Developers Finally reveal Wii U specs + new Zombi U GP

Developers Finally Reveal Wii U Specs

Posted on August 30, 2012 by sickr

wii_u_console_and_controller2.jpg?w=584&h=320

Wii U will be powered by a CPU which features three IBM Power PC Cores, an AMD series 7 GPU and 1GB of memory available to games. The console?s CPU is apparently formed of three IBM Power PC cores of an undefined clock speed, though reports suggest this to be lower than the Xbox 360 and PS3. The developers also say that the machine has 1GB of RAM available to games which is approximately twice that of the Xbox 360. The GPU is a custom AMD 7 series, supporting shader type 4 and DX10 type features, with embedded eDRAM.

More at this link http://mynintendonew...al-wii-u-specs/

Credit for this news and info and images above and copies text goes to Nintendo and a user by the name of Slikr from said website

While as we know now that clock speed is not everything i believe that this is why the Developer stated what he stated because the Wii U would be using a far newer Power based CPU most likely a Power 7 variant of some kind but even @ 1.5ghz or what ever the speed would be it still be amazingly faster then the 360 or PS3 at the 3.2ghz anyways i think the GPU sound good for the system and to give Developers 1gb just for games is rather dang good and also the rest fo what ever the ram be would be for the OS and system ram .

Here is a related video on the Wii U new Zombie U gameplay video from IGN

And people were worried about it not having current gen hardware. A POWER7 CPU and a 7 series AMD GPU is about is current gen as one can get.

And people were worried about it not having current gen hardware. A POWER7 CPU and a 7 series AMD GPU is about is current gen as one can get.

Actually I was worried about it not having next gen hardware since, y'know, the Wii U's a next gen console...

Actually I was worried about it not having next gen hardware since, y'know, the Wii U's a next gen console...

How much better can you get without making the thing prohibitively expensive?

Someone care to explain to me using PPC in consoles? Isn't that the only consumer area that PPC is still being used? Just curious as to the "why" there.

They probably get deals from IBM that make using PPC chips cheaper than any other chip.

I cannot do the same thing I did with the Wii with this WiiU. I picked up the Wii because I really wanted to play one or two games, and it has collected dust since. But damn, this ZombieU games looks pretty good. The only thing is I read they are not ruling out bringing the game to other platforms, even though part of what makes it so unique for the WiiU is the gameplay elements through the controller's screen. Still I am holding out some hope maybe they can make it for the 360 or PS3 (could always do Vita somehow). So unless Nintendo also releases a few more killer exclusives besides a new Super Mario which alone is pretty much enough for me to want the system, I will be sitting the launch of the WiiU out.

Well, in comparison, the 360 has current gen graphics & back when this gen started it wasn't as expensive as, say, the PS3 was back then. It doesn't have to be super super cheap like the Wii was...

EDIT: You could argue that, "oh, well, back then which console was on top, 'ey?" but, heck, a lotta people who were rushing to buy a Wii were fully willing to pay a lot more for Wiis on eBay than they were going for at stores...

I'll buy one, if only to keep my Virtual Console games and the occassional Nintendo exclusive. I will however wait till it's been out a year and Nintendo decides to stop playing their inevitable game of B.S. "Inventory Management" with the hardware supply.

Nintendo's Peter Main came up with "Inventory Management". Obviously, I have no proof they still perform this irritating practice, but it sure seems like it sometimes:

http://stars.ign.com..._biography.html

http://www.nytimes.c...nted=all&src=pm

• Like 1

The Wii was amazing for a week also, then it collected dust... for years. Sorry Nintendo, your rehashed first-party exclusives are not going to work again.

but they will work and did work for the Wii as the Wii outsold both the PS3 and 360 for years so your oh lasted one week ro worked for one week is BS cause the Wii worked the Wii wa a huge success nits shipped

Worldwide: 96.56 million (as of June 30, 2012) (details)

http://en.wikipedia....ii#System_Sales

Wii U is next generation system and hardware and already has a huge base of 3rd party titles and developer gonna release games for it and just as Nintendo Proved everyone wrong with the Wii and Motion controls and it did cause most media before Wii was shown or released siad Wii Motion controls would cause the system to Fail many siad it Fail within weeks of release but guess what it did not Nintendo proved even sony wrong and sony later copies the Wii motion control system with the PS Move but now the Wii U has the Wii Gamepad that is very solid in the hand and lightwight and with the 2nd screen brinfgs as well Zombi U shows off new type of gameplay more immersive then before and the fact Microsoft already has the project glass they showed off tho internet based less interactive show they are following Nintendo this time as the started working on PJG a day or so after Nintendo showed off Wii U gamepad in 2011 from what i heard.

Well, in comparison, the 360 has current gen graphics & back when this gen started it wasn't as expensive as, say, the PS3 was back then. It doesn't have to be super super cheap like the Wii was...

EDIT: You could argue that, "oh, well, back then which console was on top, 'ey?" but, heck, a lotta people who were rushing to buy a Wii were fully willing to pay a lot more for Wiis on eBay than they were going for at stores...

Even the 360 and PS3 were based on what was current gen tech at the time. For example the GPU in the PS3 is roughly equivlent to a GeForce 7800 which was mid range even when it was new.

Alls I'm really saying is that it's not a big deal/won't be a big deal (in my opinion), if this console or the next XBOX/Playstation use current gen HW, since thats what they always do any way, unless your Nintendo.

The Wii was amazing for a week also, then it collected dust... for years. Sorry Nintendo, your rehashed first-party exclusives are not going to work again.

same here... launch day wii owner.....

Someone care to explain to me using PPC in consoles? Isn't that the only consumer area that PPC is still being used? Just curious as to the "why" there.

PPC is a cheaper and a more specialized chip. Intel has licensing costs for x86/x64. Then it gets down to the RISC vs CISC architecture. RISC is more software focused while CISC is more hardware focused.

Even the 360 and PS3 were based on what was current gen tech at the time. For example the GPU in the PS3 is roughly equivlent to a GeForce 7800 which was mid range even when it was new.

Alls I'm really saying is that it's not a big deal/won't be a big deal (in my opinion), if this console or the next XBOX/Playstation use current gen HW, since thats what they always do any way, unless your Nintendo.

The PS3 does use a 7800 series card but the 360 uses a far newer based GPU first Generation unified shader GPU so in reality the 360s GPU then was far more advanced then the PS3s GPU less restrictive also but that was then

So multiplatform rehashes that generally happen far more frequently than most nintendo titles are more your thing?

Oh, so you mean current gen in comparison to PCs. Nah, when I think, "current gen graphics," I think in comparison to the most powerful console this gen...

They probably get deals from IBM that make using PPC chips cheaper than any other chip.

Also, it looks like an incremental upgrade from the 360 in both CPU and GPU. Aside from the Wii U not using DirectX, devs who know how to get the most out of the 360 will be right at home on the Wii U.

WiiU looks interesting... but sorry Nintento. I didn't buy a big ass HDTV to look at a small screen for half the things I'm going to do. It's just a gimmick that makes it take more effort to do something we already can. Just because it's on another screen doesn't impress me.

I don't really want one, and nothing it does makes me say "wow", but inevitably it will somehow end up in my house when the next Super Smash Bros comes out.

Count me on that train too, my 2 kids use our Wii nonstop. It usually works to our advantage anyways because we can get them to do so many things with just a few words "if you do your homework you can play on the Wii or if you play outside for 2 hours you can play on the Wii afterwards". So as long as they keep bringing out Mario Brothers games, i'm sure Nintendo consoles will be invading this house for at least 8 more years... :yes: :whistle:

'Next' gen? It's coming out in a few months ... that's current. Not next gen. Next gen is a generation away... this is pretty much current.