How often do you use your start menu?

how often do you use your start menu?  

200 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

remixedcat

As the topic title indicates....

Detection

In 7 and previous, all the time, in 8, rarely

+Byt

All the time :)

Crisp

Why is it still called the "Start" menu?

Scorpus

Rarely. Every program I use frequently is pinned to the taskbar, and I only open up the Start Menu to use the search feature

• Like 1
Glassed Silver

Not very often, as I mainly use Mac OS X.

I only boot into Windows for gaming and the odd application that's not available for anything but Windows and I mainly use Steam to launch games.

Glassed Silver:mac

grayscale

if by "using", you mean navigating and mouse-ing the start menu, then rarely/never. I just use it to search.

pack34

Since Vista I've only used it to search. For those programs that I use frequently, they are pined to my taskbar.

• Like 1
rhianntp

Everytime I use the computer... hate having desktop cluttered with every possible icon.. and pinning is not much of a cure for that .. want the taskbar clean for switching between programs and instances... BTW .. Win8 = failure :)

• Like 5
Max Norris

99% of the time the menu itself I just bring up for a search, either a program or something external I've set up via a federated search. I don't actually look through the various sub-menus anymore aside from just tidying things up after that first install.. my common stuff is either pinned to the taskbar and/or the "front" of the start menu. Probably one of the reasons why the Win8 start screen doesn't bug me, I either hit a pinned program or search, that's it.. I use it more like Launchy/Gnome Do/etc than an actual menu.. so much quicker for me than actually digging through menus like the old XP way.

Aergan

Never on anything Vista and onwards.

Occasionally I click it on Windows XP to see if group policies are being applied correctly at work when remoting to client machines (we use a classic start menu on managed devices).

Obi-Wan Kenobi

All the time...but I'm on 7. Did the same thing starting with win. 95, and have constantly used it ever since. Can't live without it, especially in Win7...search FTW, in my book. :)

remixedcat

me and my hubby call it the "Fart Menu"

McKay

I have all my most commonly pinned programs on my taskbar like I did with Windows 7, on the rare chance I need a program that isnt there I jump to the start screen to get it.

Geoffrey B.

not often, with Launchy installed there is not much of a reason to use it.

phailyoor

Only for search. I never look at it.

Gerowen

Because up until Windows XP, it actually had the word "Start" on it.

start-btn.PNG

Max Norris
Because up until Windows XP, it actually had the word "Start" on it.

7 still has it, just as a tooltip though instead of the graphic itself. Not really needed anymore obviously, by now it's a bit obvious what that button does versus way back with Windows 95.. "where the hell did ProgMan go?"

soumyasch

Very very very frequently. I always search for documents/programs; browsing programs in the programs menu or browsing documents through explorer - I do not do frequently.

djnv2010

i'm more of a "click my computer icon" guy, things i do, i get to quicker that way... just me i suppose...

mrp04

In 7 I only used it to search and rarely clicked one of the programs from the most used list

In 8 I have everything I ever use pinned to the start screen. So if I'm currently using my keyboard I search and if I'm currently using my mouse I just click the program I want.

Otherwise my most used programs are pinned to the taskbar.

• Like 1
neufuse

Because that is what you do, you start a task.... even shutdown is a task, you start the shutdown, you start the search, you start a favorite item, you start a program, you start the control panel.... etc...etc... hence why its the start menu

• Like 1
Glen

At home: I use it mainly for search, but also when I install something new to see what else it installed (including help files, etc.). Most of my most used programs are pinned to the task bar for convenience.

At work: All the time. I have way too many programs that I rely on at work to pin them to the task bar, and I don't like clutter on my desktop. Also, it's the most convenient way to get to log out, disconnect, or reboot when I'm on a virtual machine.

hagjohn

I'm using 8RP, so I don't have a start menu but at work, the programs I use on a daily basis are on pinned my taskbar.

Growled

I'm honestly using it less and less these days. I have Rocketdock and Launchy installed and between those two I am well covered.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Dutchie64
      HI,

Hope there are still some Surface2 (RT)  Win8 users around, as I still use mine almost daily besides my S3.

The tablet ran the latest 04-2018 security update yesterday, but it messed up all my installed apps. Almost all of them refused to start and got stuck on the start/icon screen.
      It doesn't really matters if it's MS native apps or 3rd party ones.
      After some fiddling I got some of them to start again, by starting/closing them frequently, but are dog slow atm.

While this was all happening, CPU and harddrive usage was over 60-70%%, as if Windows was still doing stuff. Even after multiple reboots/shutdowns.

Also, the apps that refuse to start (for now) are apps that are not in the Store anymore. Coincidence?
      Does this sound familiar to someone, or did I just got a bad update experience?

cheers!

rob

• By KaoDome
      So here's some insight, I have to install Windows 7 in an old machine since that's what my friend prefers. Given the myriad of updates there are for that OS right now I was wondering what would be the quickest route to a fully updated system, in essence, installing the less updates possible.

So far, starting from the refreshed image of SP1 I've done the following:
      - KB3004394: For the updated root certificates.
      - KB3020369: April 2015 Servicing Stack updated (+ the current version of the Windows Update agent).
      - KB2729094, KB2731771, KB2533623, KB2670838, KB2786081, KB2834140, KB2639308, KB2888049 & KB2882822: Pre-requisites for IE 11.
      - IE 11.
      - KB2685811 & KB2685813: For the 1.11 model drivers, not that it would matter for this system I think.
      - KB3125574: The convenience roll-up, brings things up to April 2016.
      - .NET 4.7.1.

After that Windows Update is still showing my some 41 updates, some of which I think supersede others? (look at the top of the list of the capture I attached); so I'm thinking maybe installing one of those roll-ups would do the trick.

I remember reading about Windows 7 going the way of cumulative updates of some sort and since there are some sysadmins among the members (although hopefully not making W7 large scale deployments already) I was wondering if there was a way of cutting the list down to less updates, or a best practices approach so to speak. There may already be some redundancy on what I did for now, but the default state was horrendous (150+ updates) and it's a 5400k RPM hard drive...

Anyway, thanks for the read, any input is well received and appreciated. I'll edit the post tomorrow (6:42am here :S) with download links over those KBs in case somebody comes across this post and finds it useful.

• By ogannon
      Hi All,

I am trying to mend my parents in law's computer. It's a Lenovo with Windows 8. The computer is extremely slow - loading up the computer you need at least two attempts - the first attempt you get a blue screen. Using the PC I've encountered that the computer is extremely slow - mouse stops when you are moving it etc...

I've run a disk cleanup and then also a virus run. These did not make a big difference.

Does anyone have any further ideas on how to remedy this problem? Would prefer not to reboot the entire machine as I have lost the Office 2010 code.
    • By ShadowDefender
      Hello guys, whats up.
      I am in a desperate need of some professional solution from you. You see i have Win7 Ultimate (x32bit) edition installed in my PC.
      My machine came pre-installed with Win XP at first. I got a DVD from one of my friend and it was a Win 7 (x32bit) edition Starter Disc.
      Please see the image.

I had made an image of Win 7 Ultimate (After inserting Anytime Upgrade Key from Starter to Ultimate) by the default Win7 Backup and Restore function.
      I have at least two image (Pretty useless because they already have this indexing problem) .
      But again recently that copy of Win 7 Ultimate went bad due to severe indexing problem due to enabling Hibernate function. I had to perform a lot of
      "chkdsk" function to set it right. Lets be plain and simple, my pc began to have errors, it became so bad that it showed continued BSOD (Blue Screen).
      So with the fear of it showing some sector problems. I had to reformat and install Win 7 again from Starter to Ultimate.
      Its really f****d up thing i have to do again and again. I am getting tired and old of these things.
      Really! i am getting old for these kind of things. But somewhere here in this post (This is the post) i saw the Activation Settings can be backed up.
      So i took time to search few tools like:
      ABR (Activation Backup and Restore) Website Advanced Tokens Manager 3.5 RC5 Website
      But these tools work on machine that came out of factory that has OEM license.
      I tried the first tool, it didn't work. It couldn't activate Win 7 and the second tool ask to install .Net Framework 4.0.30319.
      (Let me tell you i do not have a Activation key for Win7 Ultimate; that friend installed it once and his number count has expired too.)
      Which doesn't want to be installed in my PC. It says, "It cannot be installed in this version of Windows". Again pretty useless.
      Mine version of Win 7 ( if installed from a Disc will naturally fall on Retail version; Yes)
      I could restore those old image and backup those Win 7 Ultimate Activation Settings and apply it on the fresh copy of Win 7. Yes.
      So theoretically its possible but i am having difficulties finding those tools.
      What i want is, is there a possibility for me to do this.

Awaiting your reply. I have only 3 more days to Activate again. I can again restore the image and do this again and again as i am not
      in hurry. But i am also not particularly fond of doing this again and again.
      Any suggestion would be of great help to me.
      I do not know if it can be done. Have you faced such situation.

• By Deflektor
      I've had Win 7 installed for a long time and it's setup just the way I want, with lots of programs, shortcuts, etc. and I'd rather not mess it up. But I heard the Win 10 accessibility upgrade offer was ending soon, so I'd like to claim my license before I lose the opportunity.

Is there any way to install Win 10 without affecting my Win 7 install? Like if I disconnect the Win 7 drive and install 10 on a fresh one or something? If I put my Win 7 key into the Win 10 installer, does the 7 license get revoked or will it continue to work?

Thanks for any help