)

There's probably no support for Windows 8 because Windows 8 is already running a version of this but using the Windows Defender name instead. That's my guess anyways.

i guess, but i like security essentials more then defender (remained me windows vista)

the only difference is the name, it looks 99.9% the same

i know, but as much as i remember (and correct me if i'm wrong) there is a more features in MSE then Defender.. and the ui is much better.

i know, but as much as i remember (and correct me if i'm wrong) there is a more features in MSE then Defender.. and the ui is much better.

The UI is exactly the same. Feature-wise the only differences I've noticed is MSE adds a "Scan with Microsoft Security Essentials..." item to the explorer context menu and has a "Scheduled Scan" (Windows Defender has a scheduled task to do this too, but it's not configurable in the Defender UI).

For all intents and purposes, MSE replaced Defender in Windows 8. It's the same UI and 99% of the features of MSE, but just called Defender. It's nothing like the old Windows Defender. The only thing it's missing is the Right Click -> Scan this File option.

For all intents and purposes, MSE replaced Defender in Windows 8. It's the same UI and 99% of the features of MSE, but just called Defender. It's nothing like the old Windows Defender. The only thing it's missing is the Right Click -> Scan this File option.

MSE has Network Inspection but Windows Defender in Windows 8 doesn't have it

The integrated MSE into Defender with Windows 8. They had to ditch one name in the process. Thats it. They just ditched the MSE name. As for NIS, Microsoft may include it in future versions or create their own that is comparable. MS has to be careful because the other security companies might have a cow if MS includes the NIS technology in Defender.

doesnt install orupdate in win8, as i upgraded from win7 the last preview got carried over now i cant uninstall it nor update it :/ also its on windows update anyways

doesnt install orupdate in win8, as i upgraded from win7 the last preview got carried over now i cant uninstall it nor update it :/ also its on windows update anyways

It won't, since 8 already has Windows Defender installed, which is basically MSE (minus a couple features & shell integration/systray icon) built-in. :)

It won't, since 8 already has Windows Defender installed, which is basically MSE (minus a couple features & shell integration/systray icon) built-in. :)

yeah no ****, but if u had the prerealse installed with windows 7 and upgraded to windows 8 it isnt uninstalled, which means now i cant remove it or update it

yeah no ****, but if u had the prerealse installed with windows 7 and upgraded to windows 8 it isnt uninstalled, which means now i cant remove it or update it

Navigate to the Microsoft Security Client folder (should be under Program Files).

Right click on setup.exe and select Properties.

Select the Compatibility tab & click the 'Change settings for all users' button.

Click 'Run this program in compatibility mode for' and select Windows 7.

Close out of the dialog boxes by hitting OK in both of them.

Try running the uninstaller again from the control panel.

You can also try at that point opening an Elevated Command Prompt and Navigating to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\ and then typing in setup.exe /x

That should (note should) remove it. No attitude was needed.

Navigate to the Microsoft Security Client folder (should be under Program Files).

Right click on setup.exe and select Properties.

Select the Compatibility tab & click the 'Change settings for all users' button.

Click 'Run this program in compatibility mode for' and select Windows 7.

Close out of the dialog boxes by hitting OK in both of them.

Try running the uninstaller again from the control panel.

You can also try at that point opening an Elevated Command Prompt and Navigating to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\ and then typing in setup.exe /x

That should (note should) remove it. No attitude was needed.

unfortuantly have allready tried it it still launches the installer and just continues to say that i dont need to install it as windows 8 has a higher versionblah blah

no attitude was intended

unfortuantly have allready tried it it still launches the installer and just continues to say that i dont need to install it as windows 8 has a higher versionblah blah

no attitude was intended

The only option then at that point that I'm aware is a refresh. That will keep your personal files and such intact, and just wipe the OS clean of programs and such. I still recommend backing your save games and such up before doing so...as unpredictable things can happen.

auto-updated on all of my machines, but thank you anyway for the heads up!

Here's Windows Defender in Windows 8. There is no UI difference between this and Security Essentials. Furthermore, Windows Defender is more powerful than security essentials because it scans for malware before Windows Boots.

Windows%20Defender.PNG

Here's Windows Defender in Windows 8. There is no UI difference between this and Security Essentials. Furthermore, Windows Defender is more powerful than security essentials because it scans for malware before Windows Boots.

There's a couple things it doesn't have still, like network inspection. So there are pluses & minuses.

There's a couple things it doesn't have still, like network inspection. So there are pluses & minuses.

True. Plus we've lost the ability to right-click a file or group of files and scan them. I despise the trend of dumbing everything down.

Meh

For some reason I have a very hard time getting excited about anying MSE related. I've just never really considered MSE a very good antivirus.

True. Plus we've lost the ability to right-click a file or group of files and scan them. I despise the trend of dumbing everything down.

I've actually brought up the context menu & network inspection stuff to the team that works on MSE/Defender. Hopefully it will have an impact. :)