What Killed the Linux Desktop (by GNOME founder Miguel de Icaza)

ViperAFK

And there's just ALWAYS something isn't there? Installation failing for whatever reason, hardware not working properly, not seeing your screen resolution in the list, unable to set the proper keyboard layout, unable to install whatever software, etc. Which in its turn ALWAYS leads to one thing: Having to fiddle around in Terminal trying to manually add things through commands I don't really understand.

Yesterday I spent 1,5 hours trying to install Arch Linux in VMware Fusion. It kept failing, so after a while I just ended up being frustrated and threw the whole thing in the Trash. Then I tried Fedora, but couldn't figure out how to uninstall certain apps and install the new ones I wanted. Documentation I found involved much older versions of the OS. Also ended up frustrated.

Ubuntu so far is the only one that sort of just works. Except when booting natively I can't get my bluetooth Apple Keyboard to work, no matter what I try. In VMware Fusion I can't apply any 16:9 resolution, even after fiddling around in xorg.conf. I created a config file that used to work in the previous version of Ubuntu, but not anymore. Again, very frustrating. Looking around the internet there I don't know how many people who can't get any 16:9 resolution to work.

Here I am talking about the most basic of basic things. Really don't want to know what happens when I actually need more advanced stuff to work. I never ran in so many issues with either OS X or Windows. Sure, little annoyances here and there. But never fundamental problems that drove me mad to the point I just gave up.

It's a bit of a shame though, since I think the overall progress being made with Ubuntu is great.

If you buy hardware that is linux friendly you don't have to worry about any of this. My intel graphics work perfectly out of the box in every linux distribution, same with my wireless, media keys etc...

I haven't had to touch a xorg.conf file in years, afiak xorg.conf is deprecated now. I did some googling and now for xorg.conf stuff its recommended to use /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-monitor.conf or /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-monitor.conf (depends on distro), this article might help for ubuntu: http://samuelmartin....-lubuntu-12-04/. You may be able to drop your old xorg.conf into this new file :)

Linux developers have to work very hard to support the myriads of possible hardware configurations, and hardware manufacturers aren't always linux friendly, so you can't reasonably expect every hardware configuration to work problem-free in linux as it does in windows. IMO ubuntu does a great job considering this :)

Regarding fedora to remove an app just sudo yum remove appname and to install just sudo yum install appname or search for it in the package manager check the box and hit install. I will agree fedora's graphical package manager is really terrible compared to ubuntu's (which is why I always use yum from the commandline in fedora because its graphical packagemanager gave me a lot of trouble), but otherwise its a good distro.

• Like 1
n_K

Linux is great but it doesnt have the support from commercial companies like microsoft does and what they do with OEM and also the money for advertising like Apple does.

Errr, what? Red hat? SuSE? Mandriva (or however it's spelt)? Conical (Ubuntu)? Red Flag? Asianux? Oracle Hardened?

They're all companies that provide their own distros of linux AND provide commercial support.

In fact, Red Hat recently announced how well they are doing, http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/03/28/us-redhat-idUSBRE82R1CU20120328 and http://www.neowin.net/news/red-hat-the-first-billion-dollar-linux-company

.Neo
I haven't had to touch a xorg.conf file in years, afiak xorg.conf is deprecated now. I did some googling and now for xorg.conf stuff its recommended to use /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-monitor.conf, this article might help: http://samuelmartin....-lubuntu-12-04/. You may be able to drop your old xorg.conf into this new file :)

Thanks for the tip, I'll see if it works out. (Y)

Edit It worked out brilliantly! You're da man ViperAFK! :D

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
Modeline "1920x1080_60.00" 173.00 1920 2048 2248 2576 1080 1083 1088 1120 -hsync +vsync
EndSection
Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "vmwgfx"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1920x1080_60.00" "1024x768"
EndSubSection
EndSection
[/CODE]

post-128385-0-40440500-1346887534_thumb.

Growled

In it's own bubble seen separated from everything else yes.

relative to even MacOSX it's dead, relative to Windows, it never even made it far enough to get DOA status

Despite what the media and some fanboys say, I don't Linux has ever been in competition with the big boys. It just goes along merrily doing it's own and anyone who wants to can tag along. One day a thousand years from now when Windows and Apple have been long gone, Linux will still be prodding along. It may not be very much further than it is now, but it will still be here.

.Neo
It may not be very much further than it is now, but it will still be here.

Who's to say Linux (or anything else we've achieved for that matter) will survive whatever it is that wiped out Apple and Microsoft?

What aren't you telling us?! :|

Kreuger

I found there are a lot of good points. Only thing for me is, I don't care about the market share.

.Neo

I found there are a lot of good points. Only thing for me is, I don't care about the market share.

A lot of people here don't seem to realize you don't need 90% marketshare in order to be successful.

javagreen

A lot of people here don't seem to realize you don't need 90% marketshare in order to be successful.

That's a long shot, really.

There are tons of people who know and understand that. It's actually funny you touch on this, because most, if not all, attacks made against Linux include the said "marketshare" as a metric.

.Neo
There are tons of people who know and understand that. It's actually funny you touch on this, because most, if not all, attacks made against Linux include the said "marketshare" as a metric.

OS X is living proof marketshare isn't everything. It "only" has 5-10% marketshare depending on who you believe, yet it has broad commercial software and hardware support. Developers who previously left or never really invested in the platform do now. Electronic Arts, Steam, Autodesk (AutoCAD) to name a few big ones.

HawkMan

OSX has a 5% marketshare and is doing well.

Linux however has a ~1% marketshare total. each distro is pretty much at less than 0.1%, for the big ones. since linux isn't linux. linux is just the kernel.

Kreuger

I don't care if the marketshare is zero. As long as people are willing to keep developing the OS, kernel, software and distros themselves, I'm happy

Growled

I don't care if the marketshare is zero. As long as people are willing to keep developing the OS, kernel, software and distros themselves, I'm happy

I feel the same way. I wish more people felt this way.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Namerah S
      How to enable the dark theme on Facebook desktop
      by Namerah Saud Fatmi

Social media giant Facebook released dark mode for the desktop and iOS platforms in March last year. Even though testing of the Android version of the dark theme began earlier, general availability came out after the desktop and iOS versions.

We have already done a tutorial to turn on dark mode on Android. Today's guide will walk you through the steps of toggling the desktop version of dark mode. Follow the below instructions to say hello to the dark side of Facebook on PCs.

Step 1: Visit Facebook on your PC's web browser. Once open, locate the small arrow pointing downwards on the upper left corner of the dashboard and click on it.

Step 2: After clicking on the little downwards-pointing arrow, a dropdown menu will pop up. Select the "Display & accessibility" option.

Step 3: Clicking on the "Display & accessibility" option will take you to the dark mode feature. Simply click "on" to enable it.

Here are some before and after screenshots to showcase the differences in theme on Facebook's desktop dark mode:

With that, we conclude this short and easy tutorial to toggle the dark mode on Facebook on desktops. Happy browsing!

• By News Staff
      Practical Linux Security Cookbook - Second Edition ($35.99 Value) Free Download
      by Steven Parker

Claim your complimentary eBook (worth $35.99) for free, before the offer expires on 03/03.

Over the last few years, system security has gained a lot of momentum and software professionals are focusing heavily on it.

Linux is often treated as a highly secure operating system. However, the reality is that Linux has its share of security aws, and these security aws allow attackers to get into your system and modify or even destroy your important data. But there’s no need to panic, since there are various mechanisms by which these aws can be removed, and this book will help you learn about different types of Linux security to create a more secure Linux system.

With a step-by-step recipe approach, the book starts by introducing you to various threats to Linux systems. Then, this book will walk you through customizing the Linux kernel and securing local files. Next, you will move on to managing user authentication both locally and remotely and mitigating network attacks. Later, you will learn about application security and kernel vulnerabilities. You will also learn about patching Bash vulnerability, packet filtering, handling incidents, and monitoring system logs. Finally, you will learn about auditing using system services and performing vulnerability scanning on Linux.

By the end of this book, you will be able to secure your Linux systems and create a robust environment.

This free offer expires on March 3.

How to get it
      Please ensure you read the terms and conditions to claim this offer. Complete and verifiable information is required in order to receive this free offer. If you have previously made use of these free offers, you will not need to re-register. While supplies last!

>> Practical Linux Security Cookbook - Second Edition ($35.99 Value) - free download <<
      Offered by Packt Publishing, view their other free resources. Expires 03/03/21.

Not for you?
      That's OK, there are other deals on offer you can check out here.

Home Gym Giveaway | Ultimate Gaming Giveaway (feat. PlayStation 5 & Xbox Series X) Ivacy VPN - 5 year subscription for just $1 per month NordVPN - 2 year subscription at up to 68% off Private Internet Access VPN - subscriptions at up to 71% off Unlocator VPN or SmartDNS - unblock Geoblock with 7-day free trial Neowin Store for our preferred partners. Subscribe to Neowin - for $14 a year, or $28 a year for Ad-Free experience Disable Sponsored posts · Neowin Deals · Free eBooks · Neowin Store

Disclosure: This is a StackCommerce deal or giveaway in partnership with Neowin; an account at StackCommerce is required to participate in any deals or giveaways. For a full description of StackCommerce's privacy guidelines, go here. Neowin benefits from shared revenue of each sale made through our branded deals site, and it all goes toward the running costs.

• By Abhay V
      Google rolling out dark theme for Search on the desktop for some users
      by Abhay Venkatesh

Google seems to be rolling out a new dark mode for Search on the desktop for some users. A new pop-up message suggesting that “Dark theme is now available has begun showing up for people, based on user posts on Twitter, which was corroborated by folks over at 9to5Google as well. The feature seems to also be showing up for users when accessing Google Search from the desktop in Incognito mode.

The prompt reportedly redirects users to a setting that lets them choose between light, dark, or system theme. This means that the search engine will adapt to the system theme settings on Windows and macOS, making it a much more streamlined option for those that prefer to switch between themes regularly. However, it is not clear if the rollout is part of an A/B test or an actual staggered release since the feature supposedly gets disabled for some users after a page refresh or when users navigate to image search.

This isn’t the first time that users have been able to spot dark mode for Search on the web. Back in May last year, the company was testing the theming option on mobile browsers via a hidden flag. Early this year, there were reports of a randomized test with an experience similar to what users are reporting today.

As for the theming option itself, the company is keeping the experience in line with its mobile apps, which means that the UI adapts a dark grey background color with white text. From the screenshots posted by users, it does not look like there are too many rough edges, although, the theme is applicable only to a few pages.

The addition of a dark theme for Search on the web will be a welcome addition for those that prefer the theming option, especially when working in dimly lit environments. It will be interesting to see if the Mountain View company expands the rollout of the feature soon or if this is another toe dip in the water to gauge reception from users.

• By zikalify
      Debian 10.8 launches with new software patches and updates
      by Paul Hill

Image via Alex Makas The Debian Project has announced the availability of Debian 10.8, the eighth update to its stable distribution Debian 10. Each time a point release is made available, a new ISO is spun with all the latest security fixes and software updates so that they do not need to be installed when Debian is installed on a new system.

Some packages that have received updates with Debian 10.8 include Firefox ESR, Chromium, Flatpak, VLC, the Linux kernel, OpenSSL, X.Org, APT and Thunderbird. The NVIDIA graphics drivers have also been updated to a newer upstream version that fixes a denial of service issue.

Appealing to users to think about the environment, the Debian Project said:

Debian 10 was first launched on July 6, 2019, and it’s set to receive long-term support until 2024. Each new version of Debian arrives every two years but launch dates are not set in stone. If there aren’t any delays, Debian 11 should come out this year and Debian 10 will be demoted to the status of Old Stable alongside Debian 9 which is maintained by the main Debian security team until July 18, 2020.

• By zikalify
      Canonical releases second point release of Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
      by Paul Hill

Canonical has announced the availability of Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS – the second point release for Ubuntu 20.04 LTS. As with other point releases, Canonical has spun a new ISO that includes all the security and software updates and it comes with the latest hardware enablement stacks so that newer hardware works properly.

Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS is available for the Desktop, Server, and Cloud products as well as other flavours of Ubuntu such as Kubuntu, Ubuntu Budgie, Ubuntu MATE, Lubuntu, Ubuntu Kylin, Ubuntu Studio, and Xubuntu. If you want to download any of the Ubuntu products or the spins, head over to the Ubuntu downloads page and find what you want.

According to the Ubuntu 20.04 release notes page, Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS ships with the Linux 5.8 kernel instead of Linux 5.4 which was the original kernel shipped last April when Focal Fossa came out. Those installing Ubuntu Server will have to opt-in to using the new kernel through the installer bootloader as it’s not the default choice.

As with all Ubuntu LTS releases, you should expect security and software updates for five years until the first half of 2025. The derivative flavours are an exception, however, receiving support for just three years.