How Samsung Is Making Windows 8 Less Scary

I don't understand all the bashing of this thread. Lot of user are not seduced by the new windows 8 version, and this little gagdet might be a relief for people afraid of adopting windows 8. And even if it comes pre-installed , the user can change his mind and uninstall it later.

How have they somehow managed to rip off both the Windows 7 start menu AND the OS X dock in one move?

There are an unknown number of unimagined new ways to present the desktop to the user, all brimming with originality. Samsung seems incapable of dipping into that well.

The silliest part is, the description points out missing the old "click start and type" that users are familiar with, even though it exists functionally identical in Windows 8. You do literally the same thing: click in the lower left corner of the screen (launches start), and start typing (start search). The behavior is click-for-click the. Exact. Same. As. Before.

• Like 2

Oh no :( Just like they ruin mobile operating systems, for the average user, with their Sense UI, they're looking to ruin Windows 8 :( Unfortunately, many average users don't even understand that Samsung's separate, inconsistent-with-the-operating-system UIs aren't part of the operating system, meaning some may erroneously believe this is actually how Windows 8 looks and functions.

Here's an idea, Samsung, stop it, especially if you're going to design the UIs in a completely different style to the operating system.

They're harming Microsoft's image, in my opinion.

I don't mind apps that can be specifically downloaded to bring such functionality back, if the user wishes, but Samsung tend to install and enable these things by default, leading many to erroneously believe it's part of the operating system.

Sure that looks nothing like the OSX dock. Come on samsung you're just asking for apple to get mad

Linux has tons of docks like that and is apple mad?

Linux has tons of docks like that and is apple mad?

Yes. Try selling one of them or having more than a few thousand users for one of them.

Apple already killed several windows docks who got popular and/or tried to sell for money. And I believe they've even forced changes to a few Linux docks.

Yes. Try selling one of them or having more than a few thousand users for one of them.

Apple already killed several windows docks who got popular and/or tried to sell for money. And I believe they've even forced changes to a few Linux docks.

what docks did they shut down that were paid and not free?

The complaints about Windows 8 on PCs go beyond a lack of a mere start button. It's the general navigation of the UI on a non-touch interface and how things that used to be done in 1 or 2 steps now take 3 or 4, depending on what you are trying to do. A start button doesn't remedy that. I applaud Samsung for trying but at the same time it's just added bloat.

This S dock will be terrible to use because you can't hit a target at the center of the screen as easily as the one in a corner. Terrible design, terrible aesthetics. :no:

Title should be "Samsung admits Windows 8 isn't good enough, adds back removed features"

Shame we won't get Windows Media Player back though. An app I used a lot, now gone.

Hugs my Windows 7

Title should be "Samsung admits Windows 8 isn't good enough, adds back removed features"

Shame we won't get Windows Media Player back though. An app I used a lot, now gone.

Hugs my Windows 7

Windows Media Player is still part of Windows 8.

Windows Media Player is still part of Windows 8.

Where though? I can't find it in any of the program folders and I searched for Media, Windows, Player and nothing came up in the Metro-Search. Where art thou windows media player?

I also set the Metro start screen to show all apps and I couldn't find it there either.

Which version of Windows 8 are you using? I have Windows 8 Pro installed. It comes up in the Metro search for one. Also look under %systemdrive%\Program Files\Windows Media Player.

Hugs my Windows 7

Third party docks and other redundant software were added to Win7 too though. :/ .

Which version of Windows 8 are you using? I have Windows 8 Pro installed. It comes up in the Metro search for one. Also look under %systemdrive%\Program Files\Windows Media Player.

I guess I have the wrong version. I'm using Enterprise.

Goes off to install Pro

I guess I have the wrong version. I'm using Enterprise.

Goes off to install Pro

You could try going to Programs & Features and click "Turn Windows features on or off" on the left sidebar. Under "Media Features" there is an option for "Windows Media Player".

That option may not be available though if you have the "N" version of Windows installed.

Oh hey bloatware.

Thanks Samsung for telling me not to buy your products.

Since when do vendors not install bloatware on laptops? They always did and they always will.

• Like 1

Here's an idea, Samsung, stop it, especially if you're going to design the UIs in a completely different style to the operating system.

They're harming Microsoft's image, in my opinion.

Samsung are selling these devices, why shouldn't they bundle their software which they believe makes benefits their less tech savvy consumers? And I honestly doubt the average customer cares whether or not the operating system design is consistent. But even then, maybe they designed it this way to show it wasn't actually a part of Windows.

I believe Microsoft welcome OEM software since they offer a service to get rid of all of it for you.

I'm also wondering why you care about Microsoft's image, do you work in the marketing department? Microsoft's a big-boy, it can take care of itself.

Samsung are selling these devices, why shouldn't they bundle their software which they believe makes benefits their less tech savvy consumers? And I honestly doubt the average customer cares whether or not the operating system design is consistent. But even then, maybe they designed it this way to show it wasn't actually a part of Windows.

I believe Microsoft welcome OEM software since they offer a service to get rid of all of it for you.

I'm also wondering why you care about Microsoft's image, do you work in the marketing department? Microsoft's a big-boy, it can take care of itself.

I believe Samsung should have installed this software on their products but taken the user through some kind of setup screen, asking them if they'd like it enabled by default and telling them that it is separate software and not a part of Windows itself.

I care about Microsoft's image because I am currently a fan of them and I currently use their products, so I'd like them to do as well as possible. Also, the more of my friends who use Microsoft products the better, due to the integration in the platforms, and how some of the apps on the platforms interact with each other.

I'm also wondering why you care about Microsoft's image, do you work in the marketing department?

I'm wondering the same. I've never seen any other place, where people are whining that any change introduced by Microsoft might be unpopular. The average desktop user, want the start menu to be back, get over it.

Cool now the complete noobs (I say complete cause my mom and grandma both seem to function just fine on windows 8 so they must be worse to be stuck lol) can use Windows 8

I believe Samsung should have installed this software on their products but taken the user through some kind of setup screen, asking them if they'd like it enabled by default and telling them that it is separate software and not a part of Windows itself.

How do we know they don't have that?

Plus they called it the 'SLauncher', and gave it Samsung-esque makeup.

Even then I doubt anyone actually purchasing Samsung systems care.

And you could argue that Microsoft is the only one hurting its image by removing the Start Menu in the first place, Samsung wouldn't have had to put their own in etc etc.

In the end Windows 8s reception isn't going to come down to Samsung or any other OEM pre-installing widgets. So you can sleep easy tonight,

I'm wondering the same. I've never seen any other place, where people are whining that any change introduced by Microsoft might be unpopular. The average desktop user, want the start menu to be back, get over it.

People who try to end a point with "get over it" have failed to make a point at all.