IOS 6 worth the update?

well I definitely agree that Google maps is MUCH better than Apple Maps, but they have had A LOT more time to build up their information and photos.. I think Apple maps will get better with time for sure.

well I definitely agree that Google maps is MUCH better than Apple Maps, but they have had A LOT more time to build up their information and photos.. I think Apple maps will get better with time for sure.

I agree with you that Apple are in this for the long haul and it will improve over time.

But here is the thing, they make no money off this Maps system. We as users do not buy the Maps it comes with our devices and the prices of those devices will be unchanged wether this maps system or googles map system or Microsoft's is included. So my point is, since they are not able to monetize their maps why push it out at this point in time when it is not finished? Usually when a company pushes a product in to the lime light before it is ready but semi-functional it is because they need to get some revenue to finish it but Apple isn't in that position.

We could have enjoyed Google Maps for another 2 years while Apple spent a billion dollars on photography vehicles, aerial shots, 3D Models of more places. I mean heck they could have included the public transit information if they held this back another 2 years for sure.

The situation right now just feels to me like Apple arrogance. They truly believe some 3D buildings are enough to distract us away from the fact this thing is missing some very key features that made Googles Maps great. Yes we did not have turn by turn directions before but there was nothing to stop Apple from simply including that whole functionality with their own maps inside the old Google Maps. They could have quite easily switched mapping engines as soon as you selected Turn by Turn which would negate the Google licensing issues. And since all this stuff is basically web based anyway it wouldn't make the application bloated.

I'm not saying this whole thing is a big deal because it's not, Google will release their own Maps application soon and it will be just as good as the Android version I'm sure. But I'm disappointed that Apple decided to unleash this before it was ready. If there is one thing Apple continually gets right it is implementation, I feel they have really great designers and that has allowed them to make lovely looking software but when it comes to maps you need data to underpin that user interface and it's just not there. This is in my opinion a big fail on their part and if anything it shows how far behind Google they are in this area.

And this is coming from me, someone that just ordered an iPhone 5 the other day. :rofl:

Maps app is probably the worst piece of software ever released by Apple.

If you were using Google Apps at all on your iPhone / iPad, do not update to iOS 6.

I cannot believe how Apple could have allowed such a piece of **** to be ever released on their flagship product.

I'm not saying this whole thing is a big deal because it's not, Google will release their own Maps application soon and it will be just as good as the Android version I'm sure.

Wouldn't that go against the requirements of the App Store? A Map app from google would definitely duplicate a core iOS functionality (or non-functionality in the case of Apple's incredibly crappy Maps app).

There is no new skeuomorphism in iOS 6 that iOS 5 didn't already have except for the new Passbook application which didn't exist on iOS 5.

I know. However, I thought iOS 6 was going to make all apps skeuomorphism. It would unify the iPad and OS X UI. Currently, it clashes with the pinstripes and looks like a mess. Why is everybody f*ckin' with their UI lately? Did I miss something?

People give Apple a break. I am sure they will fix this soon. As with every OS developer out there, Microsoft included, nothing is perfect. Everyone makes mistakes. I am sure we will see a fix in the next few days or couple of weeks. Give them time to figure it out.

Apple should have Siri sing "London bridge is falling down" when using the maps app.

tumblr_manlg1zhwq1rhptwbo1_1280.png

Maybe you should be a little patient and let the application finish rendering. The rendering takes a little time and if your reception is not so good or you are having interference on your cellular reception then it will take even longer.

As you can see, I had absolutely no issues with it. Same bridge.

acdXTbxV.jpg

add4QChp.jpg

acvHHQMs.jpg

Apple maps found the chinese place near me which google maps doesnt

Looks like you were lucky.

Shibuya station (Tokyo, Japan) handles roughly 2.5 million passengers on an average weekday. If it wasn't enough that most of the info about its surroundings have disappeared or are completely wrong, the station itself is nowhere to be seen on Apple Maps. It maybe not obvious but the picture below shows the exact same location on Google Maps (mobile version) and the new Apple Maps:

compare.png

How about the world's busiest train station (used by an average of 3.7 million people per day), Shinjuku, with a total of 52 platforms and over 200 exits:

shinjuku.jpg

And wonderful satellite imagery:

42d22cd8-s.jpg

People give Apple a break. I am sure they will fix this soon. As with every OS developer out there, Microsoft included, nothing is perfect. Everyone makes mistakes. I am sure we will see a fix in the next few days or couple of weeks. Give them time to figure it out.

It's all about first impressions. And frankly, this is entirely Apple's own fault, the result of their own arrogance to want to control yet another market that they previously had little to not foothold in. It's poetic, really.

Steve Jobs would have never let that Maps App see the light of day if it wasn't working properly. He would have never allowed that.

I think there would have been a little more effort in to the maps app if he was still with us. How do you change the name up in the left hand corrner. Where the iPhone or Ipod is supost to be??

I dunno why people keep thinking Maps would have been substantially better if Steve Jobs was still alive. He's human and makes mistakes. Steve Jobs was alive when the G4 Cube was released, when Apple tried to get into the filtering business with KidSafe, the eCards business with iCards, MobileMe and Ping. All of those products or services ultimately failed, despite Steve Jobs being alive.

They are not saying he would have made it better. He simply would not have allowed it to be released in its current form. And if it did (a la mobileme leading him to fire half the team) heads would be rolling.

Now, can you imagine Tim Cook, Mr squeaky clean, being a total dick (which is absolutely necessary to be a CEO) to subordinates that messed up? No. Unfortunately while he is a great logistics guy, I do not see him as being the same caliber leader as Steve J.

Funniest thing Ive heard of in apple maps, is Scotlands satellite map is covered in cloud.....pretty realistic then :p

ach good luck to them, brave move by Apple to even try to compete against google maps, navigation and street view (albeit 5 years behind but they gotta start somewhere) give it 5 years and Apple will claim they invented online mapping apps........

I used it tonight, it finally gives you time with traffic for every suggested route (Google maps didn't), and it did perfect voice navigation. Plus you can rotate the map for fun.

Soooooo... stop complaining. It's six of one, half dozen of the other. It's not like Google maps was the paragon of greatness on iOS.

I dunno why people keep thinking Maps would have been substantially better if Steve Jobs was still alive. He's human and makes mistakes. Steve Jobs was alive when the G4 Cube was released, when Apple tried to get into the filtering business with KidSafe, the eCards business with iCards, MobileMe and Ping. All of those products or services ultimately failed, despite Steve Jobs being alive.

I am not saying it would have been better if he was alive. What I mean is, the product would have never been released at the shape it's on right now. Steve Jobs was a perfectionist and he would have never allowed Maps to be released in that condition - broken and useless. Tim Cook is an ass and I honestly don't like him at all. I don't think he has what it takes to make Apple succesfull. He's no Steve Jobs and like it or not, Steve Jobs may have been arrogant to some, an a...hole to others, but the man was smart and had a vision and protected Apple's reputation with his life.

Oh and by the way, iCards is not a dead product. It is still alive and well, but it is now called Cards:

http://www.apple.com/apps/cards/

I have updated my iphone 4S to iOS6, but I am not satisfied with that. Can go go back to iOS 5.1.1 ? How can I restore to 5.1.1.

You can't bud. Once its done, its done. :(

Steve Jobs was alive when the G4 Cube was released,

Yes, and the G4 Cube is one of the most iconic, beloved computer Apple -or any company- ever released.

It's part of the MoMA collection and still has a cult following to this day, more than 10 years after it was discontinued.

It failed commercially, no question about it, but it was a great product.

when Apple tried to get into the filtering business with KidSafe, the eCards business with iCards, MobileMe and Ping. All of those products or services ultimately failed, despite Steve Jobs being alive.

To be honest I've never used any of these services but it's true that with the notable exception of the immensely successful iTunes and the App Store, Apple doesn't have great web services/products.

Steve Jobs admitted that much in a number of interviews and has mentioned a number of times that iCloud has been built fixing all the mistakes of their past web products.

However, the big difference I see between MobileMe, Ping and the new Maps app, is that while the former were maybe missing some features (I wouldn't know, never used them) the latter is completely broken.

There's a huge difference between allowing the release of a new product that hasn't all the latest bells and whistles, and release one that is obviously completely broken.

well listen up usa had siri gps all ready so what your getting is a better battery

for us in canada we finally get siri gps witch works maps suck we know that but ios 6 in canada big usa not so much