• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

How often do you use your start menu?

how often do you use your start menu?  

200 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

remixedcat    2,767

As the topic title indicates....

Detection    2,256

In 7 and previous, all the time, in 8, rarely

+Byt    44

All the time :)

Crisp    3,271

Why is it still called the "Start" menu?

Scorpus    208

Rarely. Every program I use frequently is pinned to the taskbar, and I only open up the Start Menu to use the search feature

• Like 1

Glassed Silver    940

Not very often, as I mainly use Mac OS X.

I only boot into Windows for gaming and the odd application that's not available for anything but Windows and I mainly use Steam to launch games.

Glassed Silver:mac

grayscale    236

if by "using", you mean navigating and mouse-ing the start menu, then rarely/never. I just use it to search.

pack34    223

Since Vista I've only used it to search. For those programs that I use frequently, they are pined to my taskbar.

• Like 1

rhianntp    55

Everytime I use the computer... hate having desktop cluttered with every possible icon.. and pinning is not much of a cure for that .. want the taskbar clean for switching between programs and instances... BTW .. Win8 = failure :)

• Like 5

Max Norris    2,258

99% of the time the menu itself I just bring up for a search, either a program or something external I've set up via a federated search. I don't actually look through the various sub-menus anymore aside from just tidying things up after that first install.. my common stuff is either pinned to the taskbar and/or the "front" of the start menu. Probably one of the reasons why the Win8 start screen doesn't bug me, I either hit a pinned program or search, that's it.. I use it more like Launchy/Gnome Do/etc than an actual menu.. so much quicker for me than actually digging through menus like the old XP way.

Aergan    622

Never on anything Vista and onwards.

Occasionally I click it on Windows XP to see if group policies are being applied correctly at work when remoting to client machines (we use a classic start menu on managed devices).

Obi-Wan Kenobi    1,121

All the time...but I'm on 7. Did the same thing starting with win. 95, and have constantly used it ever since. Can't live without it, especially in Win7...search FTW, in my book. :)

remixedcat    2,767

me and my hubby call it the "Fart Menu"

McKay    3,696

I have all my most commonly pinned programs on my taskbar like I did with Windows 7, on the rare chance I need a program that isnt there I jump to the start screen to get it.

Geoffrey B.    1,415

not often, with Launchy installed there is not much of a reason to use it.

phailyoor    32

Only for search. I never look at it.

Gerowen    1,243

Because up until Windows XP, it actually had the word "Start" on it.

start-btn.PNG

Max Norris    2,258
Because up until Windows XP, it actually had the word "Start" on it.

7 still has it, just as a tooltip though instead of the graphic itself. Not really needed anymore obviously, by now it's a bit obvious what that button does versus way back with Windows 95.. "where the hell did ProgMan go?"

soumyasch    22

Very very very frequently. I always search for documents/programs; browsing programs in the programs menu or browsing documents through explorer - I do not do frequently.

djnv2010    19

i'm more of a "click my computer icon" guy, things i do, i get to quicker that way... just me i suppose...

mrp04    379

In 7 I only used it to search and rarely clicked one of the programs from the most used list

In 8 I have everything I ever use pinned to the start screen. So if I'm currently using my keyboard I search and if I'm currently using my mouse I just click the program I want.

Otherwise my most used programs are pinned to the taskbar.

• Like 1

neufuse    3,888

Because that is what you do, you start a task.... even shutdown is a task, you start the shutdown, you start the search, you start a favorite item, you start a program, you start the control panel.... etc...etc... hence why its the start menu

• Like 1

Glen    48

At home: I use it mainly for search, but also when I install something new to see what else it installed (including help files, etc.). Most of my most used programs are pinned to the task bar for convenience.

At work: All the time. I have way too many programs that I rely on at work to pin them to the task bar, and I don't like clutter on my desktop. Also, it's the most convenient way to get to log out, disconnect, or reboot when I'm on a virtual machine.

hagjohn    2,222

I'm using 8RP, so I don't have a start menu but at work, the programs I use on a daily basis are on pinned my taskbar.

Growled    3,880

I'm honestly using it less and less these days. I have Rocketdock and Launchy installed and between those two I am well covered.