New study suggests marijuana use before age 18 decreases IQ

Im on the clock right now. Maybe I was wrong, maybe you are a bit of both.

Hello Sir,

My medication just started to kick in.

I am so sorry for what I said. From reading over all your posts you seem to be very smart with the IQ of 130, A great job that pays $400,00 each year and its a job you enjoy. You have a great family too.

You are in A++ and loving life like me. Everything is good and smooth.

Thank You so much mate.

Thank You, Sorry.

Thank You.

Have an amazing perfect day.

Thanks again so much emotion_happy.png

It's almost a shame to realise that EdenHerman is mocking us, as I find the subject interesting and am more than happy to pass on the information that I have found to those that genuinely want to learn, which in turn leads to interesting discussions. But oh well, I guess this "discussion" has run its course.

I haven't smoked in ages, but I used to try it with my friends in social gatherings and at parties when I was in high school...it just never made me have that much fun. I'd rather have a few beers or something like that...it just made me feel even more groggy in the mornings...and a lot more hungry. Then, what's the point? My friends told me, Happy, Hungry, Sleepy...hell, I can be all three of those without a single dose of anything, yet, I'd see them all waste their lives away, and waste their money away. I can be all three without any stimulants. I don't even like NyQuill or tylenol PM because of the way I feel in the mornings after taking said OTC meds...I couldn't imagine feeling the way they all seemed to all of the time...almost lethargic. Nope, not for me. I'd rather be "high on life", or adrenaline...natural adrenaline, but I'm not knocking anybody down for enjoying it, though. If that's your recipe toward happiness, then by all means, pursue it if you think that's what is right for you. I just know my personal experiences. Your results may vary. I do, however smoke cigarettes....still...and it's a constant struggle to quit, even though I'm trying. (Been smoking since 11, and I'm 34, so yeah, it's difficult, not too easy considering how chemically altered tobacco is here in the states). Yes natural tobacco does exist here in the states, but it's so expensive, that even mitt romney couldn't afford even one of the cigarettes...but dang it, I'm trying! I refuse to be another cancer statistic, so I only smoke like 4 cigs a day on a bad day...but I didn't mean to go on a rant. Just my 2 cents. ;)

Eh, I smoked before I was 18 although it wasn't a routine thing for me back then. Now I'm older this study has no effect on me.

EDIT: I should probably say that the reason I mention the above is that while I have have smoked before I was 18, I don't feel that I've been held back IQ-wise. I guess that's because it wasn't a regular occurance though.

I'd have to say that study is almost pure BS!!

I smoked pot daily, morning, noon and night, back in school and many years afterwards and still kept straight A's, and a job, and have been a fully functional adult, ever since. Pot may not be good for you and your lungs more so than your brain, but I'd prefer pot to be legal over alcohol anyday of the week!

Woah. I don't know where that came from. I mentioned that I would smoke with friends once in a while and all of a sudden you've got this idea that I was a pothead that smoked during class time?

And feeling like crap is your opinion. We would have a giggle, and then get tired and have an early night. I also only smoked on the weekend (a Friday or Saturday evening), so in no way was I under the influence when there was something important to be done.

I smoked pot daily, morning, noon and night, back in school and many years afterwards and still kept straight A's, and a job, and have been a fully functional adult, ever since. Pot may not be good for you and your lungs more so than your brain, but I'd prefer pot to be legal over alcohol anyday of the week!

I smoked pot daily, morning, noon and night, back in school and many years afterwards and still kept straight A's, and a job, and have been a fully functional adult, ever since.

But as we've pointed out in this thread, people have different reactions the same way that they do with all drugs, legal and illegal. While I appreciate that in your experience it didn't hinder you (and I would say that I share that experience) the point of the study is that they take a larger group of subjects and monitor the results. I'm sure the evidence shows that - out of a test group of 100 people - there was a percentage that were like you and me and were able to function without any adverse effects. The real result though is that of the majority, and if the majority of people showed a lower IQ results then that is the conclusion that the study reaches.

I'd prefer pot to be legal over alcohol any day of the week!

If I had to choose one or the other for being legal then I think I would stay with alcohol. But maybe that's because that is the situation that we are in right now and I'm in a position to do both regardless of what the law tells me. Obviously I think the ideal situation would be to make both legal.

May I just ask you Intrinsica,

In my opinion if you support marijuana then I think you should not even take the news article into notice.

Like seriously, there's loads of this crap even on the "news news".

And even if does effect the IQ then sure what can we do?, that's just the way it is.

like stuff is stuff who cares lol.

May I just ask you Intrinsica,

In my opinion if you support marijuana then I think you should not even take the news article into notice.

While I may support marijuana, that is only based on what I have established through research. And like anyone, my opinions can be proven to be wrong. If I don't continue to read up on the latest "findings" then how can I maintain or change my position on the subject? If we thought like that (i.e. form an opinion and then forget all other findings) then we would still think that the Earth was flat.

The image below may have been re-sized, Please view in FULL SCREEN. (Zoom in on the image, Thank You. )

Capture.PNG

Source of image: http://medicalmarijuana.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=000145 (link)

I would also like to make clear that in the image:

- I don't care about it

- I am not making any conspiracy or some crap like that, I am just saying...

- There are millions of websites that try to trick people, some websites include information that is totally bogus/make it look professional/people will believe the "facts"/etc.

- Like in the website above there are millions of people that see that without reading those disclaimers and then take it into afact that marijuana has killed no one and that ADD medications/etc are "TOXIC" and kills thousandths.

Also take in, that is the 2#nd ranking page on Google.

Google give what people want to see. (along those lines, what I said there may/is not exact but you know what I mean) . [ note: I don't mean to come from any knowledge as this is my own opinion. Thank You.

And if you wish, check this out:

Image%202012-08-30%20at%2011.16.43%20AM.png

Source of image: http://www.procon.org/view.background-resource.php?resourceID=1519 (link)

For shizzle?

Drugs are classified for the reasons why they cannot be purchased over the counter.

I don't really care about people that flaunt the law and take illegal drugs.

I personally think all drugs should be legalised.

Cut down on crime.

If you want help coming off the drugs, then you pay.

I would also like to point out:

- I am not in any way anti "procon.org" or "saying" what they are doing is illegal/unlawful/bogus/etc.

- I wish them well and all the other sites that give "information" like that, I am just giving my opinion.

- I don't in any way encourage anti-information/anti-them or anything,etc.

- I don't think of what I just said as "I found this", "omg this is such a big deal, they are screwed,",etc. What I posted was already obvious but some people "may" have missed it, and even if not or missed it then I am still making no point, I am just saying "ok guys, don't take everything on websites as a fact/real".

- etc.

The image below may have been re-sized, Please view in FULL SCREEN. (Zoom in on the image, Thank You. )

Capture.PNG

Source of image: http://medicalmariju...sourceID=000145 (link)

I would also like to make clear that in the image:

- I don't care about it

- I am not making any conspiracy or some crap like that, I am just saying...

- There are millions of websites that try to trick people, some websites include information that is totally bogus/make it look professional/people will believe the "facts"/etc.

- Like in the website above there are millions of people that see that without reading those disclaimers and then take it into afact that marijuana has killed no one and that ADD medications/etc are "TOXIC" and kills thousandths.

Also take in, that is the 2#nd ranking page on Google.

Google give what people want to see. (along those lines, what I said there may/is not exact but you know what I mean) . [ note: I don't mean to come from any knowledge as this is my own opinion. Thank You.

And if you wish, check this out:

Image%202012-08-30%20at%2011.16.43%20AM.png

Source of image: http://www.procon.or...resourceID=1519 (link)

WTH are you rambling on about?

I would also like to point out:

- I am not in any way anti "procon.org" or "saying" what they are doing is illegal/unlawful/bogus/etc.

- I wish them well and all the other sites that give "information" like that, I am just giving my opinion.

- I don't think of what I just said as "I found this", "omg this is such a big deal, they are screwed,",etc. What I posted was already obvious but some people "may" have missed it, and even if not or missed it then I am still making no point, I am just saying "ok guys, don't take everything on websites as a fact/real".

- etc.

Your posts are not coherent

I've got to say that I agree with Mudslag when it comes to your posts, EdenHerman. I think part of the problem is that your views in this thread seem to have varied wildly from being "anti drugs" to "I don't care" to "Hey, weed can't be all bad since these "statistics" (which you indeed point out shouldn't be taken as complete fact) show that more people die from prescription medication."

And this brings me back to my point, which is that - while you shouldn't trust everything you read - you can get a good basis for an idea from looking at multiple sources. If it were just procon.org with those kind of statistics then it wouldn't necessarily be a valid argument, but there are plenty of similar statistics out there, with nothing to argue against them. For that reason we can at least assume that the statistics presented above are at least some form of ball-park figure.

I'll start with this: I have a great amount of respect for someone with enough confidence to write in their second language. I can speak French, but it takes a lot of effort for me to write in French. And the reason I avoid writing in French where possible is that I can't necessarily get my point across in writing.

Looking at the post you've made, I'm assuming that English is your second language rather than your mother tongue. So as I said, I'm impressed that you want to try and get your point across in a language that isn't your mother tongue. Keep it up, for sure. The only problem is that I cannot understand what you're trying to say, or it isn't specific enough for me to be sure that I understand.

http://www.procon.or...resourceID=1519 -> those news/"health" sites -> sources for Wikipedia,etc.

From that I assume that you're trying to say that procon comes up with the statistics, the news and health sites take those statistics to make their articles, and then wikipedia uses those articles to create their webpages. Is that what you are getting at?

I know, I know that its your own job really to look up the stuff but sometimes you can take things into facts.

Are you trying to say that sometimes people read things and automatically assume them to be true, without doing their own research? If so then I agree. However, all of this appears to be moving away from the point of the article.

One final (off-topic) tip: If English is your mother tongue, take a pause before hitting the "post" button. Ask yourself, "does this make sense to me?" "Is there some way someone could misunderstand my point?" "Is there some way I could simplify my point to make it easier to understand?" The easier it is for the rest of us to understand your point, the easier it is to continue a discussion. (Y)

So if marijuana is safe then why is it illegal?.

Why don't the government "like" it then?

hehe, caught ya there mate.

If cigarettes aren't safe then why is they legal?

Why does the government "like" it then?

Caught you there, bro.

I'll let you in on a little secret, it's same reason for both. Lobbying.

Good lord, you've given me a heavy dose of herp derp this morning.

Because we didn't know that at the time we made them legal, and now we can't ban it because some people are cigarette addicts.

Caught you there, bro.

I'll let you in on a little secret, it's same reason for both. Lobbying.

Good lord, you've given me a heavy dose of herp derp this morning.

Yes I know, I was just stating how obvious it is.

Because we didn't know that at the time we made them legal, and now we can't ban it because some people are cigarette addicts.

you mean like how heroin and cocaine were legal, and people were addicts, and they made it illegal anyways?

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't start smoking until I was about 19... but now for the past 11 years, now that I'm 30, I've probably smoked once a day at least. Went from being a very heavy smoker, a few blunts of KB a day, to now a very light, 1 or 2 small bowls a night, type of smoker.

If it has lowered my IQ, it has only brought me down to above average :p When I talk to people, they always like to say how I am very quick and witty. Or pretty sharp and know a lot. Maybe I just hang out with stupid people, or maybe it just affects others differently.

It sure can lead people to be lazy and spaced out. But I think the whole IQ perspective is something that comes from character traits that might be enhanced by pot, such as laziness and such. If you don't use it, you lose it :p

I've been trying to quit smoking though. It's not addictive physically.... but when you have been doing something for such a long time, it has its grips in your daily life that are hard to get away from. But one of these days I'll fully quit...