Windows XP-like Windows Embedded POS 2009 Supported Until 2019

Repeat after me: 2012 minus 2001 is 11. See? It's really not that hard.

11 years, oh wow. This software is half the age of me, and people still swear by using it for day to day even though its been provent time and time again that it is just simply not up for the task anymore.

Dont be so f***en naive

The NT Kernel has been seen to run on everything from phones to tvs, just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it isn't out there.

I have even seen a fully fledged XP running on a HTC HD2

Dude that's impossible. Full windows didn't make the jump to ARM till Windows 8. So what you saw was either really good theming or an RDP app, but I can assure it wasn't Windows XP.

• Like 1

Dude that's impossible. Full windows didn't make the jump to ARM till Windows 8. So what you saw was either really good theming or an RDP app, but I can assure it wasn't Windows XP.

Correct, I looked up my sources and it wasn't XP, it was Windows 7, I stand corrected, but it was still the NT Kernel :D

Correct, I looked up my sources and it wasn't XP, it was Windows 7, I stand corrected, but it was still the NT Kernel :D

Still impossible. Windows 7 doesn't have an ARM compatible kernel...

Then I guess it was a scam or some serious emulation

Emulation on an ARM CPU? Nope. It was probably a theme. They were probably running WinMo with a skin on it using Wisbar Adanced. I used to have those themes up and running alot. Did it look something like this?

Mobile-Vista-Revisted-QVGA-Theme-for-WisBar-Advance-Desktop_1_27241.png

Emulation on an ARM CPU? Nope. It was probably a theme. They were probably running WinMo with a skin on it using Wisbar Adanced. I used to have those themes up and running alot. Did it look something like this?

Mobile-Vista-Revisted-QVGA-Theme-for-WisBar-Advance-Desktop_1_27241.png

LOL nice (ugly but nice) I guess the people at xda get up to all sorts, emulation was possible on that processor, I had many a gameboy rom on my HD2.

LOL nice (ugly but nice) I guess the people at xda get up to all sorts, emulation was possible on that processor, I had many a gameboy rom on my HD2.

A gameboy emulator is one thing. Emulating a full on x86 CPU instruction set, hardware stack, and the ability to process all calls for API's and such? Nope...well it can happen, but I've never seen it done, and it would be slow enough as to be unusable.

This is getting really off-topic at this point though.

LOLLL, you do know that is impossible?

Well no it's not impossible. QEMU, OK so it'll run like death, but it WILL just about run (if you've a spare week to install it)

Ahh right - I thought POS stood for Piece Of....yeah, well you get the idea ;)

It does and it is!

Yeah what lcg said, running it cracked or not on a POS for longer than 120 days is against the TOS, plus the updates are only given to those that have authourised accounts, they're not GA.

Plus the updates will be to the POS System not for main OS security features, these devices are connected to LANs in supermarkets and NOT THE INTERNET.

well, I mean. even if the device is intented for a LAN, there's always a point of entry from the internet, so you will still want to protect them. unless they run in super isolated LANs or something...

AS much as I liked XP, probably best to install at least Win 7 before the year is out - it may not be to your liking but at least you can look for something else whilst knowing your pretty up to date.

it's installed on my E: drive but I never boot into it. Can't stand it.

969638-cool_story__bro_super.jpg

What's the point of having an OS that can't run the latest programs?

Who told you it's indispensable to always run the latest programs?

....wow............

you wont recieve ANY updates. extended support just means MS will try to help you if you have a issue. they wont release any more updates, xp or/and embedded once support ends.

stop acting silling please.

You might be thinking of this: http://www.mobiletec...-windows-phone/

The Asus Galaxy was shown running a very early build of the ARM version of Windows 8, which actually says Windows 7 in the version / build number.

15fkqs1.jpg

I don't know why you would want to continue running XP. It's very old software.

Don't get me wrong. It's a solid piece of software, and deserves it's place in IT history. I loved it. But Windows 7 truly is the best operating system available. It's an absolute delight to use. I do hope you give it a month or so to realise just how good this OS is.

You might be thinking of this: http://www.mobiletec...-windows-phone/

The Asus Galaxy was shown running a very early build of the ARM version of Windows 8, which actually says Windows 7 in the version / build number.

15fkqs1.jpg

Internally MS has the NT kernel running on virtually every arch available. They started doing this when they ported NT to the alpha chip. Since then the NT kernel has been on Alpha, x86, x64, PPC, ARM / XScale, IA-64, and SPARC... ARM isn't something new that started just with windows 8, its been ported for a few version now as a test kernel

NT up to version 4.0 was designed and sold as a multi-architecture OS. The Windows NT 4.0 CD contains binaries for x86, Alpha, MIPS and PowerPC machines. They only stopped building NT for other architectures because back then there was no market outside of x86.

NT up to version 4.0 was designed and sold as a multi-architecture OS. The Windows NT 4.0 CD contains binaries for x86, Alpha, MIPS and PowerPC machines. They only stopped building NT for other architectures because back then there was no market outside of x86.

they still have PPC arch, MIPS, ARM and x86-64 kept up to date ;)