Network Trouble

I have two computers I need to hook up on a network. The situation goes as follows. I'm opening up a business and one computer will be the register and the other will be in the office. The one in the office needs to be on the network for the register computer to work properly. One of the computers is Windows ME(Cash Register) and the other is Windows Vista Business(office computer). Can I use a wireless router to hook up the two computer via wireless or can I run ethernet cables from computers to Wireless router? If I can do etiher, what is the cheapest best method. Thanks

Well you can do either. But unless there is clearly some reason you can not run a wire - wire is ALWAYS better!!!

I would have to assume they have wired interfaces already, they might not have wireless?

Do you or will you have internet? If you don't need internet, and just 2 machines you can always just run a wire between them - you don't even need a switch or router. What is the distance between the 2 machines?

I have two computers I need to hook up on a network. The situation goes as follows. I'm opening up a business and one computer will be the register and the other will be in the office. The one in the office needs to be on the network for the register computer to work properly. One of the computers is Windows ME(Cash Register) and the other is Windows Vista Business(office computer). Can I use a wireless router to hook up the two computer via wireless or can I run ethernet cables from computers to Wireless router? If I can do etiher, what is the cheapest best method. Thanks

If you're having to ask about how to do something so 'simple', it wouldn't be wise for you to try and setup a wireless network. Even more so when you're setting up your cash record system! The last thing you want is someone finding their way on to your wireless network and helping themselfs to your goods, or generally just playing around with your system so that you don't have a working register. It does happen. If you must have wireless get someone who knows what they're doing and can properly secure your network for you.

The best thing you can do is use ethernet cable, its more robust, faster, usually cheaper in smaller buildings and you won't have to worry about weird situations where the network goes down randomly throughout the day only to find out its your DEC phone or microwave knocking out the wifi connection. It does happen.

But like BudMan said, you don't need any extra hardware otherthan the cable to connect two computers together, and you don't really need any security setup in place to do that as only the two machines you have will be connected. However, if you're wanting internet on the office pc as well.. that is a different ball game.

A bit more information about what types of machines we're dealing with and what you actually want from it and how you're going to be using them both would be helpful.