• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

How often do you use your start menu?

how often do you use your start menu?  

200 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Lprd2007    21

Rarely, if ever, I use it to launch apps. With pinned apps on the taskbar and jumplists on the explorer, I only use it to shutdown the computer.

Glassed Silver    940

Because that is what you do, you start a task.... even shutdown is a task, you start the shutdown, you start the search, you start a favorite item, you start a program, you start the control panel.... etc...etc... hence why its the start menu

EXACTLY. Amen....

Shutting down is a TASK, not a flipping "preference" LOL

Yes, I'm looking at you, Windows 8...

Glassed Silver:mac

• Like 2

remixedcat    2,767

Eeeeyup!

another reason they call it task manager as well

Harrison H.    70

EXACTLY. Amen....

Shutting down is a TASK, not a flipping "preference" LOL

Yes, I'm looking at you, Windows 8...

Well if we want to go there, you are setting your computer to the off position, therefore settings (it's not preferences anyways :p).

remixedcat    2,767

you start the setting to initiate the shutdown task

• Like 1

Hum    6,933

Daily -- a dozen times at least :D

Glassed Silver    940

Well if we want to go there, you are setting your computer to the off position, therefore settings (it's not preferences anyways :p).

Sorry, but it's just dumb to throw it into settings, preferences, whatever you call it.

Harrison H.    70

Sorry, but it's just dump to throw it into settings, preferences, whatever you call it.

Never said it should be there, just arguing on the same technicalities that were previously used. It really should be in the start menu right where you log off (your user account).

• Like 1

firey    3,911

I use it all the time, I don't like a cluttered task-bar (always disabled the quick-links on pre 7) and only have 4-5 apps pinned.

+Majesticmerc    872

Regularly. I use a plethora of programs, far too many to pin to the taskbar (IDEs, debugging utilities, web browsers, notepad, explorer, ssh and telnet sessions, the list goes on), and I have my taskbar mounted vertically to the left of the screen. As a result I have a lot of applications pinned to the start menu (my start menu occupies the full height of my screen). I also use it to run less used programs and occasionally to search for files.

Raa    1,551

Ugh, public polls...

I use the start menu daily on an extremely frequent basis. I have no intentions of changing that behavior on my computers.

Buttus    1,194

all the time, i have everything in folders, like apps, internet, games, sound, etc.... start/all programs/directory that i need for the program

i hate using the mouse, then having to type, then use the mouse again, easier just to use the mouse all the time for me

on win 7

Barney T.    2,327

Rarely. Every program I use frequently is pinned to the taskbar, and I only open up the Start Menu to use the search feature

^ This.

LostCat    1,295

I occasionally open it up for stuff I forgot to pin to the taskbar, but as soon as it's available I'll be on 8.

nub    181

Every time I want to start a program.

+virtorio    3,121

Since switching over to Windows 8 I can honestly say that I used to use the Start menu quite a lot.

Whenever I go to do some things in Windows 8 I have to actually stop and think what exactly I need to do.

• Like 1

remixedcat    2,767

Since switching over to Windows 8 I can honestly say that I used to use the Start menu quite a lot.

Whenever I go to do some things in Windows 8 I have to actually stop and think what exactly I need to do.

same here the first 10-15 minutes.... then I went:

PIN ALL THE PROGRAMS!!!! .....

to the superbar and there I went!

• Like 1

zhangm    1,333

None since I've switched to 8.

I do use the Start screen often to check e-mail, forecasts, and calendar appointments on Live Tiles, and to search for files.

The Laughing Man    442

I hate icon clutter, so pinning icons to the taskbar activates my OCD.

• Like 1

cork1958    1,669

Everytime I use the computer... hate having desktop cluttered with every possible icon.. and pinning is not much of a cure for that .. want the taskbar clean for switching between programs and instances... BTW .. Win8 = failure :)

+ a whole bunch!!

Pinning icons to the taskbar is even worse than half a million icons on the desktop, IMO. Looks like a slob that has no clue to what they're doing, uses the computer.

Don't know why so many of you say you only use it for searching either? What the heck are you searching for? Don't you know how to file/name things and know where you put them? I don't think I've used the search more than 3 times since it was invented!

• Like 1

Dot Matrix    7,430

Don't know why so many of you say you only use it for searching either? What the heck are you searching for? Don't you know how to file/name things and know where you put them? I don't think I've used the search more than 3 times since it was invented!

Because it's quicker than manually weeding through the menu. And, yes, I mean that in every sense.

Tha Bloo Monkee    591

very seldom. using Windows Vista + ObjectDock.

Matthew S.    960

At work I use it all the time as we run a combination of Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 but at home I primarily use a Mac with OSX 10.8, my desktop has Windows 7 and I barely touch the start menu.

rhianntp    55

+ a whole bunch!!

Pinning icons to the taskbar is even worse than half a million icons on the desktop, IMO. Looks like a slob that has no clue to what they're doing, uses the computer.

Precisely.. Search? for what? Too lazy to keep your stuff organized? Can't be bothered to pay attention to where things D/L to? This is the kind of behavior that got us to where we are ... what was once a hobby for only the most intelligent people is now being dumbed down to the absolute lowest common denominator...Win 8 is just the latest (and most damaging ) example of this.....when you surrender hvaing to be bothered with knowing where your files are you also surrender the ability to keep them private and secure....despite what MS want to tell us , most people do not give a rats ass about live updating tiles... they would much rather point and click and manage tasks they way they have for the last 20 + years... anyway, like cork said.. I have never used Search and can count on one or two fingers the people I have encountered in all my years as a tech and consultant who ever used it as well.....I know the answer to this (MS Store) , but why can't the windows UI be modular the way Linux is?? Choose the user environment at log in...

moloko    186

I use a ton of programs. And my task bar is full of my most used but still I have other ones I use and go to the task bar.