Low Cost Server Build

As stated in my intro post, I am currently choosing components for a new server build. The thing should be reasonably low cost and energy efficient. I'll need it for file sharing for 1-2 PCs, 2 laptops, FTP access, backups, 24/7 downloads and possibly later some other uses.

My currently build:

CPU:

Pentium G630/G630T

http://www.hoh.de/ha...ghz-so-1155-box

http://www.hoh.de/ha...ghz-so-1155-box

I know T version is more energy efficient, but how would those two CPUs perform at running Windows Server 2012? Overpowered, underpowered?

Motherboard:

ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP

http://www.hoh.de/ha...l-1155-atx-ddr3

The main sell point for this is 4 SATA II + 4 SATA III ports.

RAM:

2x2, 3x2 or 4x2 GB

http://www.hoh.de/ha...glerank?c=33585

Something like that, 2-4 sticks of it.

I already have the PSU and case, so there is no problem.

I'll be using an old SATA II 160 GB disk for boot. I also have WD 1,5 TB Green drive (EARS), that will be used for extra backups (single, independent drive) for some more important files (work, documents, pictures), so the capacity should be enough.

I'd add two 1 TB or 1,5 TB drives (RAID) for starters and buy more when I get some cash.

http://www.hoh.de/ha...d15earx?c=32618

http://www.hoh.de/ha...4mb-3-5?c=32618

How would those perform? I've been reading about some complaints about WD Green drives that are unusable in servers?

The noise of the server and disks is not a problem as the server will be put into the attic, away from living space.

The motherboard + CPU + 2 stticks of RAM should cost together no more than 180 EUR. The drives together should cost about 170 EUR max.

I'd like you to review my build, critique it and share some thoughts about my ideas :)

Why not get an ITX board with a dual Atom processor? If you want ultimate low power, there is your answer. The latest one with DDR3, think its still socket 1155.

• Like 2

I'm not sure I understood you correctly... If it has dual core Atom, it can't have 1155 socket at the same time. So there is no point in going ITX and putting in standard 1155 because I'd still have same power consumption but less SATA ports, I guess. However, would you recommend any specific ITX board?

Should I take some mini ITX moterboard and later on add a SATA controller? What would be the best OS to handle my requirements?

Well, you said "possibly later some other uses". What those other uses are might better define what you should use here. As I said, for a home file server, I'd rather just have a NAS box these days.

I've just realized that mechanical HDD won't actually saturate SATA2, let alone SATA3, so I'll probably try to find an ITX board with 4 or 6 ports and dual core E350. Should be enough.

Yeah, I've been looking at those as well, but unfortunately it isn't available in my country and the postage costs would almost nullify the 100 pounds cashback deal. I live in Europe, country is part of European Union, and they still make us look like we're some third world country with dial-up internet :D

I'm not sure I understood you correctly... If it has dual core Atom, it can't have 1155 socket at the same time. So there is no point in going ITX and putting in standard 1155 because I'd still have same power consumption but less SATA ports, I guess. However, would you recommend any specific ITX board?

1155? God, what was I thinking. Belay that.

If you can find something like this where you are: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121442&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-NA-_-NA

I picked up an old Acer AMD Phenom 2.2Ghz quad core PC for free, gutted it, threw 8GB of DDR2 at it and 10TB of storage over 6 HDD's in a Silverstone Grandia desktop case. Board and CPU are over 4 years old, cobbled together with odd old bits like an extra gigabit LAN card and a PCIe SATA controller.

I can get away with:

1. 24/7 downloads via uTorrent to dedicated HDD.
  2. Media streaming to Xbox 360's/PC's via WMC/WMP/MPC at 1080p (Up to 5 devices simultaneously depending on disk load)
  3. XBMC to TV via HDMI (Counts as a device above ^)
  4. Transcode mkv to .m2ts
  5. Convert DTS to AC3
  6. Remote Desktop / Log Me In
  7. Backups
  8. SkyDrive
  9. Up to 4 live Virtual Machines on Hyper-V via Dynamic Memory Management
  10. Run a virtual Windows Domain on Hyper-V for lab/test

If I need extra lab/VM resources, I switch the boot selector between Windows 8 Enterprise x64 (on a VHDX) and Windows Server 2012 Hyper-V (also on a VHDX), then run the Windows 8 Enterprise OS as a virtual. When doing very little, it's using 85-90watts of power but probably less now that I've installed only Samsung and WD Green HDD's. HDD's spin up on demand and cores are throttled down to around 600-700Mhz.

Other than the HDD's and the case (only real expenses), it's surprising what you can get away with on something that was originally going for scrap. For what you need, you might consider recycling what may already be available for a lot less money ;)

Other than the HDD's and the case (only real expenses), it's surprising what you can get away with on something that was originally going for scrap. For what you need, you might consider recycling what may already be available for a lot less money ;)

Will check at home tomorrow what do I have. I know there should be an old Athlon 3000+ and some other unidentified CPU+motherboard that might be dual core... Also got an offer for a sempron 3400+ and a mobo for free. I just might take the guy up on the offer... Well, I'll surely get back at you when I know some more :)

So, my current possible choices are:

Amd Athlon 3000+ , Socket 939 @1,8 GHz and 85W TDp

Amd Sempron, Socket 939 @2,0 GHz and 62W TDP (not yet sure, don't know if it has a cooler)

Intel Celeron D 335 (I think), socket 478 @ 2,8 GHz and 85W TDP.

I guess with underclocking I could get smaller power consumption? How would be the best way to approach this, as I haven't done it before?

I'd go with FreeNAS 8.2 on cheap hardware, make sure you get 4GB Ram + and spend the rest on disks and enjoy the benefits of ZFS and FreeNAS. Of course if you wanted other functionality later in the form of windows only services then don't.

Of course through if you have WS 2012 then you can make use of the new storage spaces for redundancy etc.

hmmm i never considered this

i have an old Athlon 3600+ with 4gb ram sitting in the house

i know what i am doing when i get home lol

You can underclock using things like the generic P4 filters (in linux) or get say an ASUS board with EPU (only if you're running windows) which will allow you to greatly underclock everything on the system much better than just a P4 filter in linux would.

But you won't find any ASUS MBs with EPU for 478, it's the core 2 duo boards like P5Q-Deluxe, P5Q-Turbo, etc.

Which means I probably won't be doing much underclocking... I guess I'll just go with Sempron if I can get it and my existing MB, and then upgrade the whole thing if necessary due to power consumption or the need for more computing power.

If you already haven't, look into the benefits of ZFS on FreeNAS. also FreeNAS 8.2+ allows plugins to be used, there is already plenty to choose from but just in the box you get SMB, AFP, iSCSI, NFS, FTP, SSH, AD, LDAP, TFTP along with lots of other clever bits.

post-325730-0-02916300-1349186878_thumb.

Yeah, I've installed Freenas 8 on one of the testing PCs just to see how it all worked and to ''get the feeling for it''. What kind of additional plugins can you install anyway? I didn't really find many, just the torrent client.

My current idea is to go with the hardware that I got at home and wait for more funds to buy some quality components. What would be the easiest way to migrate the server to new hardware, complete reinstall and file system rebuild or are there better solutions?

Depends on your OS really.

Linux you could just copy the configs over or maybe move the whole drive over and just rebuild the initrd (depends on setup and what distro), but for windows you'll need an entire reinstall on the new hardware unless the new server has the same CPU type and chipset.