Internet Explorer 10 not showing its Jump List.

This started happening a few days ago, not sure what might have caused it, is there a setting to enable/disable this somewhere? any help would be appreciated.

post-2344-0-96858200-1347489335.png

Right-click on an empty section of the taskbar.

Click Properties

Click on Jump Lists tab

Check to see if both the items in the Privacy section are checked.

If they are not then check them both, and hit Apply then OK to close the window.

If they are already checked then you may need to follow the instructions on this website:

http://www.mydigitallife.info/fix-windows-7-jump-lists-missing-or-does-not-display-recent-items-or-pinned-files/

Thanks Shane Nokes, for some reason neither of those tricks worked for me, I just recovered my PC with to a back up from a couple of days ago using True Image and it's all back to normal, not sure what caused it.

Thanks Shane Nokes, for some reason neither of those tricks worked for me, I just recovered my PC with to a back up from a couple of days ago using True Image and it's all back to normal, not sure what caused it.

Weird. Sorry those didn't work for you. Sounds like a new cause of the issue then...

Just curious...what has changed in the last couple days as regards items installed? I'm wondering if a third-party tool might not have been the root cause.

Just curious...what has changed in the last couple days as regards items installed? I'm wondering if a third-party tool might not have been the root cause.

It was specifically related to IE10, all other jump lists were working normally, nothing else was broken and it happened after I installed a new version of RoboForm Pro, when installing I didn't realiaze Internet Explorer was open, the program asked me to close it to continue the installation, I did but then everything just froze and I ended up with a blue screen (first one I see in Windows 8) after that the problem with the jump list started.

It was specifically related to IE10, all other jump lists were working normally, nothing else was broken and it happened after I installed a new version of RoboForm Pro, when installing I didn't realiaze Internet Explorer was open, the program asked me to close it to continue the installation, I did but then everything just froze and I ended up with a blue screen (first one I see in Windows 8) after that the problem with the jump list started.

That might have been it. I hate to ask, but do you mind trying to repro really quick (when you have time, and have made a fresh backup so you don't lose anything) to see if it happens again if you do that exact same thing? If so it might be something to point out the RoboForm & Windows folks. That way they can investigate if it's something RoboForm specific or if it's something that MS can work on to help avoid this issue. :)

That might have been it. I hate to ask, but do you mind trying to repro really quick (when you have time, and have made a fresh backup so you don't lose anything) to see if it happens again if you do that exact same thing? If so it might be something to point out the RoboForm & Windows folks. That way they can investigate if it's something RoboForm specific or if it's something that MS can work on to help avoid this issue. :)

Actually I was able to identify the problem, it was a Microsoft Office 2013 update, today I was offered the update again ( it had been removed as I recovered my PC remember :)) and immediately after getting the update the Internet Explorer Jump List disappeared, so obviously a problem with this update, not getting it again :)

I'm also noticing the jump list disappearing and I don't recall Office 2013 installing any updates. I have the MSI-based version of Office 2013, not the streaming Office 365. Checked my recently installed updates for Windows and the last one was KB2751352.

I'm also noticing the jump list disappearing and I don't recall Office 2013 installing any updates. I have the MSI-based version of Office 2013, not the streaming Office 365. Checked my recently installed updates for Windows and the last one was KB2751352.

Hmmmm for me the update to Office 2013 was definately the cause, I had almost forgot about the update though, cause it was kind of silent, just a little Office windows pops up telling you there's an update, you accept and then that's it, it didn't even reboot the PC, are you sure you did not get these update?.

Hmmmm for me the update to Office 2013 was definately the cause, I had almost forgot about the update though, cause it was kind of silent, just a little Office windows pops up telling you there's an update, you accept and then that's it, it didn't even reboot the PC, are you sure you did not get these update?.

I don't recall seeing that at all. If someone could point me to a log of installed Office 2013 updates that would be great.

I don't recall seeing that at all. If someone could point me to a log of installed Office 2013 updates that would be great.

Ok, today I was offered the update that messes up the Jump Lists for me, here's a screenshot, of course I did not accept it, not sure if this will help, try and see if your version of Office is already on that build number, if it is, it means you already got the update at some point or are automatically accepting updates without notifying you.

post-2344-0-47790800-1348006851.png

Ok, today I was offered the update that messes up the Jump Lists for me, here's a screenshot, of course I did not accept it, not sure if this will help, try and see if your version of Office is already on that build number, if it is, it means you already got the update at some point or are automatically accepting updates without notifying you.

Hmm. Word 2013 reports the version of Office 2013 is 15.0.4128.1014.

Denis, in that case did you try the instructions that I provided earlier to see if that fixes your case?

If it doesn't would you be averse to uninstalling the Office 2013 Preview temporarily to see if the problem is solved by removing it?

If removing Office fixes it (after trying the earlier fixed I linked to) I'd also recommend you ping Brandon Live, since he might be able to forward this onto the right person to look at a fix...if they haven't already noticed the behavior themselves internally.

Removing Office Preview did not fix it for me, I had to recover the PC from a previous back up, I have also PMed Brandom Live, but so far no answer from him :( I gonna see if there's another way to report this issue, there must be options to report bugs in the preview I'm guessing :)

Hmm. I don't work with Brandon at all, so not sure if it's normal for him to reply to PM's on here or not.

I do know there is a 'smiley face' button in Office 2013 that you can click and select the frown, and that should pop up the ability to file feedback.

Denis, in that case did you try the instructions that I provided earlier to see if that fixes your case?

I tried deleting the jumplist files but it made no difference with IE. (It did however temporarily take out Explorer's jumplist, as expected.) The settings in taskbar properties are both ticked.

I'll try uninstalling Office 2013 in a bit - may also reinstall the click-to-run Office 365 instead of the MSI build.

I tried deleting the jumplist files but it made no difference with IE. (It did however temporarily take out Explorer's jumplist, as expected.) The settings in taskbar properties are both ticked.

I'll try uninstalling Office 2013 in a bit - may also reinstall the click-to-run Office 365 instead of the MSI build.

Hmm definitely sounds like you're getting bit by the same bug then, but with a different build...that's odd.

Hmm definitely sounds like you're getting bit by the same bug then, but with a different build...that's odd.

I've tried uninstalling Office 2013 and the jumplist's not there. :/ Also tried a restart in case that was it, but no luck.

I also realized that updates aren't available for the Office 2013 MSI version. The button to control updates appears in the Office 365 preview but not 2013. :huh:

I also realized that updates aren't available for the Office 2013 MSI version. The button to control updates appears in the Office 365 preview but not 2013. :huh:

Huh...that's weird. I haven't had much of a chance to play with Office 2013 yet. :(

Not sure if this matters much, but the jumplists created by pinning sites (like Neowin) to the taskbar - those jumplists work.

Also, IE9 and IE10's recent items jumplist is stored as 28c8b86deab549a1.automaticDestinations-ms. Tried deleting that and rebooting, but IE refuses to recreate the file. However, if you try pinning a site to the jumplist, the file will reappear.

• 2 weeks later...

Somehow the jumplist fixed itself. :s

However I think it might have to do with the fact I cleared IE's history, so if your IE jumplist is also broken give that a shot.