New study suggests marijuana use before age 18 decreases IQ

but you did no research back then? no even internet access to tell you all the lies and over rated bull crap about it.

if it was morphine in the "Joint" you would of smoked it right? ;)

I honestly don't understand where you are getting all these assumptions about me. Do you know me, and how I do things? I used the internet, I researched in libraries, I observed friends before I even took my first toke. All the evidence I found pointed towards the fact that it was quite safe to partake in, and so I thought, "why not try it?"

And if there was morphine in the joint and I knew about it, I wouldn't take it. I understand the risks of morphine, and I would be careful about being given it in a hospital, I certainly wouldn't try it from the street.

I'm curious as to how many years you've been smoking it regularly, and how often, if you don't mind sharing that information? :) The reason I ask is because I always suspected smoking weed regularly, no matter the age, would permanently lower one's intelligence and ability to think, and I would have thought it would affect one's performance at work (granted, I hadn't yet looked into it, so I didn't assume that would be the case; I just thought it would likely be the case). But the news of this study seems to confirm to me that my suspicions were wrong, and it would be comforting to hear someone state with confidence that they've smoked it regularly for many years and they haven't noticed a negative affect on their IQ, thinking, or work performance.

Not at all, mate, happy to share.

I think the first time I smoked a joint I was around 16. As I mentioned earlier, this was back in the day where I would only partake once every so often, and it would only be on a weekend when I didn't have something important to do. These days I probably have 1 a day (weekends not included), maybe every other day, but it's only at the end of the day when I get back from work and want to unwind. Not unlike drinking a beer, I guess you could say. Although I do drink alcohol as well.

I'll make a full admission here, even though I may regret it at some point.

I smoke weed. I do so mostly for the purpose of alleviating pain in my neck & back due to a degenerative disorder. I will admit the side benefits of laughing harder at Family Guy episodes is also a bonus. It also helps a bit with my bi-polar, and helps me to slow down and look at things more carefully as opposed to just flying off the handle.

I only started about a year ago at the ripe old age of 30. I notice that I'm a calmer, more thoughtful person who actually can function better due to the pain relieving effects, and ability to relax properly. For years it's been hard to relax due to the pain, and a lot of personal stress due to my bi-polar. I was on meds for years that had a lot of detrimental effects. This has had 0 detrimental effects and I'm a much happier person these days.

I'll also note that I only partake in the evenings, weekends and time off. I will never show up to work with any of the effects present because I respect the companies I work for.

• Like 3

You don't need a study to know this. Just from my school experience I can tell you this. The people that failed their exams horribly were pretty much all potheads.

• Like 2

^ That explains your posts. :woot: :)

It shouldn't. I haven't been able to partake in quite some time due to being on hiatus...and my back is killing me. :p

Then again...maybe it does since I'm hurting a lot more often this last month. :p

^ That explains your posts. :woot: :)

not for everyone.

A person with bipolar on Marijuana could end in SERVE results such as a gun sh.otings, running around with a knife in new york,etc (remember the guy on Marijuana in new york running around with the knife, what happened to him? he got shot and was killed.

Marijuana is no kiddie matter, it is toxic and can have serious rebound effects.

As he said mate everyone reacts different and treating someone with Marijuana for serious illness could have serve rebound effects.

what I am saying is in my own opinion from reading books and watching fools on Marijuana.

not for everyone.

A person with bipolar on Marijuana could end in SERVE results such as a gun sh.otings, running around with a knife in new york,etc (remember the guy on Marijuana in new york running around with the knife, what happened to him? he got shot and was killed.

Marijuana is no kiddie matter, it is toxic and can have serious rebound effects.

As he said mate everyone reacts different and treating someone with Marijuana for serious illness could have serve rebound effects.

what I am saying is in my own opinion from reading books and watching fools on Marijuana.

I question that statement. I know several people with Bi-Polar disorder that were on medication for years that switched to being medical marijuana users who now live much happier lives.

I've never heard of it making someone go berserk like that guy in NY unless it was tainted or laced with something else. I'd love to see that guys toxicology report.

• Like 1

I question that statement. I know several people with Bi-Polar disorder that were on medication for years that switched to being medical marijuana users who now live much happier lives.

I've never heard of it making someone go berserk like that guy in NY unless it was tainted or laced with something else. I'd love to see that guys toxicology report.

Hello mate,

Can I just say that, medical marijuana is a drug.

medical marijuana is the same as "zoloft". <- don't take that in a way but,

its still the same base line if you get me, they are both drugs and both dangerous.

taking zoloft by your doctor is much safer than smoking weed or even taking pain relieve you get in a shop.

you know what your taking in a pill. its safe once taken correctly.

etc.

marijuana is a drug.

not for everyone.

he probably smoked too much of it at once or had some bad stuff. how is this any different than someone (bipolar or otherwise) getting really drunk and doing something stupid like that?

as has been said many times, moderation is key, and if the weed is spiked with something that's a different story entirely and completely not the marijuana's fault

Hello mate,

its still the same base line if you get me, they are both drugs and both dangerous.

taking zoloft by your doctor is much safer than smoking weed or even taking pain relieve you get in a shop.

etc.

marijuana is a drug.

You think a massive amount of chemicals is safer than a plant that grows in the ground and is used in its pure form, just dried out?

What pharmaceutical company do you work for that tells you that? :p

• Like 2

not for everyone.

I was joking did you not see the smileys. As a former Police Officer I have seen what drugs do.

I'm curious as to how many years you've been smoking it regularly, and how often, if you don't mind sharing that information? :) The reason I ask is because I always suspected smoking weed regularly, no matter the age, would permanently lower one's intelligence and ability to think, and I would have thought it would affect one's performance at work (granted, I hadn't yet looked into it, so I didn't assume that would be the case; I just thought it would likely be the case). But the news of this study seems to confirm to me that my suspicions were wrong, and it would be comforting to hear someone state with confidence that they've smoked it regularly for many years and they haven't noticed a negative affect on their IQ, thinking, or work performance.

Iv been a smoker for 20 yrs, I take time off now and then from anywhere to a month to 6 months, never longer then that. Other then that I smoke daily. Though after 20 yrs I don't need a lot to get to the levels I like to be at. I can make a QP last over a year and that's still smoking everyday. Iv known a lot of smokers over the years, many of which you would never guess they smoked given who they are or the types of jobs they have. Many of which are multi millionaires. It's more of a myth that pot is only for looser kids with no life or job.

I'd be prepared believe this, since most of the people I know who seem like the stereotypical spaced-out dumb "pothead" type started when they were young, rather than the folks who started in university for example who don't seem as affected by it. And a developing mind probably is particularly susceptible... I do wonder, though, is it the time period when they started, or simply the fact that they've been doing it longer?

Yeah, I can see this too.

Hello mate,

etc.

marijuana is a drug.

Just curious what your medical background is to make this claim? I don't disagree that pot is a drug and yes it has the potential of being dangerous but the notion of taking a pill is somehow safer is baseless.

I hate to say this... but NO ****! ... Just try holding a conversation with someone who is a pot-head and a teenager, it's like talking to a flaming idiot barely capable of cognitive thought.

FTFY :rofl:

I'm entirely with mudslag here...I'd say the teenager portion is more of it...but scrambling their noodles before they're fully baked (see what I did there? :shifty: ) makes it worse.

Just curious what your medical background is to make this claim? I don't disagree that pot is a drug and yes it has the potential of being dangerous but the notion of taking a pill is somehow safer is baseless.

plants came after chemicals just to let you know.

you can get all medical marijuana drugs now. they are in pills,in drinks,etc.

makes it no different than other drugs.

its all the same with a different effect.

once you take whatever correctly and in moderation then its all fine.

I hate to say this... but NO ****! ... Just try holding a conversation with someone who is a pot-head and a teenager, it's like talking to a flaming idiot barely capable of cognitive thought.

go back to school?

you can get all medical marijuana drugs now. they are in pills,in drinks,etc.

makes it no different than other drugs.

its all the same with a different effect.

once you take whatever correctly and in moderation then its all fine.

Um what? When did chemicals come first and what is that even supposed to mean? And your post doesn't address my question to you nor does it refute the notion that pills are safer just because they are pills.

Potential Zoloft side effects

http://www.webmd.com...al&pagenumber=6

Inability to have an Erection Severe

Sexual Problems Severe

Altered Interest in Having Sexual Intercourse Severe

Dry Mouth Less Severe

Drowsiness Less Severe

Dizzy Less Severe

Chronic Trouble Sleeping Less Severe

Low Energy Less Severe

Excessive Sweating Less Severe

Involuntary Quivering Less Severe

Loss of Appetite Less Severe

Weight Loss Less Severe

Head Pain Less Severe

Feel Like Throwing Up Less Severe

Gas Less Severe

Diarrhea Less Severe

Stomach Cramps Less Severe

Feeling Weak Less Severe

Infrequent side effects of Zoloft Oral:

Feeling Restless Less Severe

Blurred Vision Less Severe

Problems with Eyesight Less Severe

Incomplete or Infrequent Bowel Movements Less Severe

Temporary Redness of Face and Neck Less Severe

Increased Hunger Less Severe

Yawning Less Severe

Throwing Up Less Severe

Nervous Less Severe

Anxious Less Severe

Rare side effects of Zoloft Oral:

Extrapyramidal Reaction Severe

Neuroleptic Malignant Syndrome Severe

Serotonin Syndrome - Adverse Drug Interaction Severe

Hemorrhage Severe

Hepatitis caused by Drugs Severe

Bleeding of the Stomach or Intestines Severe

Discharge of Milk in Men or Women when Not Breastfeeding Severe

Breast Tenderness Severe

Inflammation of Skin caused by an Allergy Severe Itching

Severe Hives Severe

Fever Severe

A Feeling of Restlessness with Inability to Sit Still Severe

Rash Severe

Nosebleed Severe

Heart Throbbing or Pounding Severe

Abnormal Liver Function Tests Severe

Reaction due to an Allergy Severe

Low Amount of Sodium in the Blood Severe

Behaving with Excessive Cheerfulness and Activity Severe

Mild Degree of Mania Severe

Having Thoughts of Suicide Severe

Hemorrhage of Blood Under the Skin Less Severe

Ok, now I know you have to be joking. You honestly think man-made chemical concoctions came before plants were on this Earth?

Please tell me you're joking...

• Like 2

Ok, now I know you have to be joking. You honestly think man-made chemical concoctions came before plants were on this Earth?

Please tell me you're joking...

Yeah that comment made no sense.

What about tobacco, alcohol, ecstasy, amphetamines, cocaine, etc? I'm sure all those have detrimental effects on a developing brain, yet there's no study for them. I wonder why...

Oh wait:

It was funded with governmental grants from the U.S. and Britain

The same countries that have conducted a publicity war on cannabis to keep it from being legalised are the same ones funding this. Why am I not surprised.

What about tobacco, alcohol, ecstasy, amphetamines, cocaine, etc? I'm sure all those have detrimental effects on a developing brain, yet there's no study for them. I wonder why...

Oh wait:

The same countries that have conducted a publicity war on cannabis to keep it from being legalised are the same ones funding this. Why am I not surprised.

Actually there has been studies performed on all of those, and they find that all of those have bad effects on developing minds. Heck some of them even have pretty horrible effects on developed minds. Cocaine, meth, & ecstasy in particular.