Windows 8 Rename Network

In Windows 7 you could do it but the option seems to be hidden or gone in Windows 8.

In Windows 7 you opened "Network and Sharing Center" and then clicked the icon, here it would then let you change the name and icon. - The icon is gone in Windows 8.

*Please note I'm trying to rename the network itselt, not the network connection / adapter.

At the moment it is listed as "Network 3" which isn't particularly helpful for identifying the network. - Windows 7 on the same network seems to identify it by the router name.

In Windows 7 you could do it but the option seems to be hidden or gone in Windows 8.

In Windows 7 you opened "Network and Sharing Center" and then clicked the icon, here it would then let you change the name and icon. - The icon is gone in Windows 8.

*Please note I'm trying to rename the network itselt, not the network connection / adapter.

At the moment it is listed as "Network 3" which isn't particularly helpful for identifying the network. - Windows 7 on the same network seems to identify it by the router name.

Probably another useful feature stripped from Windows 8 because their 'telemetry' showed no one ever changed the name or the icon. Of course, I did, which is why it's gone now. Most likely.

• Like 2

Just some clarification - this is what you want to change. And yours says Network 3?

post-14624-0-89263900-1346430253_thumb.j

Could you post up a screenshot of yours please.. Just so we are all clear what your seeing and want to change.

edit: Ok not sure if you can do this with some clicking anywhere like you use to be able to do. I am not anywhere near up to speed on win8 changes.

But you for sure can change it here

post-14624-0-56714500-1346430738_thumb.j

Right click "Computer"

Left click "Properties"

Left click "Change Settings"

Left click "Change"

Same as it's been since the days of Windows 2000

That's to change the Workgroup name, not the Network name.

Yeah, this is a useful feature as changing network adapters (most people do with with wireless USB adapters) or making some router changes can leave you with <My Network Name> 2. Doesn't keep anything from working but is quite irritating.

Hah. I have like 40 times "The Phone House XX" in my list, where XX is a different number every time. Every store has their own WiFi hotspot, every time you connect Windows creates a different network thing. A bit annoying at times.

Thanks BudMan - yep that's exactly what I wanted to change :) - why on earth they would remove the quick click option is beyond comprehension.

I'm sure they were using the same logic when removing the ability to change fonts in the UI.

Probably another useful feature stripped from Windows 8 because their 'telemetry' showed no one ever changed the name or the icon. Of course, I did, which is why it's gone now. Most likely.

I honestly didn't even know you could do this in win7 in the first place :/

Every router I've ever changed only changes the Wireless name, the ethernet name seems to almost always stay as the name of the manufacturer or even worse is given the generic name "Network".

If you were using only a switch to connect multiple machines then it would almost certainly display only the generic name.

• 3 weeks later...

You can set this via a DHCP server 015 DNS Domain Name for the entire network

I don't think so, because I set that option to local.lan - and as you saw in my test it showed up as network.

15 1+ Domain Name. RFC 2132

@PaCpiS glad the solution worked for you.

edit: Well I take that back, I might have to look into this a bit. Not sure if use that or option 81? Just looked at a quick sniff and looks like 81 not 15 is being used. Have to test that ;)

• Like 1

0714654b.png

Odd it must be the DNS server then ? It happens whenever i connect a computer to the network via dhcp even without joining to the domain

I have not been able to find specifics on how that gets set? Anyone have link to document that states how that name gets determined? Looks like if wireless it might ssid, etc. But like on my wired interface its network, network 1, network 2, etc.. I clearly set the machine to be in a domain and hand out domain via dhcp -- might be option 81 though.. I think 15 is the old option, 81 is in a newer rfc.

But I clearly setup domain local.lan and is set on all my machines and dhcp, and dns -- used as search domain, etc. And never shows that for network name. But will test that option 15 to see what happens.

edit: have not been able to find a GOOD document on all the variables that come into play that are checked on how windows determines that your on a different network. I know its more than just gateway addess and mac, there are quite a few things looked at to setup the profile of the network, so that it knows if your on a different one and to ask if private or public and setup firewall rules. But have not seen a good writeup on how the process works.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Does MS provide any OFFICIAL statement on why this network renaming feature is being removed in Windows 8?

I don't think so. If they wanted to remove it, they should have made some other way to make the default printer (based on network) dialog usable.

Mine says DD-WRT which is what my router is named in router settings, changing that should also change the name of the network right ?

Every router I've ever changed only changes the Wireless name, the ethernet name seems to almost always stay as the name of the manufacturer or even worse is given the generic name "Network".

If you were using only a switch to connect multiple machines then it would almost certainly display only the generic name.

on mine some of the wired clients pick it up as network and some of them pick it up the same as the wireless one called "pinkiepie" for the main network and "derpy" for the guest network....

• 3 months later...

Hi there, same problem here and i found out the solution :)

Hit Winkey + R to open Run prompt and type gpedit.msc

Navigate to: Computer Configuration | Windows Settings | Security Setting | Network List Manager Policies

Choose your Network name from the right pane. Here you can change the NAME, if is PRIVATE or not, The ICON of the network and so on :)

• Like 3

I've just been having a lot of trouble with Windows 8. Driver issues and what not. Beginning to think it isn't worth the effort!