Editorial news calls quite a lot of people Idiots

To be fair, if I singled out people like that and called them idiots in the forum I might be looked at a warning

In fact, I did recieve a warning for doing exactly what this person did. I really think the "editorial" should be removed and the author warned.

• Like 3

I remember when this site was a place where people interested in technology could read articles, comment on them and in the forums without fear of being called an idiot, moron or a fanboy. Now it's degenerated into a site just like engadget or gizmodo.

I remember when this site was a place where people interested in technology could read articles, comment on them and in the forums without fear of being called an idiot, moron or a fanboy. Now it's degenerated into a site just like engadget or gizmodo.

Not to mention Tom's Hardware. Used to be a great site once upon a time. Now, it has turned into Bash City.

...What did that have to do with my post? I'm 100% certain I read it correct, as there's no shooting in that quote, nor saying anyone's an idiot. There's saying you sound dumb for saying something that sounds daft, not, "you're all idiots".

So can you clarify something for all of us here. Based on your comment, I am allowed to say "if you are <insert race here>, you look/sound like a <racist term here>" According to what you just said, I wouldn't be calling anyone anything, I would simply be saying that they look or sound like it. Or is there something I am missing because it seems like it is the same thing. It means I can say any insult I want to anyone, as long as I first stay, "you sound" or "you look." That is what was done in the editorial after all and if there is nothing about it that goes against the rules of the site, we shouldn't be banned for this immature behavior either?

So can you clarify something for all of us here. Based on your comment, I am allowed to say "if you are <insert race here>, you look/sound like a <racist term here>" According to what you just said, I wouldn't be calling anyone anything, I would simply be saying that they look or sound like it. Or is there something I am missing because it seems like it is the same thing. It means I can say any insult I want to anyone, as long as I first stay, "you sound" or "you look." That is what was done in the editorial after all and if there is nothing about it that goes against the rules of the site, we shouldn't be banned for this immature behavior either?

Apparently they have changed their rules recently, and it's okay to say whatever you want as long as you start it with "you look" or "you sound". My post showing an example of that is still up and hasn't been removed....

Okay. You, Jake, look like a moron, like you're mentally retarded and like you're a total idiot.

Apparently that's okay since I said *look*!!!

So I guess we have some new rules around here!

I think it's wrong that some can be warned for doing what bdsams did, but him not get warned. I know my warning was from awhile ago and has now been removed, but since he wasn't warned, maybe I deserve an apology for a wrongful warning.

Oh wait, but I don't have a ton of posts, nor am I an editor. Senior editor. Sorry.

• Like 3

I think it's wrong that some can be warned for doing what bdsams did, but him not get warned. I know my warning was from awhile ago and has now been removed, but since he wasn't warned, maybe I deserve an apology for a wrongful warning.

Oh wait, but I don't have a ton of posts, nor am I an editor. Senior editor. Sorry.

If Neowin was a proper news agency, they would publish an apology article just like newspapers used to do when they said something wrong or incorrect.

Everyone makes mistakes. I have no problem with bdsams making a mistake as long as he admits it.

I just think its silly that Neowin is so mod happy because they are so worried about members feeling attacked that they bludgeon conversation, but they are quite content to flamebait a large group of users with namecalling on the front page.

Ohnoes, meh feelings. Man up.

I had another acct here once upon a time. I made it in 2002. I left in 2005 over how Neowin was becoming. I had over 2k posts at the time. I came back in Feb 2008 made this acct. because I couldn't remember my other accts login and no longer cared really, made this acct, had a 100 posts and left again. Come back and I now have over 800 posts and things are getting worse.

Neowin has changed a ton since 2002 and not for the better.

• Like 3

Apparently they have changed their rules recently, and it's okay to say whatever you want as long as you start it with "you look" or "you sound". My post showing an example of that is still up and hasn't been removed....

Nah, they just closed another thread that said that they made themselves look/sound like idiots. Rules only apply to those below the law(rules) and not those that are the law(rules)

but they are quite content to flamebait a large group of users with namecalling on the front page.

That's because authors get paid on how many hits and comments articles get.

bdsams could have wrote the same article without the childish namecalling and he wouldn't have had near the level of views and comments as it currently has, but it would have actually been a valid article. Neowin unfortunately promotes trolling and flamebait though due to the way they pay their writers.

Nah, they just closed another thread that said that they made themselves look/sound like idiots. Rules only apply to those below the law(rules) and not those that are the law(rules)

Yep. And I love that bdsams called MY thread trolling, when it was simply a carbon copy of his own article! With only the subject changed! He ought to take a second and think about what he actually wrote. I admit I write things in the heat of the moment, and then I look back and realize that I shouldn't have wrote those things.

• Like 4

I had another acct here once upon a time. I made it in 2002. I left in 2005 over how Neowin was becoming. I had over 2k posts at the time. I came back in Feb 2008 made this acct. because I couldn't remember my other accts login and no longer cared really, made this acct, had a 100 posts and left again. Come back and I now have over 800 posts and things are getting worse.

Neowin has changed a ton since 2002 and not for the better.

I joined in 2002 and I've seen all those changes as well and I agree that not all of them are for the better.

• Like 2

I joined in 2002 as well and I've seen all those changes as well and I agree that none of them are for the better.

Exactly. So much change and the only good thing is the way the site looks.

Going back a bit earlier in the thread, people saying that the article mentioned shooting people and then others saying it did not, well I am fairly certain that it did state that.

That been said , it is one of only a few of his articles I have read - mainly because when it say "make the jump" or some variation of that, I just don't click. It's something that just puts me off reading any further.

• Like 2

Going back a bit earlier in the thread, people saying that the article mentioned shooting people and then others saying it did not, well I am fairly certain that it did state that.

That been said , it is one of only a few of his articles I have read - mainly because when it say "make the jump" or some variation of that, I just don't click. It's something that just puts me off reading any further.

I also saw that he mentioned shooting people. A quick edit and all's well I guess. Go figure.

Sorry t say but i dont see how calling people idiots is a good example to the site rules.

Back in 2010 i got a 6month warning for calling someone "dumb" so how is calling someone, or a group of people idiots acceptable?

If you want people to follow the rules dont you first need to set the right example???

5. No Personal Attacks or Retaliation

Personal attacks such as instigating "flame bait", verbal abuse, mocking or sexist remarks of members in posts are not tolerated at Neowin. Such posts will be deleted on sight or moderated accordingly.

As above, if you are a long standing member, act like one. Lead by example and assist other newer members rather than attacking them. Members that reply to posts simply to instigate argument will be warned / suspended from forum areas.

i dont see how that article abides by your own rules unless your saying we can call one another idiots and me getting a warning for calling someone dumb was wrong :rolleyes:

Yeah I couldnt believe he said we desevered to be shot for thinking differently basically. Hence why he changed it but didnt have the balls to mention he shouldnt have said that. That seriously bothered me.

Way back years ago, one of the news articles had a picture of a WHAAMBULANCE. Think it was around the Vista beta era. I'm pretty sure Steve did it. :p

Also, loosely related to this topic: I remember asking about why swear words were allowed in articles on the front page, despite the rules. I've came to the understanding that the rules are meant to enforce restraint than clear cut "break it and you're screwed" guidelines. So for swearing, perhaps the occasional dropping of a four letter word isn't a big deal, but if members start ****ing saying **** like this ****** will for no ****ing reason then yeah, that's annoying. If I and other mods were following rules to the letter, a good number of these discussions would be deleted.

I could be wrong; don't take this as official policy. Just stating my thoughts on this matter.

The quality of this site is going down the tubes. Heck, even some corporate tech sites have better quality news articles. This is a place to engage in discussions about technology, not immature name calling. You guys just need better writers...

• Like 1

Personally I would think a tech site like this would want to attract people to read the articles (including editorials). If articles are overly opinionated and unprofessional to the point of calling people stupid, you're automatically shunning out the people in that "category" and everybody else that's looking for an intelligent conversation.

Isn't the point of an editorial to provide an opinion on something in hopes of convincing others to agree with you? Nobody from the other side is going to change their mind if you call them stupid...

• Like 2