• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

WP8 backup includes SMS sync to Hotmail and Outlook.com

George P    5,569

We got an early glimpse at some planned Windows Phone 8 backup options in July when an SDK for the new mobile operating system leaked. Until now, we haven't known exactly how the options ? like SMS, photo, and settings backup ? will work. Sources close to Microsoft's Windows Phone 8 plans have now revealed to us that the software maker will be offering backup capability to Windows Phone users that sign in with a Microsoft account.

When you first launch a Windows Phone 8 device, a splash screen will encourage users to use a Microsoft account (as it does in Windows Phone 7) to keep data in sync. However, the new slash screen also hints at the ability to keep "photos, contacts, music, documents, and more in sync with your PC or Xbox." Although we're unable to confirm the Xbox sync plans, it appears Microsoft will allow Windows Phone users to share data easily to an Xbox console via SkyDrive.

We understand that the backup options in Windows Phone 8 include the ability to automatically upload photos and video to SkyDrive, sync SMS and MMS messages to Hotmail or Outlook.com, and sync settings such as themes, accounts, and Internet Explorer favorites. App lists and individual app settings will also be synced as part of a backup routine. The options, which haven't been present in Windows Mobile or Windows Phone software previously, will be a much welcomed option that should help Microsoft offer a similar experience to iOS users with iCloud or Google's own Android backup options. We are expecting to Microsoft to detail its backup plans in more detail at a Windows Phone 8 event in New York on Wednesday.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/3/3287430/windows-phone-8-backup-settings-sms-options

2 more days to go!!!!

• Like 1

CG-88    150

Oh this could be useful. I have only recently started focusing on windows phones and finally introducing myself to cloud storage. Like like like

DaveLegg    1,012

Actually, SMS sync with Exchange used to exist back in Windows Mobile 6.5, with Exchange 2010, support was lost with WP7, and I'm glad to see it's returning, although I imagine the implementation will be different this time around.

123456789A    4,710

Nice to hear MS is filling in some of the gaps WP7 had.

ahhell    1,303

MS seems to have added every feature to WP8 that people complained that WP7 was missing.

CG-88    150

They are listening! This is going to be big

Osiris    831

Sync to outlook and hotmail is pretty cool, nice new feature there although im not sure id really want to sift back over all my SMS to be honest.

George P    5,569

It seems you can pick if you want to sync it or not. The backup options don't seem to be all or nothing but rather different levels, sms/mms being part of one group it seems while app settings are another group. So there's a bit of fine control to it.

BajiRav    2,137

This is something I'd really love using. I hope this backs up everything under "Messaging" (Text, Messenger and facebook).

• Like 1