What does iCloud backup/restore from your device?

I recently purchased 50 GB op iCloud storage to backup the content of my iDevices.

My iPhone has around 30 GB of storage (apps, music, mail etc) and my iPad also some GB's.

I noticed that my iCloud storage is around 10 GB used (so 45 GB's free, incl. the 5 GB you get from Apple).

How can this be? What is backupped to the iCloud?

Are these my user-specific files and docs (like Photostream, Calendar) and "(internal) Apple ID's of the apps and iTunes songs")?

So in case of a restore the iCloud is used for my user-files and the AppStore/iTunes for the 'general' files? And if the latter, what happens with apps/songs that are no longer in the AppStore?

Its virtually the same as the backup through iTunes if I'm not mistaken. Your app data and settings are backed up. Music and Photos are backed up but do not count against your space usage.

Are these my user-specific files and docs (like Photostream, Calendar) and "(internal) Apple ID's of the apps and iTunes songs")?

So in case of a restore the iCloud is used for my user-files and the AppStore/iTunes for the 'general' files? And if the latter, what happens with apps/songs that are no longer in the AppStore?

I believe that all apps will be re-downloaded from the AppStore if you do a restore. So if an app is no longer available on the app store you may not be able to get it back (I think).

So if an app is no longer available on the app store you may not be able to get it back (I think).

That's correct.

Just use the iTunes option to "Transfer purchases from iPhone" or for Automatic Downloads in order to keep local copies of your apps on your computer, which can be synced back to your iPhone even if they're removed from the App Store.

What is backupped to the iCloud?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4859

If it was me, I would've asked that question before purchasing 50GB of iCloud storage. In my case, the free 5GB from Apple is enough to allow iCloud backups for both my 64GB iPhone and 32GB iPad.

So in case of a restore the iCloud is used for my user-files and the AppStore/iTunes for the 'general' files?

Pretty much.