Dumb question ...

I know it might seem like a dumb question but ...

Will the Wii U console play the original Wii games?

I'm thinking of getting the black Wii U console then selling the original Wii console. I'm keeping the Wii remotes.

Not a dumb question, a valid one. Yes, it will be backwards compatible and play the regular Wii games.

More information here :)

Yes! Thanks so much - I have the New Super Mario Bros Wii and will buy the Mario U!

:D

Yes! Thanks so much - I have the New Super Mario Bros Wii and will buy the Mario U!

:D

You're welcome! Yeah, the more I read about it, the more tempted I am to do the same... I love that we can download and play all the old games from their legacy systems too... nostalgia is calling :D

You're welcome! Yeah, the more I read about it, the more tempted I am to do the same... I love that we can download and play all the old games from their legacy systems too... nostalgia is calling :D

Yeah! Especially Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time ...

Ooo, btw did I hear about a remake of Majora's Mask for Wii U?! I saw the YouTube vid on that.

I'm going to hold onto my Wii, the homebrew community is still alive and active and am amazed at some of the emulators they have working. To be able to play Fate of Atlantis on the wii is just great.

You won't however be able to play Gamecube discs on the WiiU though :[ It also doesn't look too great for downloading Gamecube titles from the eShop either, considering none of the controllers have analogue triggers.

You won't however be able to play Gamecube discs on the WiiU though :[ It also doesn't look too great for downloading Gamecube titles from the eShop either, considering none of the controllers have analogue triggers.

what about the pro controller?

edit - nm, picture shows the "triggers" are just buttons.

I am seriously considering the Wii U. Gamestop is offering a $165 store credit for my iPhone 4 which will be replaced soon. I also have an old spare xbox that they will give me another $100 or so for. Would be a nice cheap new console. Anyone have any ideas that don't involve trading in games to bring it closer to $0? A free console for getting rid of old crap would be great. :rofl: :D

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah! Especially Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time ...

Ooo, btw did I hear about a remake of Majora's Mask for Wii U?! I saw the YouTube vid on that.

Fan made I'm afraid - I know, sucks! The art style for the remake was unbelievably good.

• 1 month later...

Update:

After much waiting, doing online research, and facing difficulties with "sold-outs" at many places, I finally got the Wii U (albeit Basic) and the New Super Mario Bros. U game!

Only Meijer's in Indy had the last one at $299, so I had to rush over there and grab it at noon yesterday.

Damn, the demand for the Wii U is outrageous!

• 3 weeks later...

I am seriously considering the Wii U. Gamestop is offering a $165 store credit for my iPhone 4 which will be replaced soon. I also have an old spare xbox that they will give me another $100 or so for. Would be a nice cheap new console. Anyone have any ideas that don't involve trading in games to bring it closer to $0? A free console for getting rid of old crap would be great. :rofl: :D

fwiw, i sold my old, 40GB PS3 with a busted optical drive to Gamestop for $122 in store credit. i arrived thinking that i might be offered $40 for it b/c of the busted drive, but the guy put it through the system, registered it as 'refurb' and voila - $122. i couldnt believe it. anyway, i put that store credit towards the purchase of my Wii U.

in conclusion, it seems that Gamestop will accept just about anything :p

Surely the Classic Controller Pro from the Wii era would be a great fit here?

Surely the Classic Controller Pro from the Wii era would be a great fit here?

The Classic Controller Pro itself doesn't have analogue triggers, although the original Classic Controller does. But even then, the layouts are so different it would feel really weird...

The Classic Controller Pro itself doesn't have analogue triggers, although the original Classic Controller does. But even then, the layouts are so different it would feel really weird...

Really? Wow, I didn't know that. What a load of bull****.