Windows 8 Start Menu Modifier

I've never played with manipulating Windows before, but is it at all possible to change the DPI a Window renders at? The start screen chooses how many rows / columns is has based on your resolution & physical screen size, so I was trying to think of ways to get around that and let you add more / less rows & columns regardless.

Thank you so, so much! You have no idea what you have done...

EDIT:

One more request if I may... is there a way to also change the height for the fullscreen metro apps in the same way as you have done with the start screen?

Thanks

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to say great job with this program it's just what I was looking for.

It does not seem to be saving my settings when I restart.. I always have to apply them again. Any ideas how to get my settings to stay when I reboot?

The latest update can be found here - http://www.diablocra...Modifier1.2.zip

Features:

* "Fill screen, show taskbar" added as a position

* Ability to close app after settings are applied on startup

* Alternatively, you can use the -close param as a launch argument to have the app close automatically after settings are applied

Bug fixes:

* Task tray icon now closes gracefully with the app

* App now applies config at startup

I was about to start typing a message bitching about people who complain about the start menu but this is pretty darned cool. Gonna check it out...

• 2 weeks later...

svnO.o,

thanks for the app, but can you please edit the first post to always include the newest version?

thanks again!

I would but the posts in this forum are non-editable for whatever reason. I appreciate the feedback.

I love how all the apps I am seeing right now for Windows 8 are Start menu apps.

Some people see going backwards as progression.

• 2 weeks later...

This is great. Now for my biggest annoyance; which is the fact that the Start Screen disappears every time I go to a monitor that has the Desktop UI. Think you can find a way of pinning it to a screen so it does not disappear every time you engage a monitor that has the desktop UI. There has been a lot of discussion concerning this issue on the MS forums of late and it looks like you may be close to solution here.

Great work so far!

Thanks

mrw

• 3 weeks later...

just wondering. how do u stop this thing from working? just, "pre-opening this file" state, not changing its settings to make it look like its not there er anything. lol I couldn't figure it out :p

sry for the criticism:

I like this a lot! but id rather wait til everything possible can get customized (the background image, opacity of tiles, opacity of the start screen itself, custom solid colored tiles, naming tiles, tiles stack in a more customizable way). im lovin the taskbar combo! the tiles are different, but still stuck on an annoying grid. the dock is sweet (although I was hoping that when I went to 200px that maybe id cut off the 'Start' and 'Account Name' out, but it wiped the tiles lol). I really enjoy it, its just not full-fledged yet.

I just realized.... is this thing not 3rd party? this is just utilizing the tools windows hides?

It's 3rd party. It's using the win32 api to manipulate the start screen.

It's 3rd party. It's using the win32 api to manipulate the start screen.

Which is interesting because it makes you wonder what types of changes we might get later on, either from MS listening to users or from tools like this.

Thank you for this nice app! I just encountered a small glitch, when it's started via Launchy (64-bit), I always get the following unhandled exception:

************** Exception Text **************
System.InvalidOperationException: Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object.
at SMModifier.frmSMModifier.Taskbar..ctor()
at SMModifier.frmSMModifier.applyConfig(Boolean resetConfig)
at SMModifier.frmSMModifier.getSettings(Int32 primaryMonitor)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
[/CODE]

I'm admittedly being quite dumb but what does this do exactly? I couldn't figure it out from the screenshots. Is this basically using the new style Start Screen like the legacy Start Menu?

• 2 weeks later...

Despite this useful program is intended to be for both x86 and x64 versions of Windows 8, it doesn't run for the 32 bit versions of Windows.

Is it possible to fix it?

Thanks