New study suggests marijuana use before age 18 decreases IQ

What about tobacco, alcohol, ecstasy, amphetamines, cocaine, etc? I'm sure all those have detrimental effects on a developing brain, yet there's no study for them. I wonder why...

There are a ton of studies on alcohol and other drugs on a developing brain!!! You obviously haven't done any research! It's known that a lot of alcohol at young ages affects mental development.

Anyways, EdenHerman: You are incredibly biased and only want to see what you want to see. I hate weed and think it's one of the dumbest things people could ever do, but the fact is that it's not really any worse than alcohol.

You think weed can be habit forming? News flash, so can alcohol. You think weed can hinder your mental state? So does alcohol. You think weed makes people feel bad afterwords? Well 1) that's not true for everyone, and 2) happens with alcohol to some people too.

As much as I hate weed and would love to see it stay illegal, it's honestly no different than alcohol. I personally think alcohol should be illegal too, but that ain't ever going to happen. Anyways, open your mind up and stop being blind to facts. You simply think weed is bad because people have told you "it's illegal" and "it's bad". If alcohol was illegal ever since you were born, I bet you that you would think alcohol is the devil just like you think weed is!

Article has no purpose - recreational Marijuna will not be legalized for underage use regardless.

Article has no purpose - recreational Marijuna will not be legalized for underage use regardless.

There's a purpose, it's to help prevent kids from using marijuana when they're younger. Right now they think it has no negative effect.

However, the kids that start using weed are already typically not intelligent to start with (based on what I saw at my school), and telling them that it will hurt their mental development won't change their minds.

Indeed. To quote Ron White, "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever."

However, the kids that start using weed are already typically not intelligent to start with (based on what I saw at my school), and telling them that it will hurt their mental development won't change their minds.

Indeed, it's an interesting juxtaposition. Some of the least intelligent people I know smoked weed when they were younger, and some of the most intelligent people I know started smoking it as adults.

i'm sorry.

yeah but like, you don't have to hide up that you don't get a bad feeling shortly after smoking it.

Yeah I know, and it seems to depend on the type of weed and what you are doing and what not.

I remember the first time I smoked, for the first 5 minutes I was like HI ALL, wow amazing, fun hey all your all great. very happy, love you all so much. (first time in teen years I fealt like I was really enjoying social)

then after 8 minutes I felt like crap, total total crap. that feeling lasted for the rest of the day pretty much (mainly when I went back into class I just felt soooooooo bad, it was just awful. sad/crap and just had it.oh god it was awful.

then the next time I smoked I did not feel crap or happy, I kinda fealt my head was heavyish and was KINDA lifted up a bit or something. but not that great.

overall it was a waste of time and caused you to stop caring.

You can't equate your own experiences to anyone else.

but you did no research back then? no even internet access to tell you all the lies and over rated bull crap about it.

if it was morphine in the "Joint" you would of smoked it right? ;)

Marijuana and Opiates effects are nothing alike effect wise. Pot is not morphine, trying to compare them is just ignorant.

not for everyone.

A person with bipolar on Marijuana could end in SERVE results such as a gun sh.otings, running around with a knife in new york,etc (remember the guy on Marijuana in new york running around with the knife, what happened to him? he got shot and was killed.

Marijuana is no kiddie matter, it is toxic and can have serious rebound effects.

As he said mate everyone reacts different and treating someone with Marijuana for serious illness could have serve rebound effects.

what I am saying is in my own opinion from reading books and watching fools on Marijuana.

And yet you never hear about pot related attacks. Your argument is like trying to say someone might on a shooting spree because they have to many Starbucks cappuccinos, it's a retarded argument. Yes it is a drug but in terms of drugs it is by far the safest recreational drug around. Your personal observations are limited to just you.

• Like 2

medical marijuana:

given to people that have sour "back pain" and what not.

some given in legitable porupes but yeah.

morphine:

given to people with serve pain(real pain), in a bed dying, etc.

It is also PROVEN to help in many ways and then helps a lot to stop the pain.

The government are making it like this:

marijuana is not the same as all other drugs, it is 100% safe is every way, etc.

prescription drugs are TOXIC,SERVE DANGEROUS AND ULTIMATELY TOXIC AND SCARY AND EVERYTHING ELSE.

- marijuana is a prescription drug.

- marijuana can just be fatal as "pills" BUT marijuana now comes in pills,cookies,drink,etc.

people are saying:

make all prescription drugs illegal/outlawed and make marijuana legal.

but wait a second here,

its the same thing really, its about choosing "what should be legal and what should not legal", that's getting the people to stop arguing over rioting/etc over drugs and what not.

marijuana makes billions of USD in the united states from the tax and what not (medical marijuana).

the government are winning with everything but some peoples views are "zoloft,etc" are completely different than the medical marijuana pill you get in medical marijuana stores in the USA.

and hey, the government are "great" in a way, we need the law pretty much (but not the law like the law in iraq and what not).

what I said there may have not been point on but its along those lines...

I am not arguing with anyone, I hope you have a nice day and enjoy whatever you do or not do or think or blah blah.

1. I suffer from severe neck & back pain. There are days I can barely move without wanting to scream.

2. Actually the government here in the US is generally against weed. They have been for about a century now...so you're obviously misinformed there...like on many other aspects of your posts. Do some research here...you'll find out why.

3. Where do you get the weed can be fatal? No one has ever died from an 'overdose' of weed. No one. Now if someone somewhere happened to be allergic that's another thing. However the same could be said of peanut butter. People have died from eating that & yet we're not pulling it off shelves.

4. Actually it doesn't make them billions of dollars in taxes.../facepalm

I mean seriously did you just decide to wake up today and just randomly make things up? I don't think anyone can have a debate with you if you randomly come up with stuff out of nowhere.

I mean I might as well debate that Cheerios cereal is awesome because it's made from unicorn dust and the government uses it to breed champion athletes for the Olympics. That's the level of sense you're making in this thread.

1. I suffer from severe neck & back pain. There are days I can barely move without wanting to scream.

2. Actually the government here in the US is generally against weed. They have been for about a century now...so you're obviously misinformed there...like on many other aspects of your posts.

3. Where do you get the weed can be fatal? No one has ever died from an 'overdose' of weed. No one.

4. Actually it doesn't make them billions of dollars in taxes.../facepalm

I mean seriously did you just decide to wake up today and just randomly make things up? I don't think anyone can have a debate with you if you randomly come up with stuff out of nowhere.

I mean I might as well debate that Cheerios cereal is awesome because it's made from unicorn dust and the government uses it to breed champion athletes for the Olympics. That's the level of sense you're making in this thread.

2. Actually the government here in the US is generally against weed. They have been for about a century now...so you're obviously misinformed there...like on many other aspects of your posts.

Ok man, they are :)

Ok man, they are :)

Seriously do the reading. It's still illegal according to the federal government. Some states have come up with their own laws regarding de-criminalization (which is not the same as legalization), but the federal government still screws with it sometimes.

There are shops that are in compliance with the laws & regulations of their state and the federal government goes in and shuts them down and takes ALL of their money. It's documented.

I know that comes off like some sort of weird sounding conspiracy theory, but it's a fact.

Seriously do the reading. It's still illegal according to the federal government. Some states have come up with their own laws regarding de-criminalization (which is not the same as legalization), but the federal government still screws with it sometimes.

There are shops that are in compliance with the laws & regulations of their state and the federal government goes in and shuts them down and takes ALL of their money. It's documented.

I know that comes off like some sort of weird sounding conspiracy theory, but it's a fact.

So if marijuana is safe then why is it illegal?.

Why don't the government "like" it then?

hehe, caught ya there mate.

No, no you didn't. This is why I told you to do some reading. Do you have the ability to do your own research? It seems like you don't and just ask questions hoping everyone will provide you with answers.

I'll answer this one for you though, with a quote from Family Guy...yes even Family Guy the funny cartoon has the real answer for this.

"Pot is illegal because William Randolph Hearst ran a smear campaign against marijuana in the 1930s to protect his interests in the timber industry, because hemp was poised to replace wood as an inexpensive raw material for the manufacture of paper."

It was an example of an industry being able to lobby the government in order to make something illegal.

I mean seriously are you honestly not capable of reading into the history of things and require that your information be spoon-fed to you?

Fun fact? The Declaration of Independence was written on paper made from hemp...

medical marijuana:

given to people that have sour "back pain" and what not.

some given in legitable porupes but yeah.

morphine:

given to people with serve pain(real pain), in a bed dying, etc.

It is also PROVEN to help in many ways and then helps a lot to stop the pain.

The government are making it like this:

marijuana is not the same as all other drugs, it is 100% safe is every way, etc.

prescription drugs are TOXIC,SERVE DANGEROUS AND ULTIMATELY TOXIC AND SCARY AND EVERYTHING ELSE.

- marijuana is a prescription drug.

- marijuana can just be fatal as "pills" BUT marijuana now comes in pills,cookies,drink,etc.

people are saying:

make all prescription drugs illegal/outlawed and make marijuana legal.

but wait a second here,

its the same thing really, its about choosing "what should be legal and what should not legal", that's getting the people to stop arguing over rioting/etc over drugs and what not.

marijuana makes billions of USD in the united states from the tax and what not (medical marijuana).

the government are winning with everything but some peoples views are "zoloft,etc" are completely different than the medical marijuana pill you get in medical marijuana stores in the USA.

and hey, the government are "great" in a way, we need the law pretty much (but not the law like the law in iraq and what not).

what I said there may have not been point on but its along those lines...

I am not arguing with anyone, I hope you have a nice day and enjoy whatever you do or not do or think or blah blah.

Morphine (Opiates) are HIGHLY addictive, way more the marijuana. Opiates effect the body differently then pot, though yes you can find some similarities to the high but again opiates are still vastly different then cannabinoids.

No one is saying make prescription drugs illegal, people might say they have an illegal use and it's already illegal to sell them without medical license and such.

If it needs to be explained the difference between opiates and marijuana, then clearly you havent done a lot of research on the matter.

No you didn't catch anyone, you have to look at the history of why it became illegal in the first place. There is a rich long history as to why it was outlawed starting around the 1920s. Read up on the history before you start making ignorant based comments.

Anyone who wants a real education on the matter (I can see one person in here who needs one :p) then read this:

http://www.druglibra.../vlr/vlrtoc.htm

Beyond the WHR statement it gives a very detailed history of what has happened over the years.

I get the feeling he is very young and has never really researched anything he is talking about.

I would just like to put a pin in at my end,

I frankly really don't care and sorry if I upset some people by trying to say "marijuana" can be dangerous.

I know (from my opinion, im no doctor or anything) but I know its pretty safe but don't see what's the big deal about it.

I also said I don't support pot because of all the people that are so anti-medication (yet medication is helping millions and millions of people).

when there's people that don't like someone for taking medication (it makes you a druggie,filth,etc) its quite sad in my opinion.

sorry again, I'm not anti-marijuana but also don't see why these "studies" need to be done in the first place (same with medication and how toxic they are)

oh dear...

You said you don't understand why studies need to be done. Shouldn't we be doing testing to see how things interact, or just guess and hope for the best? ;)

You didn't catch anyone out. You've just shown that you don't know about the history of marijuana. I'm not saying it's a bad thing if you don't want to know about it, but at least refrain from thinking that you have the answers when you haven't checked out the history and evidence.

So you don't see why man should expand its knowledge and improve its understanding of our own bodies and how the things we do interact with it?
oh dear...

Not quite sure why your response is "oh dear..." considering it's a valid question. Take as an example the testing of prescription drugs. We do it to make sure that our understanding is correct and that the drugs that are sold will not kill you. Given the number of people who would willingly step forward and say, "I smoke marijuana" there is a sizeable number of people who would like these studies to be conducted so that the myths about weed can be removed (or proven, of course). From there we can hopefully moved forward and eventually get to a point where someone saying they enjoy smoking weed is as natural as someone saying that they enjoy having a beer, or someone saying that they enjoy chocolate.

You said you don't understand why studies need to be done. Shouldn't we be doing testing to see how things interact, or just guess and hope for the best? ;)

Either he is completely clueless or he is trolling.