Need recommendations for $1,000 workstation

Years past this seemed easier. Thought I'd reach out for a little help this time.

My needs are this, I'm work with motion graphics and Adobe CS6 Premiere & After Effects heavily. So Nvidia Cuda support and big RAM are at the top of the priority list. Currently have an i7 (older) and have been very happy with it so I'm looking for the best bang for my buck witht that series as well. I'm not picky about the rest as I can upgrade drives to SSD and larger capacities later little by little. I game a little during my downtime so I'm curious how the nVidia workstation graphics cards hold up when you try to game with them.

Looking for the best setup with the following

Processor: i7

RAM: 16GB (exapandable to 32 a must)

Video Card: Cuda support

I've seen stuff from ASUS and love the ORIGIN gear but it's beyond my price range...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883220183

Damn, was expecting that much. Explains the $2k starter prices I'd been seeing.

IF you want 32gb ram expandable then you'll need socket 2011.... and CPUs/motherboards on that socket are expensive as hell.....

Good luck, mate!

I do not know anything about workstation cards but can't you use a consumer card with the Adobe programs? Cause i know adobe supports cuda on say a 570GTX.

Yeah I'm thinking I'm not going to have a chance at the QUAD cards. I'm learning nvidia is playing a lot of games on the 6xx series and don't have a clue which one is "good" or not. I know I want the RAM though, my current machine is an ASUS G73 laptop which holds it own for notebook, but I'm tired of not being able to update machines and don't have to have the portability any more.

If I went Consumer card, any one see a better deal than the link I posted ?

Your telling us now that you old i7 is in a laptop!

If you go for a Consumer card the GTX 670 or GTX 660 Ti should do.

If you go with that a i7 Quad Core on a X79 motherboard + PSU + GTX 660 Ti + 16GB RAM thats over $1000 and if you go for a i7 Quad Core on a Z77 its still over $900

Yes, I need to build a whole new rig. That x79 motherboard is nice, but the $300+ pricetag is too big a hit, the Z77 looks like it could work well though for $150 range.

I was hoping to just buy a system that could get the price lower than building myself and still get the specs and quality, not many options for what I'm looking for though..

Years past this seemed easier. Thought I'd reach out for a little help this time.

My needs are this, I'm work with motion graphics and Adobe CS6 Premiere & After Effects heavily. So Nvidia Cuda support and big RAM are at the top of the priority list. Currently have an i7 (older) and have been very happy with it so I'm looking for the best bang for my buck witht that series as well. I'm not picky about the rest as I can upgrade drives to SSD and larger capacities later little by little. I game a little during my downtime so I'm curious how the nVidia workstation graphics cards hold up when you try to game with them.

Looking for the best setup with the following

Processor: i7

RAM: 16GB (exapandable to 32 a must)

Video Card: Cuda support

I've seen stuff from ASUS and love the ORIGIN gear but it's beyond my price range...

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16883220183

So wait, you want 32GB expandable RAM, then link to a computer with very limited expandability? :/

I'm saying ideally I need 32GB of RAM for media production but can start with 16 initially. If the ASUS caps at 16, then that's not really what I want and why I landed here for some advice. It's looking like I could put together my own system and just add a spare drive I already have for around $750 plus whatever nvidia card I can get for $250 or less.

It's probably been over 10 years since I built a system from scratch, been working with laptops for the past six exclusively.

• 4 weeks later...