I don't know about anyone else, but I'm finding this game harder than I feel I normally would. Particularly the soldiers (I'm playing through 'we got hostiles' at the minute). Is it just me sucking, or is this game quite hard (not in a bad way)?

I agree with you, those soldiers are not as dumb as they were in HL1. You can't just hide in a corner. They will find you and probably kill you. It's a great challenge.

I'm on Normal btw.

I agree with you, those soldiers are not as dumb as they were in HL1. You can't just hide in a corner. They will find you and probably kill you. It's a great challenge.

I'm on Normal btw.

Same. Glad I checked the settings before I started playing to be honest. Defaulting to easy is silly :p

It's fairly difficult, but I seem to recall the original Half-Life being fairly difficult, too.

I'm finding the gunplay not very tight, but it's still better than the overwhelming majority of retail games.

The bullsquids and houndeyes are definitely more potent and the helicopter gunships are more challenging that I remember (they seem a lot more mobile). However, I think it works really well. The majority of people playing Black Mesa will already be familiar with the game, so the challenge comes from the AI.

Black mesa is really a good remake of the original. can't understand why people are complaining, this was probably a small group who created this. impressive. not to mention that valve seems to have had a helping hand as looking at the credits.

can't understand why people are complaining

lol. It's the internet, dude, everyone complains about everything. You could make the greatest game of all time and people would call it's devs *******s and the game itself a pile of ****.

Anyway, Black Mesa looks great. I only got to play about 1/2 an hour but I'm pretty impressed.

I find myself really loving the grain effect and the luminescent toxic waste...

0242B6B335DBBB9975513B1849D3114D0503ED93

I really can't believe that this is a free game. It's beautiful! This is what I was expecting from Half-Life: Source when it came out.

I installed yesterday and wow! Its bringing back memories I tell you but I am luckily playing it on a PC maybe 50x greater then what I had in 1998 lol.

I don't think I ever completed HL1 but this time I will I'm loving it. If you haven't downloaded it already do so now its bloody awesome for free!

I installed yesterday and wow! Its bringing back memories I tell you but I am luckily playing it on a PC maybe 50x greater then what I had in 1998 lol.

I don't think I ever completed HL1 but this time I will I'm loving it. If you haven't downloaded it already do so now its bloody awesome for free!

I agree the whole Half Life experience got me started into computer gaming. Taking my time playing and enjoying it, not trying to see how fast I can get through.

I find myself really loving the grain effect and the luminescent toxic waste...

0242B6B335DBBB9975513B1849D3114D0503ED93

I really can't believe that this is a free game. It's beautiful! This is what I was expecting from Half-Life: Source when it came out.

That is a beautiful shot. You can really see the luminescent effect.

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone else annoyed by crouch-jumping? I can't pull it off properly 75% of the time. Crouch-jumping in Half-Life 2 was much easier.

Also, I had a head-scratching moment when I encountered a Houndeye early in the game. Every time I reached the area, the Houndeye would uses its sonic attack to make a crate explode which in turn made the floor collapse. My first thought was to try to kill it before it could emit a sonic pulse but that proved futile after a couple of tries. I took a break out of frustration and boredom. The solution came to me as I stared at the loading bar: sprinting. The first couple of tries resulted in being pushed off the floor by the explosion. I don't know if it was luck or skill but I managed to cross the area before the floor collapsed underneath me.

Now that I thought of it, I'd say it's the most difficult gaming experience I've had since my days of playing Donkey Kong 64 as a child.

• Like 1

Is anyone else annoyed by crouch-jumping? I can't pull it off properly 75% of the time. Crouch-jumping in Half-Life 2 was much easier.

Also, I had a head-scratching moment when I encountered a Houndeye early in the game. Every time I reached the area, the Houndeye would uses its sonic attack to make a crate explode which in turn made the floor collapse. My first thought was to try to kill it before it could emit a sonic pulse but that proved futile after a couple of tries. I took a break out of frustration and boredom. The solution came to me as I stared at the loading bar: sprinting. The first couple of tries resulted in being pushed off the floor by the explosion. I don't know if it was luck or skill but I managed to cross the area before the floor collapsed underneath me.

Now that I thought of it, I'd say it's the most difficult gaming experience I've had since my days of playing Donkey Kong 64 as a child.

There is also a Black Mesa jump fix at GameCopyWorld

http://forums.blackm...ead.php?t=13715

copy this into the autexeccfg file in the config folder for the mod:

//crouch-jump script makes life easier, thanks to mgr.inz.player

bind "space" "+crouchjump"

alias +crouchjump "+jump; wait 5; duckON"

alias -crouchjump "wait 5; duckOFF; -jump"

alias duckON "+duck"

alias duckOFF "-duck"