Editorial news calls quite a lot of people Idiots

"people that use server releases of windows as a workstation are too geeky/crazy".... yeah I dare you to write that....

Only on Neowin could there be a 12 page thread about an editorial calling 8 haters idiots. Grow the **** up, there wasn't a specific reference to any member, but was a broad generalization of people who claim 8 is like vista. If you happen to fall into that category, no wonder you're butt hurt, but get over it. Take it as an opinion (hence the big editorial tag) and then take it or leave it.

Hahaha, you guys are just like all the rest of the people in the world today. So easily offended by anything and need to be patted on the head. Who the **** cares what it says. Just like I would say the entire news section on this site is worthless so the fact that you're offended by it is funny.

Besides, the article author proves his inability to write comprehend a concept and respond without changing subject and over analyzing. Anyone who has said Windows 8 is the next Vista very simply means that it's going to be a great failure, just like Vista. The author of this article obviously couldn't comprehend the simplicity of this comment, and instead decided to compare it to the system stability and driver support in Vista, which was never a part of the discussion in the first place. It's a common tactic of those who have no real response to an argument. It looks like the reply probably started as a reply in the forum ranting and being upset because everyone picks on ole Windows 8, and for some reason the author thought we hadn't had enough Windows 8 sucks, Windows 8 is awesome posts on this site and decided we needed a news article about it.

So, as I was saying, the news section on this site is worthless and the fact that you'd be offended by it is funny. But is is an editorial, so grow a pair and deal with it. People are allowed to have opinions.

Mr. Sam's editorial has become something of a Muhammad's cartoon, I see.

Tender sensibilities indeed.

I gather no one actually cares about what the guy wrote it's the equality issue (why can he write that and i can't without being warned?) although i've seen a lot of cases where people can write that without having their thread deleted/warned which one person in this thread had claimed to be a victim of

but was a broad generalization of people who claim 8 is like vista

Yeah that's the point people are complaining about from what the posts I've read they get WARNED for doing the same thing yet here is a "staff" member doing what they can't on the same community so rightfully so some people are ****ed off

So do the people who keep complaining about this think they have the right to go see a comedian, and during the middle of their act stand up and start screaming the punchlines to their jokes?

Then why do you think what is written by a new writer needs to apply to the forums? I seriously cannot comprehend this whatsoever. Again, an article in the news and the forums are two completely different entities.

Your analogy doesn't make sense it's more on the lines of "only you can tell jokes anyone else will be kicked out"

I don't really care what the "writers" on neowin write they are no special than the other people on this site, why not give everyone equal privileges when it comes to the actual content writing I would expect greater quality posts from the writers than the normal user but that's not always the case. not to mention they are technically members and so should adhere to the rules provided if they are too strict then loosen them up for everyone the community provides far more content than them anyway due to sheer numbers

Writers should be on the same playing field in regards to following the community rules (news and forums - still part of a community which has community rules for all members)

This news article should set a precedence that no user should have their post edited/deleted/warned for doing the same if they are meant to be superior then they should lead by example

e.g. "People who use pc/ps3/xbox/wii/intel/amd/nvidia/ati are pathetic" should be safe to say

Either way it's clear the editors have been given powers to break community rules ("No Cursing or Swear words") posted in this actual topic by uncensored editors so there's no point arguing it.

tell me how this very discussion is a different entity to the others dirtylarry :p

Short version: People want equality, staff should lead by example and follow the "Community" rules which does cover News/Forums, I don't really care about the article just attempting to clarify or gain a clearer understanding on this arguing between members

• Like 1

We write for our audience, to entertain and to inform; but also to keep the site alive through revenue. This is not something that forum members need to be concerned about, so that's why the Community Rules are needed for the forums. The methods of business essentially keep our posts conforming to the Rules anyway.

I hope that clears things up.

Im surprised no-one has noticed this yet i was going to put this in an earlier post but how is revenue made? ads? traffic? either way less people reading the articles = less revenue for the site but remember we are not to worry about this as they will just make another stupid headline people will complain bout which = more revenue.

What wait? You didnt think this model hadn't been used before??

Again people get your news elsewhere, stop upping there revenue and if you have not already block there ads!!!! Jesus.

<back out>

• Like 2

Nothing that the author of the article wrote offended me... I'm rarely offended.

I just look at any windows 8 wars and LOL....

I'm divided on windows 8, windows 7, windows server releases, macosx, linux, or any OS really, became the same with hypervisors and sort of with routers....

please note that ALLIANCES WITH A COMPANY AND BEING A FANBOY/GIRL IS STUPID, CHILDISH AND SCREAMS INSECURITY!

you really need to prove yourself and feel you need a company to be a "buddy" shows that you are a weak person that needs help.

so anyone that would completely break up with a good friend and treat people like dirt that just use a different OS then you need to be locked up in a rubber room.

This http://www.neowin.ne...k-like-an-idiot

Particular editorial made myself spill a bit of coffee this morning.

Weren't you supposed to at least filter or proof check your news neowin? What the hell is this? This is the first time in quite a long time that I see an article like this in my long history of being registered and not in Neowin.

I'm quite ashamed of this individuals particular behavior since I have seen some post moderated for less. I want then that the moderators of Neowin apply the same logic with this editorial.

whats wrong with it? just read it and he's absolutely right.

Nothing that the author of the article wrote offended me... I'm rarely offended.

please note that ALLIANCES WITH A COMPANY AND BEING A FANBOY/GIRL IS STUPID, CHILDISH AND SCREAMS INSECURITY!

you really need to prove yourself and feel you need a company to be a "buddy" shows that you are a weak person that needs help.

Meow, purr, purr to that. :D

On the frontpage today...

The blog compares Nokia Maps, which is used as the basis for Microsoft's Bing Maps, to Google Maps and the new, and really crappy, iOS 6 Map app from Apple.

Source

Just like Brad Sam's article, the point the author is trying to communicate is valid, but ruined by the method. I don't take personal offence to it, but do such (valid) points really need to be phrased in such a childish manner? Along with the blatant bias in some articles and the fanboy wars in the comments on every article, it really lowers the tone of the site IMHO. As a long term member and former writer myself I find it kind of heartbreaking to see Neowin heading in this direction. :(

• Like 3

So do the people who keep complaining about this think they have the right to go see a comedian, and during the middle of their act stand up and start screaming the punchlines to their jokes?

Then why do you think what is written by a new writer needs to apply to the forums? I seriously cannot comprehend this whatsoever. Again, an article in the news and the forums are two completely different entities.

The only issue I have with it is that it seems to promote double standards and shows that if you post on the front page you can break the rules of the forums and that's perfectly okay. Besides that I don't really care about the article, it was just a boring rant.

Thing is when something's crap the company that made it has to know about it... if they aren't responsive to feedback then they really deserve to be called out on their BS. Specially a company like apple that is supposed to be perfect.

The only issue I have with it is that it seems to promote double standards and shows that if you post on the front page you can break the rules of the forums and that's perfectly okay. Besides that I don't really care about the article, it was just a boring rant.

Staff members always had super powers, that's nothing new or double standards. If you really want to call people idiots on a regular basis, get in the line (although that's not the primary role :p).

I must say, this has probably been the nail in the coffin for my usage of the Neowin FPN... (BPN are faster, community-based, copy-pasta jobs but at least a good copy is better than a bad, flamebaiting self-made article oh and they are better moderated...)

I still have it set as homepage for my browser, but basically just to get a glimpse on the actual happenings...

It's like turning on FOX News just to see what's happening ROUGHLY and getting your news elsewhere.

I found much smaller blogs investing much more effort in TRYING to stay as unbiased as possible.

Whatever Neowin wants to call itself... professional or unprofessional journalism, if it wants to look better, or even just call itself journalistic in ANY way, it must follow the rules of journalism.

Editorials are a free place for editors to write their opinions, but I have yet to see a newspaper or any other outlet use such language.

I'm often confronted with judging adjectives in the articles (note: not the editorials, the actual "news") - Fourjays has given an excellent current example - and I must say: Why still bother?

The forum is great, but I seriously question why I don't just set neowin.net/forum as my homepage and frequent my other news outlets FIRST and find a new one for general tech news.

Also: especially one that has the full articles in their RSS feed, it's dumb to always go to the site and read the news there d'uh, welcome to 2005! :laugh:

Here's something that's good: Trivia Thursday, because those articles always seem to have an extreme emphasis on being unbiased.

Oh and another note for the front page news:

The comments are notoriously unmoderated.

So much junk, flamebait etc going on it's beyond belief.

Literally raises the question whether all these articles that include flamebaiting themselves, especially the ones with harsh headlines, are just there to create what is tried to be fought in the forums so badly.

And people wonder why this community falls apart.

I think a lot of that dividing happens in the FPN comments.

Glassed Silver:mac

• Like 3

To all of those who keep saying in this thread that they are leaving Neowin, and "this is why the community is going downhill" We're not going to change (we've been doing this successfully for years already) and finally:

Bye.

This thread went on long enough.

• Like 3