Nokia's new PureView ad is amazing, too bad it's faked

BajiRav

This is dumb. In video Nokia show's the guy using the phone to record and then they shoot with something else ? and they apologise since they were caught ?

What if they were not caught, theywould have impressed lot of people on a lie.

I already see a lot of people will try to emulate this same thing on their Lumia phone when it is out and the video will be a fail and will be all over youtube and Social network.

mean while someone at Samsung is having a good laugh~

To play Devi's advocate, never once in the original post did they say that the video was shot using 920. They only said OIS (even before the "correction" and apology).

I guess people at the verge needed a reason to hate on Nokia/WP and they found one.

Lee G.

Threads merged.

Calum

This is dumb. In video Nokia show's the guy using the phone to record and then they shoot with something else ? and they apologise since they were caught ?

What if they were not caught, theywould have impressed lot of people on a lie.

I already see a lot of people will try to emulate this same thing on their Lumia phone when it is out and the video will be a fail and will be all over youtube and Social network.

mean while someone at Samsung is having a good laugh~

Such an advert would have been very hard to shoot correctly. They could have had the guy in the van using a Lumia 920, but that still wouldn't have been "real" because he was in a van, not on a bike. As it stands, it would have been very dangerous for them to make an advert in which someone was riding on a bike, one-handed, with no helmet, not looking in front of him, recording a video of the girl next to him on his smartphone.

I would have thought anyone would have understood that. If what they simulate is an accurate representation, what's the problem?

MikeChipshop

Breaking news: Advertising agency used camera crew to film advert!

This is how ads are made, not to mention the ad doesn't state it wash shot with the 920 anyway.

I would have thought anyone would have understood that. If what they simulate is an accurate representation, what's the problem?

^^^ total sense.

George P

Honestly guys, there are enough hands on with the 920 already and videos up on youtube from said hands-on that we can get a very good idea of the abilities of the camera tech. I honestly have no doubt about it's abilities and for me it's a clear winner. Anyone who goes into a retail shop in the future and sees it first hand compared to the current phone or another phone will be blown away.

Seeing how crazy most consumers are about taking pictures this is going to be a huge selling point for the 920, and if the sales people at the carriers do their jobs it'll be a easy sell as well.

Manish

Such an advert would have been very hard to shoot correctly.

They could've just shot a different scenario; one that did use a Lumia 920 and wasn't dangerous either.

If what they simulate is an accurate representation, what's the problem?

It's an accurate representation of optical image stabilisation (OIS), but it's difficult to say whether or not it's an accurate representation of the Lumia 920's OIS capabilities. Based on the demo videos of the Lumia 920, indeed it appears to have a camera that bests its competitors considerably. However, I doubt that it's capable of the OIS shown in the video and actually shot by a professional DSLR. That to me, is not an accurate representation.

Yes, they never said that the ad was shot with a 920. But having that video in the context of their Lumia announcements implied that the image stabilisation in this video was PureView technology, especially when Nokia's Executive VP was holding the phone out to the press and talking about PureView with that video playing in the background. That to me, is misleading.

Regardless, I'm glad that they've actually done something about this and issued an apology for causing any possible confusion.

Calum

They could've just shot a different scenario; one that did use a Lumia 920 and wasn't dangerous either.

[. . .]

Oh I definitely agree. That was my thought, too. When I first saw the video, I was actually concerned that it's promoting such dangerous riding.

[. . .]

It's an accurate representation of optical image stabilisation, but it's difficult to say whether or not it's an accurate representation of image stabilisation by the Lumia 920. Based on the demo videos of the Lumia 920, indeed it appears to have a camera that bests its competitors. However, I doubt that it's capable of the OIS shown in the video and shot by a professional DSLR. That to me, is not an accurate representation.

Yes, they never said that the ad was shot with a 920. But having that video in the context of their Lumia announcements implied that the image stabilisation in this video was PureView technology, especially when Nokia's Executive VP was holding the phone out to the press and talking about PureView with that video playing in the background. That to me, seems deceiving and misleading.

Regardless, I'm glad that they've actually done something about this and issued an apology for causing any possible confusion.

I was talking about if it was accurate of what the Lumia 920 is capable of, not just if it was accurate OIS :) If it's accurate of the Lumia 920's capabilities, I don't see a problem, other than that it is promoting dangerous riding.

Manish

If it's accurate of the Lumia 920's capabilities, I don't see a problem

I wouldn't have a problem with that either, I'd be more impressed than I already am with the 920's hardware. However, I doubt that its PureView OIS is that good. In that ad, both the person shooting the video and the subject of the video were moving relatively quickly. Current demos showcased decent, steady videos but shot with minimal movement involved. To be fair, that level of stabilisation is enough for me anyway; I don't intend to take videos while biking, driving, etc.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Jay Bonggolto
      Nokia 8.3 5G is going for a $120 discount on Amazon
      by Jay Bonggolto

Amazon is offering the Nokia 8.3 5G with a $120 discount right now. The phone is going for $579, down from its original retail price of $699.

For that price, you'll get 8GB of RAM and 128GB of internal storage. The device comes in Polar Night and it is unlocked for all carriers.

Announced in March of last year alongside the Nokia 5.3 and Nokia 1.3, the Nokia 8.3 5G was the first device to use Qualcomm's 5G RF Front end module. It's powered by a Snapdragon 765 SoC and sports a 6.81-inch FullHD+ PureDisplay.

On its back, it has a PureView quad-camera setup with a 64MP main sensor and ZEISS branding. The camera module is housed in a circular bump with Nokia's logo to its south. It's backed up by a 4,500mAh battery.

The device was launched in the U.S. in the fall of 2020 a few months after its debut in Europe, where it is available with 6GB of RAM and 64GB of storage in addition to the higher memory configuration. If you want to snap up the phone today, the Nokia 8.3 5G is available to purchase for $579 via Amazon.

As an Amazon Associate, Neowin may earn commission from qualifying purchases.

• By indospot
      Nokia 5.4 is HMD's latest mid-ranger, packing a Snapdragon 662 for €189
      by João Carrasqueira

After introducing the entry-level Nokia C1 Plus just yesterday, HMD Global is now back with a new mid-range model, the Nokia 5.4. The Finnish company has been refreshing some of its smartphones multiple times throughout the year, with the Nokia 5.3 announced just a few months ago.

The Nokia 5.4 curiously packs a Qualcomm Snapdragon 662 chipset, which is an apparent downgrade from the Snapdragon 665 of its predecessor. Based on Qualcomm's spec sheet, though, the Snapdragon 662 does have a better image signal processor, promising zero shutter lag and support for 48MP cameras.

That's exactly what HMD is promising for the Nokia 5.4, which is likely to be an advantage for most users. There's also support for 60FPS recording, as well as a 24FPS cinematic mode, which can record video in the typical 21:9 format of theater movies, plus "professional color grading". The rest of the camera setup includes a 5MP ultra-wide camera, a 2MP depth sensor, and a 2MP macro camera. Over on the front, there's a 16MP camera.

The 6.53-inch display comes in at HD+ resolution in the 19.5:9 aspect ratio, and it has a punch-hole front-facing camera. The Nokia 5.4 also has a 4,000mAh battery, which HMD says should last up to two days on a charge or, as the company puts it, 42 commutes (assuming an average 67-minute commute). The battery only charges at 10W, however. In terms of software, the phone is running Android 11, and as usual, the company promises two years of major software updates and three years of security updates.

The Nokia 5.4 is available now in select markets for €189. It comes with Polar Night (blue) and Dusk (pink) colors.

• By zikalify
      Nokia announces affordable Nokia C1 Plus for €69
      by Paul Hill

Nokia has announced its lowest cost 4G smartphone, the C1 Plus. For the low €69 cost, users get a 2,500mAh battery, 4G, and a large, crisp HD+ screen. The device is ideal for those on a budget want a modern Android experience, free of bloatware.

The specifications for the new device are as follows:

Operating system: Android 10 (Go edition) RAM: 1GB DDR3 CPU: Quad-Core 1.4GHz SIM card: Dual and Single SIM models available, Nano SIM Sensors: Ambient light sensor, Proximity sensor, Accelerometer (G-sensor) Rear camera: 5MP with flash Front camera: 5MP with flash Battery: 2,500 mAh, removable Storage: 16GB, MicroSD card slot supports up to 128GB Display: 5.45” HD+ in-cell, 18:9 Connectors: 3.5mm headphone jack, Micro USB charging Connectivity: Bluetooth 4.2, GPS/AGPS, Wifi 802.11 b/g/n The Nokia C1 Plus comes with a solid polycarbonate body that the Finnish firm says makes the device more durable. To further boost the security and convenience of the device, users can enable face unlock which lets you get past the lock screen just by letting the phone see your face. As the device ships with Android 10 (Go edition), there is more space reserved for your content but you’ll still probably want to be careful as 16GB of storage is not very much.

Commenting on the new product, Juho Sarvikas, Chief Product Officer and Vice President of North America, HMD Global, said:

The device isn’t available to purchase just yet but will go on sale at some point this month and will be available in just two colours; red and blue. Nokia didn’t mention whether it'll provide further OS updates for this device as it does with some of its others but it’s probably a lower priority than their more expensive products.

• By zikalify
      Nokia to lead EU's 6G research project Hexa-X
      by Paul Hill

Nokia has announced that it has been selected as the project leader for Hexa-X, the European Union’s main 6G research project. 6G is probably about a decade away from commercial availability but the creation of Hexa-X is a big step towards that end.

Nokia and the rest of the Hexa-X consortium, which includes Ericsson, have identified six research challenges that need to be addressed to create the technical foundation of 6G, they include:

The Hexa-X project was awarded funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation program and has been described by Nokia as a “significant step toward bringing together key industry stakeholders in Europe to take the lead in advancing 6G.” The new project is expected to begin its work on January 1, 2021, and will run until the middle of 2023.

In addition to Hexa-X, Nokia is also involved with other European 6G research projects such as 6Genesis and Horizon Europe Smart Networks and Services. The latter project is very important for the EU as it will help the bloc get ahead with regards to the development and deployment of 6G networks.

• By zikalify
      Nokia research says 5G is 90% more energy-efficient than 4G
      by Paul Hill

A new study conducted by Nokia and Telefonica has found that 5G networks are up to 90% more efficient than 4G networks. The findings were the result of a three-month study which looked at the power consumption of the Radio Access Network (RAN) in Telefonica’s network.

The two firms were keen to highlight that although 5G networks will dramatically increase network traffic, it will not lead to a rise in energy consumption at the same rate, which they say shows their commitment to climate change.

Despite the positive results, Nokia admits that 5G networks still require further action to make them more energy-efficient and to reduce their CO2 emissions. It said existing energy-saving features at the radio base station and network levels like 5G power-saving features, small cell deployments, and new 5G architecture and protocols can “significantly improve” energy efficiency of wireless networks when they’re combined.

The study used solutions from Nokia’s AirScale portfolio including AirScale Base Stations and AirScale Massive MIMO Active Antenna solutions. Commenting on the hardware and study President of Mobile Networks at Nokia Tommi Uitto said:

Both of the firms say they’re committed to limiting global warming to 1.5C. Nokia, in particular, said that it will be decreasing its emissions from its operations by 41% by 2030 and that it has helped customers who modernised their base stations to use 46% less energy. Last year, the firm said that it delivered zero-emission products to over 150 customers worldwide; this should help cut a lot of CO2 emissions that would have otherwise been produced.