Thoughts: Windows 8 should have eliminated the legacy right click menu.

Also, I just have to say this, before I get anymore spam about people and giant screens: You already have a giant screen, and the bigger you buy, the more your cursor movement increases, regardless of how little you say you move it, and regardless of what OS you run. And with today's mice, it's possible to traverse a screen in little time regardless of size. So, no, don't complain about bigger screens and bigger resolutions. It's not the OS's fault for wanting to move past this design flaw.

In windows 7, when some item is selected, the bar on top below the address bar is populated with context specific buttons. I am not sure it it has been removed in windows 8 or not but that serves this purpose and the buttons are quite big and touch friendly. What it doesn't do is remove the commands on top from the context and that is not something they should do. If it would have missing commands, it would not be a proper "context menu"..

I'm not removing it, just moving it.

Having it off to the side cleans up the UI, IMO, better utilizes space, and further integrates Metro into the desktop. Plus it would make it more device friendly, since touch users are still forced onto the desktop in certain scenarios.

http://www.synaptics...nology/windows8

How does moving the right click menu that takes up way less than 1/10 my screen and is invisible until you invoke it to the side of the screen where it's also invisible but then would take about 1/5 the screen when invoked "clean up the UI"? All the while making it inconvenient to access? That makes absolutely no sense.

I understand you like Windows 8 and that's fine, but please stop making things up to suit your nonsensical arguments.

As explained by Dot Matrix, those kind of options (all of the options for 7-Zip currently in the right-click menu) should be in the Settings Charm.

So instead of right-clicking a file and selecting Extract, how would that be done? Or "Open With"? Run As Administrator?

So instead of right-clicking a file and selecting Extract, how would that be done???Or "Open With"???Run As Administrator?

You probably will right-click a file to "select" it, then, while it's selected, you can move your mouse to the top corner to open up the charms bar, then move it down to the settings charm, click it, then move it up to click the 7-zip menu. Then you can finally select the "extract" option, which will open up a fullscreen extraction window where the confirm button is on the left side of the screen. This is the future that Dot Matrix is wanting.

• Like 4

So instead of right-clicking a file and selecting Extract, how would that be done? Or "Open With"? Run As Administrator?

Here I was thinking that the slide out menu would appear with the right click. There you'll ha e your options.

You probably will right-click a file to "select" it, then, while it's selected, you can move your mouse to the top corner to open up the charms bar, then move it down to the settings charm, click it, then move it up to click the 7-zip menu. Then you can finally select the "extract" option, which will open up a fullscreen extraction window where the confirm button is on the left side of the screen. This is the future that Dot Matrix is wanting.

Your making it way too complicated. The slide out menu with context sensitive options would appear with the right click - exactly like it does now. Sheesh.

Yoiu said it should be in the settings charm a few pages back. I listed the steps required to open the settings charm. Since you changed your mind and think that the "app-bar" is a better place, I was considerate enough to provide an alternate scenario.

You probably will right-click a file to "select" it, then, while it's selected, you can move your mouse to the slide-out bar on the bottom of the screen(btw, it's >14'' away from your mouse pointer), then click the "extract" option, which will open up a fullscreen extraction window where the confirm button is near the top of the screen(oh cool, I can move my mouse across the screen again). This is the future that Dot Matrix is wanting.

Interesting concept...I personally like the idea BUT tend to agree with those that have shell extensions (some more than most) that it may become cumbersome. I only have 3 that I use frequently but would miss them - maybe Apple's "click and hold" idea would work to get into a contextual menu.

I also agree with the OPs retort that cursor speed to reduce movement and time across the screen can aid in transitioning to the Charms bar...

...so torn but love the concept Dot.

Yoiu said it should be in the settings charm a few pages back. I listed the steps required to open the settings charm. Since you changed your mind and think that the "app-bar" is a better place, I was considerate enough to provide an alternate scenario.

You probably will right-click a file to "select" it, then, while it's selected, you can move your mouse to the slide-out bar on the bottom of the screen(btw, it's >14'' away from your mouse pointer), then click the "extract" option, which will open up a fullscreen extraction window where the confirm button is near the top of the screen(oh cool, I can move my mouse across the screen again). This is the future that Dot Matrix is wanting.

Yes, I did. The options would be listed there. Basically, the right click would be emulating a Win+I keypress. But right clicking an object would trigger a context sensitive slideout, that would list the actions a user can make.

Interesting concept...I personally like the idea BUT tend to agree with those that have shell extensions (some more than most) that it may become cumbersome. I only have 3 that I use frequently but would miss them - maybe Apple's "click and hold" idea would work to get into a contextual menu.

I also agree with the OPs retort that cursor speed to reduce movement and time across the screen can aid in transitioning to the Charms bar...

...so torn but love the concept Dot.

Thanks. I appreciate the feedback.

Yes, I did. There could be options listed there. But right clicking an object would trigger a context sensitive slideout, that would list the actions a user can make. I do not mean having to go into Settings each time.

That's not the point. The point is, no matter how you spin it, your metroized vision of the future is inefficient, slow, and hard to use.

post-457571-0-68299400-1348249417_thumb.

That's not the point. The point is, no matter how you spin it, your metroized vision of the future is inefficient, slow, and hard to use.

I should have been more clearer. Go back and re-read my post:

Yes, I did. The options would be listed there. Basically, the right click would be emulating a Win+I keypress. But right clicking an object would trigger a context sensitive slideout, that would list the actions a user can make.

It's not inefficient. It would be the same right click menu, only moved to the slide out menus found in Windows 8. It would act the same way it does now. The only difference being is now the menu is accessible to people on different devices without having to raise the desktop DPI to make it more touch friendly, and it further unifies the OS.

I should have been more clearer. Go back and re-read my post.

I should have been clearer. Go back and check out my post.

I should have been clearer. Go back and check out my post.

What are you trying to say? Again, cursor travel be damned. If someone wants to own a ginormous monitor, they should be able to deal with the consequences, and be fully aware that cursor travel increases no matter what. You wanted a huge monitor, now it's time to deal with it. It's not an excuse. There are ways to decrease your cursors travel time. Jack up your tracking for starters.

What are you trying to say? Again, cursor travel be damned. If someone wants to own a ginormous monitor, they should be fully aware that cursor travel increases no matter what. It's not an excuse. There are ways to decrease your cursors travel time. Jack up your tracking for starters.

What the heck are you trying to say. It's worse. Period. Your solution is worse for EVERYONE with a mouse. No matter the size of the screen. It's worse. No matter the tracking speed. It's still worse. No matter whether my mouse is a $100 gaming mouse with extra high twitch speeds or some crappy dell mouse. It's worse.

• Like 1

What the heck are you trying to say. It's worse. Period. Your solution is worse for EVERYONE with a mouse. No matter the size of the screen. It's worse. No matter the tracking speed. It's still worse. No matter whether my mouse is a $100 gaming mouse with extra high twitch speeds or some crappy dell mouse. It's worse.

Again, there is nothing "worse" happening here. The slide-outs would have the same functionality, they're just off to the side of whatever screen you click on (If you run more than 1). You're just that against Windows 8 that I think you're arguing for the sake of arguing. You're making it out to be more than what I was conceptualizing.

You've taken your love of Windows 8 way to far on this one.

Maybe. But since Windows 8 is introducing these changes, what do you guys think Windows 9 will be like? They're certainly not going backwards to Windows 7 again.

Again, there is nothing "worse" happening here. The slide-outs would have the same functionality, they're just off to the side of whatever screen you click on (If you run more than 1). You're just that against Windows 8 that I think you're arguing for the sake of arguing.

How hard is it to get though your thick skull that more mouse travel is worse. This is not something you can just ignore. Can you understand that having to move the mouse 14'' instead of .4'' is worse? It's not that hard of a concept. Move mouse farther. Job much harder.

How hard is it to get though your thick skull that more mouse travel is worse. This is not something you can just ignore. Can you understand that having to move the mouse 14'' instead of .4'' is worse? It's not that hard of a concept. Move mouse farther. Job much harder.

It's not an excuse. You want a bigger monitor with a bigger resolution? Than deal with it. No matter what OS you use, you're going to have increased travel time.

Case and point: In Windows 7, you close and app, and drag your cursor back down to the taskbar/Start Menu. Or you simply move around an open app. Etc.... I guess that makes Windows 7 a broken OS now.

It's not an excuse. You want a bigger monitor with a bigger resolution? Than deal with it. No matter what OS you use, you're going to have increased travel time.

Move mouse farther. Job much harder. Applies for ANY screen size. It's just as true on my 10'' as it is on my 30''. More travel time is bad. More travel time is ALWAYS bad. More travel time is ALWAYS NOT good. More travel time is bad in small screens. More travel time is bad in medium screens. More travel time is bad in large screens.

• Like 3