BBC News: Apple's iPhone launches no longer excite

iPhone launches have never been exciting.

It was the iOS/iPhone launches that give the excitement. Seeing the new features of the next iOS combined with the next bit of hardware to run it on.

We know what iOS is running and what it can do. Now all we have to wait for is a picture of the next iPhone.

Which will most likely have:

Better process and graphics chip

Maybe some extra memory

Better camera rear & front

Bigger screen judging by reports.

I've been hoping the design would be a lot different from the current iPhone 4/4s. going to be so disappointed if its the same.

So for the nokia Lumia 920 is kicking its ass. That's coming from someone who has been an iPhone user from the very beginning.

We already know what the next iPhone is going to look like. It is:

• Taller
  • back panel is matt/brushed effect in the middle
  • Small connector
  • Earphone jack moved(i think)

And more than likely same GUI. FUKKK YEAAH APPLE! Way to compete lol

Being realistic here, the iPhone 5 will be Apple's best selling iPhone yet and the Lumia range and any Windows Phone 8 device will worm around. Android will be Android.

A lot of customers who are on contracts will be nearing their upgrade/expiry and just upgrade to the new iPhone.

No one knows marketing like Apple. Joe consumer will wet their pants. A few tech savvies will move to Android, some to Windows Phone, the rest will shrug and end up with a new iPhone 5 :p

Anyone with an older iPhone who are wanting to upgrade, will get a new iPhone, because it's their Toyota Camry. They know how to use it, they feel safe with it and it's reliable.

However, I'm more than happy to be proven wrong here and eat my own pants.

Its going to be a big disappointment and the stocks are going to go down if this leaked design of a streched iphone4 is the real iPhone 5.

I might be going to Lumia or the new Samsung ATIV that is making me real curiosity. Apple will go down alot if the rumors are correct.

And if they can surprise with a different design then this will be a major victory in all fronts to them (Apple) i will pull my hat out and clap my hands for the brilliancy of this.

It would be amazing if apple released something completely different today and all the leaks were just to throw everyone off course! I would defo be impressed if that happened

I'm really on the fence with the rumors I've heard. Underwhelming design, no nfc now, a bit bigger screen, and a new port that'll make me replace my other 5 cables (one for car, one for other car, one for pc, one for wall charger, one backup).

If Windows Phone had a better app market (i know, I know, it's growing daily) then I'd be all over the 920... I also am concerned about updates via Microsoft. I don't want to have to depend on my carrier to send them out. The one thing that apple HAS done right are updates. Most iPhones go through at least two years of updates before getting left out. The 3GS has gone through more than that and will also get iOS6.

Android is Android... extremely mixed results due to the massive amount of phones running it and feedback from friends is hit and miss. The iPhone on the other hand... it works fine, but meh... it's boring.

I also am concerned about updates via Microsoft. I don't want to have to depend on my carrier to send them out.

You won't have to worry about updates once WP8 comes out because enthusiasts will be able to register with MS to receive updates as soon as they're available, thus bypassing the carriers altogether. This should help those AT&T customers who seemed to have so much trouble getting updates but won't make much difference to the rest of the world as we always received updates in a timely fashion.

Back on topic, I've always found the iPhone underwhelming so it's good to see that the rest of the world is finally catching up :laugh:

• 1 month later...

If you say so. :laugh:

This was bound to happen after the FIFTH revision of the same phone. That said, Apple is still sitting on top of one of the best supply chains in the industry, and they have the software to match.

Well, my intuition didn't disappoint and I've just closed my short at $595 after opening the position at $698 soon after I made that comment!

$$$PROFIT$$$ Love you, Apple, big time! haha

The problem with Apple is they are so focused on selling products and getting market share, that they have lost the need to improve/innovate on the iOS platform. Here we have Android/WP making huge strides in actually innovating new features, while Apple just sits around with not much improvement in any department. Apple is just milking the iOS products based on brand name.