Windows XP-like Windows Embedded POS 2009 Supported Until 2019

they still have PPC arch, MIPS, ARM and x86-64 kept up to date ;)

No doubt they had Windows 2000 and newer running on other architectures. Add IA-64 to the list. However the market for the non-mainstream archs is miniscule, which is why you weren't able to buy Windows XP for PPC.

No doubt they had Windows 2000 and newer running on other architectures. Add IA-64 to the list. However the market for the non-mainstream archs is miniscule, which is why you weren't able to buy Windows XP for PPC.

Whole OS sales != Kernel, they still keep the backend up to date, but there is no real reason to keep the front end due to the reason you stated, but this was part of the reason they where able to port to ARM so fast, the large work was done, they just needed to port the other apps and shell and test

I support a few tills at work, but thats running XP Embedded.

I won't pass the message around, XP must die!

XP is like someone who tags around with you, and you wish they would just go away but you don't have the heart to say so.

• 1 year later...

They won't need to be reverse engineered. It's the same updates, KB numbers, etc. See my screenshot earlier in the thread.

This is an interesting discussion, and I'm totally with you, xdot.tk.  I'm currently running POSReady 2009 on a testbed (soon to have setup a properly-licensed copy so I can run it long-term), and it is interesting because it is getting the same updates as any other copy of XP.  They may put in place some mechanism to try to block use of these updates on other systems, but there should be a way around it.  If it is technically possible, I'm considering setting up an online service online to help support PCs that still run XP, which aren't going to just go away after next April (as some people seem to imagine).  Definitely some exciting possibilities...