5 easy tricks to boost your home Wi-Fi

1. Update your technology

If your router, computer and gadgets were made in the last two or three years, they probably support the latest wireless-N standard. If so, make sure your router is set to N-only mode for maximum speed and range. The b/g/n setting - needed to support older devices - will be slower.

If your PC is getting on in years and stuck at wireless-G, consider upgrading to a new model or a new wireless-N card.

Buy a new router if it doesn't support wireless-N. Chances are, it also doesn't support the latest security encryption.

Make sure your computer is running the latest version of its operating system and has the latest driver for your router.

Visit your router manufacturer's website to see if you've missed a firmware upgrade. I bet you have.

2. Find the sweet spot

Routers aren't the best looking gadgets, so your inclination may be to hide them. That's a bad idea because routers are susceptible to overheating and need good airflow.

The devices also perform much better when placed in an open, central location - away from walls and obstructions, such as metal filing cabinets.

If you place a router that has an omnidirectional antenna against an outside wall, it will send half its wireless signal outdoors. That might create a dead spot on the opposite side of your home.

A high location is usually better than a low one, especially if you have a two-story home. If you can, put the router on a high shelf or on top of a cabinet.

3. Change the channel

Like radio stations, wireless routers can broadcast on a number of different channels. When you and half the neighborhood are on the same channel, it causes a lot of static.

This shouldn't be a problem if your router features automatic channel selection. If it doesn't, tune in a channel with less interference. Consult your router's manual for quick assistance in changing router channels.

4. Reduce interference

Another nice thing about having a newer router is that it is probably a dual band. The 5 GHz frequency reduces interference from 2.4 GHz cordless phones, garage door openers, baby monitors and other common wireless gadgets.

Microwave ovens also emit a very strong signal in the 2.4 GHz band.

Put some extra distance between your router and interfering appliances.

5. Pop open a beer

If you've tried all this and your router still doesn't have enough reach, it's time for the trusty beer-can hack.

This involves cutting a beer or soda can open with a utility knife to make a parabolic antenna out of it. I know, it sounds a little crazy, but this trick can boost your network by two bars or more. It's easy. And I made a fun video to show you exactly how to do it. Watch it now.

Finally, once your home Wi-Fi is humming along again, don?t forget to secure your network. Encryption has little effect on the performance of newer routers.

Why does it matter? If your network is open, neighbors can piggyback on to it to do their Internet surfing - and that will really slow you down. Worse, hackers can exploit your unsecured network and snoop for personal data.

Be sure to use the latest WPA2 encryption and create a strong password.

more

N mainly gives the best range if there is nothing blocking the signal, i have to use G as when using N the wall blocks half the signal resulting on only 2-3 bars instead of 5 and random disconnectcs

N mainly gives the best range if there is nothing blocking the signal, i have to use G as when using N the wall blocks half the signal resulting on only 2-3 bars instead of 5 and random disconnectcs

Why would G have a better range than N through walls ? They can both run @ 2.4GHz

Why would G have a better range than N through walls ? They can both run @ 2.4GHz

because 2.4 isnt True N, True N is 5GHz, the Wave is longer has more trouble getting through walls, the increased ranges os only when using the 5GHz spectrum

*Edit - to be fair, between the wall the router is going through stairs, Hot Water Heater and Central Air Unit

because 2.4 isnt True N, True N is 5GHz, the Wave is longer has more trouble getting through walls, the increased ranges os only when using the 5GHz spectrum

What is the advantage of 5GHz N if both connect at 300mbps but 2.4GHz can travel further ? More clients can reach full speeds simultaneously ?

What is the advantage of 5GHz N if both connect at 300mbps but 2.4GHz can travel further ? More clients can reach full speeds simultaneously ?

300 is from the 5GHz not 2.4, 2.4 is 54/22 average

but almost all routers now have multiple antenna, so may be little higher,then the 22 average, but 300 is 5GHz only

300 is from the 5GHz not 2.4, 2.4 is 54/22 average

but almost all routers now have multiple antenna, so may be little higher,then the 22 average, but 300 is 5GHz only

My router is N 2.4GHz and I can connect @ 300mbps with my laptop

G is 54/22

EDIT - Random router

Capture.PNG

1. install dd-wrt/tomato

cool -- what is it ? :p

OIC .... But I have D-link routers.

Tomato is meant to be flashed onto your compatible wireless router to replace the stock firmware loaded by the vendor.

Yeah, but I'm guessing you don't get 300mbps speeds.

I'm not going to get exactly 300mbps obviously, for the same reason G doesn't get 54mbps, but as my router is only 100mbps wired, I have no way to test it, along with the laptop being a pita HP meaning I have to hot swap it after post to bypass the bios whitelist

cool -- what is it ? :p

A small round orange fruit that you can put in your sandwiches ;)

EDIT - Random router

you can quote as much crap as you like, the fact that your not going to get close to 300 speeds on 2.4 due to interference, and the limitations of the 2.4 wireless spectrum

http://transition.fcc.gov/pshs/techtopics/techtopics10.html

see where it says 2.4 is up to 144

the up to 600 is the 5GHz of N

talk to somebody OTHER then Best Buy, like a person worth their salt. your not going to get N speeds on the 2.4 band, there is just to much congestion, to much interference, and the bands are to small

All you need to do is this...

i started LoLing at the " riding on the Signal of other Networks "

you can quote as much crap as you like, the fact that your not going to get close to 300 speeds on 2.4 due to interference, and the limitations of the 2.4 wireless spectrum

http://transition.fc...chtopics10.html

see where it says 2.4 is up to 144

the up to 600 is the 5GHz of N

talk to somebody OTHER then Best Buy, like a person worth their salt. your not going to get N speeds on the 2.4 band, there is just to much congestion, to much interference, and the bands are to small

bestbuy? quoting crap ?

What you getting your knickers in a twist for?

You stated that 2.4GHz Wireless N = 54/22

You stated that 300mbps was 5GHz only and not 2.4GHz

You are wrong, just accept it, no point in backtracking with interference and congestion, nobody was even talking about actual transfer speeds, just that 2.4GHz N does connect @ 300mbps

bestbuy? quoting crap ?

What you getting your knickers in a twist for?

You stated that 2.4GHz Wireless N = 54/22

You stated that 300mbps was 5GHz only and not 2.4GHz

You are wrong, just accept it, no point in backtracking with interference and congestion, nobody was even talking about actual transfer speeds, just that 2.4GHz N does connect @ 300mbps

not backtracking, and you were debating the transfer speeds, your not going to connect @ 300mbps @ 2.4., your not goign to get close to 300 at 2.4

*Edit - to get higher then 54/22 you need multiple radio's which all N's have, that is how the N's broadcast faster then 54/22 on the 2.4 spectrum, unfortunately that is STILL not going to get you 300, or even close to it

not backtracking, and you were debating the transfer speeds, your not going to connect @ 300mbps @ 2.4., your not goign to get close to 300 at 2.4

*Edit - to get higher then 54/22 you need multiple radio's which all N's have, that is how the N's broadcast faster then 54/22 on the 2.4 spectrum, unfortunately that is STILL not going to get you 300, or even close to it

Ok, well we'll leave it in that you were talking about transfer speeds, and I was talking about connected @ speeds, I do connect @ 300mpbs on my 2.4GHz router

But even then, I have a cheap 150mbps USB wifi stick, one of those tiny stub things, it connects @ 150mbps on my 2.4GHz router and I can max out my full 76meg download speeds which is 8.9MB/s on a speedtest, so transfer speeds for just that stick alone are way higher than 54/22

Ok, well we'll leave it in that you were talking about transfer speeds, and I was talking about connected @ speeds, I do connect @ 300mpbs on my 2.4GHz router

But even then, I have a cheap 150mbps USB wifi stick, one of those tiny stub things, it connects @ 150mbps on my 2.4GHz router and I can max out my full 76meg download speeds which is 8.9MB/s on a speedtest, so transfer speeds for just that stick alone are way higher than 54/22

then you are using the 5GHZ not the 2.4

had to reconfigure my router to SHOW you because you aparently dont know WTF your router is doing. its broadcasting 2 signals, a 2.4 and a 5GHZ under the same SSID and lucky your computer/router is smart enough to switch between whichever gives better speeds, known Multicast in some instances, other Duel Band, bla bla bla. its marketing speak

My Router, check cisco's site to see how OLD that router is.

post-36462-0-66264800-1346721949.jpg

this is operating on the 2.4 spectrum notice it is Under half of your 300 on BOTH instances

post-36462-0-59102500-1346721966.jpgpost-36462-0-83370100-1346721967_thumb.j

now this is the bad part, because the 5GHZ has weaker range and it has to go through stairs, and utility closet ( Central Air Exchanger and Hot Water Heater ) the signal Sucks, same with the Speeds because of it.

BUT with only 2 bars i can get close to the same speed as a 4-5 Bar 2.4

post-36462-0-35702800-1346721970_thumb.j

*Edit - you are running on the 5GHz N part of your router, your router is more then likely broadcasting 2 networks of the same SSID and you are actually connecting on the 5GHz thinking its the 2.4

*Edit 2-

what, yoru not going to get higher Transfer speeds then your Connected speeds

then you are using the 5GHZ not the 2.4

had to reconfigure my router to SHOW you because you aparently dont know WTF your router is doing. its broadcasting 2 signals, a 2.4 and a 5GHZ under the same SSID and lucky your computer/router is smart enough to switch between whichever gives better speeds, known Multicast in some instances, other Duel Band, bla bla bla. its marketing speak

My Router, check cisco's site to see how OLD that router is.

this is operating on the 2.4 spectrum notice it is Under half of your 300 on BOTH instances

now this is the bad part, because the 5GHZ has weaker range and it has to go through stairs, and utility closet ( Central Air Exchanger and Hot Water Heater ) the signal Sucks, same with the Speeds because of it.

BUT with only 2 bars i can get close to the same speed as a 4-5 Bar 2.4

Geez, how many times do I have to say this, MY ROUTER IS ONLY 2.4GHz - WRT160NL if you really need to check, I think I know my router does not have 5GHz capability

Look at your channel width, 20Mhz only, Change that to 20/40MHz (ie channel bonding) and you`ll see that 2.4GHz is capable of 300mbps

Geez, how many times do I have to say this, MY ROUTER IS ONLY 2.4GHz - WRT160NL if you really need to check, I think I know my router does not have 5GHz capability

Look at your channel width, 20Mhz only, Change that to 20/40MHz (ie channel bonding) and you`ll see that 2.4GHz is capable of 300mbps

just did, its the exact same 144

*Edit - i can only force the 40 only on the 5GHZ

just did, its the exact same 144

*Edit - i can only force the 40 only on the 5GHZ

Do your wireless clients support 40MHz ?

Both ends have to be capable

EDIT - I have my router set to "20/40MHz Dynamic" which works fine with 2.4GHz to give the 300mbps

Do your wireless clients support 40MHz ?

Both ends have to be capable

in all intents and purposes it should if it supports the 5GHz N, but cant find any MHz listing for my adapter on desktop WUSB600N.

but i have multiple Laptops (MBP C2D from late 2006, and HP DV7-7012NR from a last month and all report the same thing )

*Edit - the only thing that would be against the adapter is i just found out its DraftN, not ratified N. the MBP i think may be draft, but the HP is Ratified

in all intents and purposes it should if it supports the 5GHz N, but cant find any MHz listing for my adapter on desktop WUSB600N.

but i have multiple Laptops (MBP C2D from late 2006, and HP DV7-7012NR from a last month and all report the same thing )

*Edit - the only thing that would be against the adapter is i just found out its DraftN, not ratified N

You might find something to help you in here

http://www.dd-wrt.co...N_Configuration

You MUST use WPA2 authentication with AES encryption only, or use no security at all if you wish to achieve N rates. Anything else is against the N spec and typically results in the client falling back to G rates.