Apple

Isn't that something that can also be improved on the database? The Maps app is really just a shortcut, in a way, to wherever the actual data is being stored, so I'm under the impression all aspects of Maps can be silently updated on a regular basis.

all the visual elements are in-app I think...

Google maps never started off great, Bing maps sucked. Early GPS's with Navteq and <forget name now> sucked. Its wishing on a star that after 3 years development, the iMaps app would be as good or better than these folks who've been developing them for seemingly ever.

I am patiently waiting to see if Apple approves the Google Maps app they submitted yesterday, or will force all their customers to 'stick with it'. Other map programs exist (I think iGo has one, Google Earth, etc) Its reasons like this I hate the walled garden.. There should be side-loading for situations like this. Apple are essentially removing a huge piece of mobile functionality by 'doing it their way'. Also sucks you can't cache any data - you need internet to navigate.

Fine in my area too but I do travel often and usually walk quite far (45 minutes+ in locations around the country) so my maps must be quite accurate. I'm holding off iPhone 5 unless Google maps is available from the app store. Apple just can't catchup much very quickly, it'll take years to build their database and without streetview I'll always miss that feature.

Oh well I'll stick with my trusty non-ios 6 3GS for a while longer as all in all, it does what it has from the start, which is get realtime data from the internet in a presentable format which is the most important thing.

Can't see myself ever wanting to strain my eyes to watch a video longer than a couple of minutes on a 4" screen, that's torture.

I think Apple new Map app is something Steve Jobs would of never let out the door in it's current form.

Theres a lot of things Jobs wouldn't let happen in the Apple world - like all the leaks, the iPad mini.. It don't matter though, the thing still prints more money 5 years after launch than it did AT launch. Apple keeps up these shenanigans hopefully the lemmings will wake-up and check out the competition. Google and MS have a very nice alternative mobile OS.

"Theres no transit maps in iOS6 because everyone who uses an iphone don't take transit, they drive BMWs. You knew that"

Google maps never started off great, Bing maps sucked. Early GPS's with Navteq and <forget name now> sucked. Its wishing on a star that after 3 years development, the iMaps app would be as good or better than these folks who've been developing them for seemingly ever.

I think everyone expects that it would take a long time to develop an excellent mapping app. The problem is that Apple didn't plan the transition from Google Maps at all well leaving users in a situation where they've upgraded to a new version of iOS that's severely lacking in a key area.

LOL even Nokia is making fun of apple!

http://news.cnet.com...ter-than-yours/

Nokia is pulling out all the stops inc marketing (look how well a good phone and poking at Apple has done for Samsung). The 920 and 820 are really their last chance to pick their share price up and contend with the big boys. I'm sure all their R&D money went into this investment. Not sure if it's a day late and a dollar short but it does look like a capable device although is it worth it if the risk is Nokia could still be gobbled up?? Probably since it's powered by Windows 8 :)

Maps is a pretty big deal. I use my actual GPS for things but I don't always have that with me. My friend and I today held our phones together. He has a droid and google maps. I have my iOS maps. Soooo much from my town is MISSING. Whole shopping centers. No text or anything. His shows them and has text.

I invested ALOT into iTunes and the App Store. I really hope they figure something out by March. The Samsung galaxy s 3 has my attention but I want to stay with IOS.

To each his own. I think the maps look much better than Google's, especially in regards to the typography.

And this is why trying to point out issues with Apple products will always fail when you're dealing with an Apple fanat--err, aficianado. Apple can simply do no wrong in such a person's eyes, even when the screwup is so blatant it can be spelled out to them with pretty typography..

Really this is the worst showing of software I have seen in a long time. What was APPLE thinking? Just stick with google until it was ready in another 2 years. All this negative press. Of course now they have to do damage control. There are some crazy issues I have seen on this maps software.

And this is why trying to point out issues with Apple products will always fail when you're dealing with an Apple fanat--err, aficianado. Apple can simply do no wrong in such a person's eyes, even when the screwup is so blatant it can be spelled out to them with pretty typography..

Uh, no. The point I was making was in regards to design decisions Apple made. Specifically that the typography increases the legibility of Apple's Maps in comparison to Google Maps.

I don't think the maps are perfect (though I haven't been misled by them yet), but I do think Apple has a strong foundation to build on. The bones are there. They just need to put good data on top of it.

One thing to say in apples defense.

That tumblr site has some actual bull**** pictures in it. We were talking about it on IRC and a couple of users pointed out issues with a number of screenshots.

It would be worth taking that site with a grain of salt.

Uh, no. The point I was making was in regards to design decisions Apple made. Specifically that the typography increases the legibility of Apple's Maps in comparison to Google Maps.

I don't think the maps are perfect (though I haven't been misled by them yet), but I do think Apple has a strong foundation to build on. The bones are there. They just need to put good data on top of it.

It might look nicer, but that doesn't mean it works better as a method for displaying map data.

For example, http://theamazingios...ro-buenos-aires - an example with a similar amount of base data. Sure, the Apple version looks nicer ... but the actual data being shown is frequently far clearer in Google's version. The smaller roads are easier to see, and the labelling is more sensible. There's no reason to make green areas so lurid - you very rarely use them to navigate. Roads are more clearly defined by size using color. I do think Google Maps might benefit from not using Arial though - Apple's shorter font leaves a bit more space for detail.

One thing to say in apples defense.

That tumblr site has some actual bull**** pictures in it. We were talking about it on IRC and a couple of users pointed out issues with a number of screenshots.

It would be worth taking that site with a grain of salt.

what issues? links please....

i can say google maps was indeed better in the sense of features, but when g maps was released too it had this similar "amateur" feel. Give apple maps a year and you will see it on par with what google offers now. yes, google maps is better, but they have had along time to tune, optimize, and tweak. The way that i use maps, apple or google do both the same thing so i have no need to switch back at the moment.

I liked it when it first came out on BETA on iOS 6, I thoroughly enjoyed the turn-by-turn and the mapping colors (Stood out more), and the fact it also worked while the screen was locked. But the public transit has me going back to the google maps website every weekday, and I've noticed a lot of things missing. I am disappointed, especially considering I love my iP5, aside from the maps. But I'm sure Apple will rectify it all in due time. I will be patient, it's a small bump on the road.

cqXYm.png

Of course, NASA is full of sh, there was no Moon landing nor Curiosity reached Mars. iOS Maps have uncovered the conspiracy.

*Edit - went looking for the origional tweet, not the real Rover twitter account, bummer, that would have been good if it was

I just took a look at some famous landmarks, thinking that well, if cities haven't been done properly then some of the traditional tourist hot spots would surely appear in fly over mode.

Statue of Liberty is flat as a pancake

Leaning Tower of Pisa : Flat

Londons Olympic eye = very impressive (at least to me) you can scale right in with flyover mode.

I'd not be surprised if Apple wasn't shunting all that maps data out right now given just how much strain there must of been with the masses downloading iOS 6. Unlikely I realise but wouldnt be surprised.

Am i right in thinking that google uses GPS location (or used it) along with positioning techniques to build up their maps. Can anyone elaborate on how google monitors traffic to keep that updated in their maps?

I don't think anything can beat google maps.... can it?

Bing Maps provides more accurate transit times and more efficient transit routing in Vancouver. Some Europeans say Nokia Maps is better there too. So it depends on what you use it for and where you live, but the answer is yes.

Too bad it'll take them years to actually map that bump so you can avoid it.

Oh, right, too late. ;)

send a report to mapreporter.com or teleatlas.com and wait approx 8-10 months...