New PC Build. Good or not?

Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz

ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 Intel Motherboard

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) Model F3-12800CL9Q-16GBXL (i have seen people say these dont work with this board but the ASUS QVL says it does)

CORSAIR HX Series HX750

EVGA 01G-P3-1556-KR GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) FPB

Please let me know what you guys think. The video card will get upgraded later and the cpu will be replaced with a Core I7 Ivy Bridge at a later date.

Your PSU is immensely overpowered, a 500W+ PSU should be fine =)

EDIT: Okay, nvm, I didn't see your tidbit at the end... but if it's going to be a single GPU, 750 still might be too much though

Can you choose an ATI 7850 instead? Uses very little power, it's EXTREMELY overclockable, and 2x7850s = droolworthy.

Two of those are out of my price range atm but will look at them in the next few weeks when i upgrade the video cards.

Are you going to be heavily overclocking at all? If not, why not save yourself some money and get a cheaper motherboard? The AsRock Z77 Extreme 4 will be a okay.

Also, the I5-3570k will be great and I can't recommend upgrading to an i7 because the price for the extra performance is too great.

PSU looks good.

GPU, have you got money for a GTX660 Ti instead?

You have gone for a lot of high end stuff all but the video card which another in SLi when you upgrade will not help.

Do you really need 16GB of RAM now? Why not get 2x4GB for 8GB now?

Motherboard is great but for the cost limiting your pick for a high end video card in your budget is not worth it a ASUS P8Z77-V LK will do SLi.

I wouldn't get that motherboard. It's overboard and way overpriced. As mentioned above, I'd also suggest the ASUS P8Z77-V LK. I have that mobo using SLI and it works great. Take the money you saved and put it towards a new GPU. The GTX 660 would be a good one. Also, there's probably no need to upgrade to an i7 in the future. The difference between the i5 and i7 really isn't that much.

Your PSU is immensely overpowered, a 500W+ PSU should be fine =)

EDIT: Okay, nvm, I didn't see your tidbit at the end... but if it's going to be a single GPU, 750 still might be too much though

Not true. Power supplies are more efficient when running around 50% capacity. So if your PC requires 350 watts on average then you would run 700 watts which is efficient. This will also give you leeway if you needed more watts. Just because the power supply is 750 watts does not mean it is burning 750 watts. The wattage is what it is capable of. The power supplies wattage decreases as the power supplies life time so having a larger power supply will also ensure that it outputs what you need for a longer period of time. I can't remember the source but this is what I have researched and read in the past. I have included some links I found today. The best power supply is Sea Sonic and Corsair HX series which are made by Sea Sonic. The power supply is an important piece of hardware. You have picked a great power supply.

http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=157628

http://www.energystar.gov/ia/partners/prod_development/revisions/downloads/computer/RightSizeDesignEfficientPowerSup.pdf

http://www.plugloadsolutions.com/80PlusPowerSupplies.aspx

Are you going to be heavily overclocking at all? If not, why not save yourself some money and get a cheaper motherboard? The AsRock Z77 Extreme 4 will be a okay.

Also, the I5-3570k will be great and I can't recommend upgrading to an i7 because the price for the extra performance is too great.

PSU looks good.

GPU, have you got money for a GTX660 Ti instead?

Yes i will be overclocking as much as possible.

Component-wise that is a good build. However it maybe over-kill or under powered depending on desired usage.

Gaming Rig and video editing that is the reason for the 16gigs of ram.

And thanks for letting me know i don't need to upgrade to the I7.

Yes i will be overclocking as much as possible.

I hope you're investing in a good water cooling set up. Ivy Bridge chips run very hot when overclocked. A lot when compared to Sandy Bridge.

I hope you're investing in a good water cooling set up. Ivy Bridge chips run very hot when overclocked. A lot when compared to Sandy Bridge.

True but with air i should be able to get 4.5Ghz no prob by undervolting.
  • Like 2

True but with air i should be able to get 4.5Ghz no prob by undervolting.

I've had good overclock results with my Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe. You could do the more budget oriented ASUS P8Z77-V LK or P8Z77-V, and for gaming, consider doing dual GTX 660 Ti's, or a single and then add another down the road. Then for cooling do something like the Noctua 2x 140mm (NH-D14), the Phanteks 2x 140mm (PH-TC14PE), or the Corsair H100 water cooler if you can fit it in your case.

Whats your budget?

I've had good overclock results with my Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe. You could do the more budget oriented ASUS P8Z77-V LK or P8Z77-V, and for gaming, consider doing dual GTX 660 Ti's, or a single and then add another down the road. Then for cooling do something like the Noctua 2x 140mm (NH-D14), the Phanteks 2x 140mm (PH-TC14PE), or the Corsair H100 water cooler if you can fit it in your case.

Whats your budget?

Already purchased what is on the list but as i said i will be getting diff gpu in a few weeks will deff look at the GTX 660 Ti's and was just looking at the Corsair H100 but not sure where to put it in my NZXT Nemesis case. Does the radiator have to go on the top of the case or can it be on the bottom?

Already purchased what is on the list but as i said i will be getting diff gpu in a few weeks will deff look at the GTX 660 Ti's and was just looking at the Corsair H100 but not sure where to put it in my NZXT Nemesis case. Does the radiator have to go on the top of the case or can it be on the bottom?

It needs to be mounted so that the feed tubes are above or level to the CPU cooling block (I think). The Nemesis case doesn't seem to be the best for that. You may also have clearance issues with bigger 140mm coolers.