Seriously considering making the switch.

What Mac Should I buy...  

113 members have voted

1. 1. What Mac Should I Buy?

• MacBook Pro
    • iMac 27"
    • Build a Hackintosh

Yet two of my close friends have 16 GB installed in their MacBook Pros. How very interesting. Also, you're hardly in any position to decide what others need.

Awesome so I guess that settles it then. I can add 16GB of RAM if I buy the MBP.

I am leaning towards the iMac right now and I need help with choosing the accessories as I listed above...

I have ?350-?400 to spend total on a Thunderbolt/USB 3.0 HDD, USB Headset and some decent but not Audiophile quality speakers.

Thanks for all the help guys.

One of the rumors is that the iMacs are getting new displays but that they aren't retina. It would be stupid IMO, for them to not have a retina, but rumors are rumors.

Either way, let us know what you end up getting. I'm hoping to get a MacBook pro by the end of the year and want to hear what you like and dislike about what you get.

One of the rumors is that the iMacs are getting new displays but that they aren't retina. It would be stupid IMO, for them to not have a retina, but rumors are rumors.

Either way, let us know what you end up getting. I'm hoping to get a MacBook pro by the end of the year and want to hear what you like and dislike about what you get.

I will do, I just need to get a few things for it (as i listed in my previous post) and I had one more question.

I did some googling but it didn't turn up very much. The iMacs have glossy screens and I was wondering if there was some Anti-Glare film I could but to put on the top of it or a replacement glass cover (to replace the one that comes on the iMac over the screen) that is Anti-Glare because I hate glare on my screen as my room gets a lot of sun light.

Yet two of my close friends have 16 GB installed in their MacBook Pros. How very interesting. Also, you're hardly in any position to decide what others need.

First, I said early it was 8gbs on Apple's site, but that they could support more. Second, a screenshot that shows it's been installed? Post some benchmarks showing the difference between 8gb and 16gb, otherwise I'm sticking with the recommendation that they not waste their money.

So I just had a thought, Would an iMac graphics chip be able to drive the iMac display AND a 27" Apple Thunderbolt Display as I was thinking maybe a month or 2 after buying the iMac to add a Thunderbolt Display along side the iMac on a Lowkey Stand with USB2.0 (hopefully updated to USB 3.0) or the Slimkey V2 Stand to level out the displays so they are exactly side by side.

Ok, for what it's worth, here's my 2 cents:

I have a MacBook Pro, a MacBook Pro Retina (1 week old), a MacBook Air and a 27 inch iMac.

I also have (and am typing this on) a custom built Windows 7 PC with a similarly built Windows 8 PC at work along with lots of ThinkPad laptops.

As others have no doubt said, it's really about how you plan to use it.

Operating system wise, I prefer Windows 7 to MacOS X Mountain Lion. It's a more productive environment for me when I need to get a lot of work done (if I'm working in ONE app for a long period of time, the Mac is just as good if not better because of the new full screen option in LIon/Mountain Lion).

The MacBook Pro Retina is amazing. The display is crazy good. The SSD it comes with it big and really fast. I love using it for light work (email, budgeting, schedules, Internet flame wars, etc.). However, if there was a MacBook Air with retina, I'd use that first.

I would not bother with the iMac. You'd be better off getting a Cinema Display and hooking up a MacBook Pro to it (or MacAir).

Hope this helps.

The Retina MacBook Pros are wasted in my opinion, unless of course you indeed use the laptop screen. I can't wait for proper desktop high density displays. Imagine a 24" 3840x2400 screen. One could only hope, right? :p

The Retina MacBook Pros are wasted in my opinion, unless of course you indeed use the laptop screen. I can't wait for proper desktop high density displays. Imagine a 24" 3840x2400 screen. One could only hope, right? :p

That is true. If you're not going to use the screen, get a regular MacBook Pro.

I use it as a laptop most of the time.

But if someone forced me to choose between my favorite PC and my favorite Mac, the PC would still win.

Though, I'd have a real tough time giving up my MacBook Air.

Hmm... I wonder if I can get 16GB in my mid-2009 MBP, then... hmm....

My late 2009 13-inch MacBook officially only supported 4GB but unofficially supported 8GB max (it's based on the chipset)

Ok, for what it's worth, here's my 2 cents:

I have a MacBook Pro, a MacBook Pro Retina (1 week old), a MacBook Air and a 27 inch iMac.

I also have (and am typing this on) a custom built Windows 7 PC with a similarly built Windows 8 PC at work along with lots of ThinkPad laptops.

As others have no doubt said, it's really about how you plan to use it.

Operating system wise, I prefer Windows 7 to MacOS X Mountain Lion. It's a more productive environment for me when I need to get a lot of work done (if I'm working in ONE app for a long period of time, the Mac is just as good if not better because of the new full screen option in LIon/Mountain Lion).

The MacBook Pro Retina is amazing. The display is crazy good. The SSD it comes with it big and really fast. I love using it for light work (email, budgeting, schedules, Internet flame wars, etc.). However, if there was a MacBook Air with retina, I'd use that first.

I would not bother with the iMac. You'd be better off getting a Cinema Display and hooking up a MacBook Pro to it (or MacAir).

Hope this helps.

Ok but if portability isn't a factor so it seems stupid to get a laptop as it will be permanently stuck on a desk. And if I was to buy the MBP, then buying an apple display is way out of budget and I would be stuck with my 1920x1080 screen, and one of the attractive points for me anyway about the iMac is the 27" screen.

Imagine a Retina 27" Screen : O.

Get the iMac, can't beat the screen space for the price of the other Macs and the gestures is a plus over Windows.

408632268.png

Get the iMac, can't beat the screen space for the price of the other Macs and the gestures is a plus over Windows.

That is one of the reasons I am considering it. What I want to do is after a few months buy an Apple Thunderbolt Display so I have 2x 27" screens, but I am just waiting for the Refresh at this point to see what the new Specs will be.

Anyone know of any good External Thunderbolt / USB 3.0 Drives I can use for Time Machine and Storage?

That is one of the reasons I am considering it. What I want to do is after a few months buy an Apple Thunderbolt Display so I have 2x 27" screens, but I am just waiting for the Refresh at this point to see what the new Specs will be.

Anyone know of any good External Thunderbolt / USB 3.0 Drives I can use for Time Machine and Storage?

1. Got a list here for your location, WD is a good brand in my opinion. http://www.amazon.co...+3.%2Caps%2C439

1. Got a list here for your location, WD is a good brand in my opinion. http://www.amazon.co...+3.%2Caps%2C439

Awesome, thanks.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Book-Essential-External-Hard-Drive/dp/B0047VJ428/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1347215595&sr=8-3This looks like a good one, think I will go with this and Partition off 1TB to use for Time Machine. Which is a good point, Can time machine be used with a Partition or does it have to be an Entire drive?

First, I said early it was 8gbs on Apple's site, but that they could support more. Second, a screenshot that shows it's been installed? Post some benchmarks showing the difference between 8gb and 16gb, otherwise I'm sticking with the recommendation that they not waste their money.

Go find those benchmarks yourself. I'm guessing Google works just as well over at your place. Fact is you can install 16 GB in the current MacBook Pro, something you disputed altogether in your previous post.

MBP! I am not reading and responses but I would be willing to bet someone has already said "do not get the iMac, no upgradability" - which would be correct.

And the MacBook Pro is a shining example of upgradability?

Go find those benchmarks yourself. I'm guessing Google works just as well over at your place. Fact is you can install 16 GB in the current MacBook Pro, something you disputed altogether in your previous post.

It does, they don't exist. Thanks for the help.

MBP! I am not reading and responses but I would be willing to bet someone has already said "do not get the iMac, no upgradability" - which would be correct.

And what can you upgrade in a MBP... The Hard Drive and RAM, I could if I really wanted to do that with an iMac as well. To me an iMac is just a Macbook Pro on a stick pretty much with a 27" beautiful screen.

First off what kind of editing are you talking about? And why are you so set on using OSX? I edit for a living and Im doing fine with my PC. There is nothing you cant do on a PC. Especially when it comes to editing.

What software are you planning on running?

I currently edit on a PC and when I had the Mac Mini for a while I did some Editing on Final Cut Pro and you know what I loved it, I currently use Sony Vegas at work but my god I hate that program and I have tried the Adobe one as well. Also I like how OS X looks, Runs, and just the general feel of the operating system.

And I am going to say this one more time. I am not looking for a WINDOWS PC (So please stop telling me to buy one because I have my mind made up on a Mac) I want to get a Mac for Mac OS X Mountain Lion as I prefer it a whole lot more than I do windows 7 OR 8.

and Yeah its true for the ?2,500 I am going to be spending I could build a high end LGA 2011 system with a Decent SSD and a bunch of storage but I don't want to do that.