Another day.. another problem. Backlit keyboard does not light up.

This is getting annoying. I fixed one thing another problem comes up. Now my backlit keyboard for my Macbook Pro retina does not light up. Help? I've tried the SMC reset (press left shift, control and option and power button at the same time. Then release at the same time, then turning the mac back on should reset it.) But it doesn't. Help?!

Have you pressed down on F6? That is the button that controls the backlit keyboard (turns it back up). F5 turns it down.

Yeah I have. The logo of back light going up and down shows on screen, but the keyboard light does not light up.

So anyone else? Or do I have to phone Applecare.. again. -.- This is lame.

Screw phoning them, I would go to the store (yes again, just saw your other post right now), explain what is going on with this issue and now the audio (again, just read that now, I have no doubt this issue is probably related to them fixing the audio), and have them replace the whole damn thing. I know you have school, so demand a loaner. You spent how much? Probably with student discount around $2000 right? So yeah, screw this.

And FTR, I am typing from a Macbook Pro Retina, which so far has given me zero issues and I love it. And I have owned Mac Laptops since the mid to late 90's, and only issues I have had hardware wise was 1) Dead harddrive on a little over 3 year old laptop (they replace it even out of Apple Care) 2) Keyboard lost a few keys from incredibly heavy use, they replaced it with a brand new keyboard 3) screwed up power port which was my friend dropping the laptop and that is still in my closet officially dead. That is since approximately 1995 and about 7-10 different laptops over the years (almost all work related luckily).

So yeah, hate to say this, I think you just got one of the rare duds. :/

Hey Larry, I think my audio pop came back. I just launched youtube.. and I hear a little static pop before the audio starts. OMG. Do you have any static pops when you start a video/youtube? Try it, make sure you are in a noise free environment. I'm not sure if it's supposed to be like this? Apparently this is coming back again. WTF. They said they even replaced the speakers. It's still happening.

So how would I demand a Loaner? They will freely replace the whole thing, but I need it for school. That's the problem. They most likely don't have it in stock. My model is just the base model.

Hey Larry, I think my audio pop came back. I just launched youtube.. and I hear a little static pop before the audio starts. OMG. Do you have any static pops when you start a video/youtube? Try it, make sure you are in a noise free environment. I'm not sure if it's supposed to be like this? Apparently this is coming back again. WTF. They said they even replaced the speakers. It's still happening.

So how would I demand a Loaner? They will freely replace the whole thing, but I need it for school. That's the problem. They most likely don't have it in stock. My model is just the base model.

I definitely do not hear audio pops before videos.

Is it just YouTube videos? Reason I ask is maybe Flash Player is acting up on you, if that is indeed how you are viewing YouTube videos, right click on and if you see info about Flash Player on the bottom, you are using Flash.

Also another thing to see is perhaps try a different browser to troubleshoot the YouTube videos, if it happens on one browser and not another, perhaps something got funky with the preferences.

But I would look towards Flash Player first. Just the other day at work a previous version of Flash Player was giving us major issues using Adobe Connect for a virtual classroom, it was freezing the whole damn browser when we tried to change the Audio and Video settings, so I have seen first hand Flash Player give issues related to Audio & Video.

If it is all videos across all software, I absolutely say that is hardware related, especially considering they had your MacBook open at one point.

And I have personally never demanded a loaner, but I would do just that, in a nice way insist on the fact you need something since you are in school. Typing that out, they may indeed not go for it, but hopefully it means they will expedite the shipment of your parts or new computer. You just not have to wait 5 days just for shipping.

If it is the base model, they should have it in stock, as that is literally what I am on right now, and we ordered it last week and it shipped right away.

Good Luck, but I would look at Flash Player first if it is only YouTube videos and/or another browser to rule out it being isolated to just one.

Well my Macbook wasn't opened before the audio popping started. It's not just the youtube videos. It also happens when I click on a folder under downloads. It only happens under the downloads folder for some reason. If I go to say the applications and click on any of them.. there's no static pop. The pop is kinda like the SSD is moving/sending information. I still can't figure out what it is. I'm really thinking I should demand a new machine because this is getting ridiculous.

You are sure Larry that you don't hear it right? Or am I just going crazy? This stupid Mac is giving me a headache. (Kind of weird that I went Off topic ... back to my old topic. ) Now 2 things are broken now.

Absolutely positive I hear no clicking sound or audio popping, etc. .

I am with you, I would also want a full replacement, as it is ridiculous. Good luck. (Y)

I dunno.. should I keep this mac till the replacement comes in? Because I'll need it for school.. and I can probably easily just time machine the replacement mbpr. I don't know if they will allow me to this though.

My friend returned his Macbook Retina, after the right side of his trackpad stopped working, 2 weeks after getting his Macbook back, the audio began popping and hissing the first time he booted it. So you are not alone on that issue, Ive heard it before.

I dunno.. should I keep this mac till the replacement comes in? Because I'll need it for school.. and I can probably easily just time machine the replacement mbpr. I don't know if they will allow me to this though.

Yeah actually, I would do this. I really think they will let you keep it until the replacement comes in considering the situation that it is needed for school.

Well I have an appointment with the Genuis bar tomorrow. I really wish I can just get one that has absolutely no problems :\.

So I just got back from the Apple Store. They told me they didn't replace the speakers the first time (wtf?) because the tech guy found a random piece of metal floating around that was supposedly causing all the static audio pops. /facepalm. Anyway they now told me they are going to replace the front panel of the keyboard because the lighting doesn't work. Hopefully this will be the last time.. because after this, I won't have time to go to the Apple store to fix it.

Just like a car, this proves a big point ... don't buy a first year product, no matter who makes it. :s

On another note, glad to see they are fixing it for you. :D

Just like a car, this proves a big point ... don't buy a first year product, no matter who makes it. :s

On another note, glad to see they are fixing it for you. :D

well they should be fixing it. lol.

I hate to say it... But I told you so man... Hope all works out for you though.

So it's been 5 days. I called my local Apple Store up and asked them to follow up on my repair. Now they tell me the logic board failed on it, and they are still waiting on parts. They don't have any loaners to give me because they don't have any MPBRs in stock. Just my luck. They told me to phone back today at 3pm to see if the logic board has come in through fedex. or stock on the MBPRs. Looks like I'm in a hole now. I'm moving to my residence tomorrow. Great start to my year of Digital Video Production. ugh. -.-.

So I got another call from the Apple store, they are going to go ahead and just replace the whole computer for me, but it's gonna be a few weeks. They are going to just put back together my old one and let me use it till the new one comes in. They also told me that it is going to be a while for the logic board to come in. That's why they ordered the new comp. I really hope the new computer will be problem free -.-.

So I just got back from the Apple store, even they put in new speakers, the problem(audio popping before a video starts) is still there. The backlighting works now though. I think I'm still gonna go with the replacement.. what do you guys think?

So I just got back from the Apple store, even they put in new speakers, the problem(audio popping before a video starts) is still there. The backlighting works now though. I think I'm still gonna go with the replacement.. what do you guys think?

I think you got a lemon.

Just get the new one. If Apple support is fumbling between taking out pieces of metal floating around, replacing speakers and the mother/logic board, chances are you might run into more issues with that machine down the road. Apple markets their products as a premium problem free product and it should hold up to this right out of the factory.