Start8 Now Cost $5

Wow all this outrage over 5 bucks? Damn you're a tough bunch.

You realize for $5 you can install it on as many machines as you have as long as it's for non-commercial use. So it's really worth it from that perspective. Like it or not someone has to pay the devs for their work, this is on a much higher level than classic shell. Start8 is a perfect match in look AND functionality of the Windows 7 start menu where classic shell is a half assed replacement.

Of course they're going to charge for it. Make perfect business sense to throw some FUD around and charge for people's fear of change.

Of course they're going to charge for it. Make perfect business sense to throw some FUD around and charge for people's fear of change.

He who wants to get rid of the right click menu.

• Like 2

There is a "Try it free" button, with the following notice: "The trial version is for personal, consumer use only and may not be used in commercial or educational settings. For commercial and educational licensing, please contact corpsales@stardock.com."

just tried the *try it free version* its a 30 day trial, not Free at all. hope i can go back a version.

Suck it up. If you really like it just pay the $5. Jesus, you guys make it sound like they want your left testicle!

It always amazes me the things us humans have to whine about . . . :rofl:

It really makes me sad to see that people have such a hard time paying $5 for a piece of software they like

You realize for $5 you can install it on as many machines as you have as long as it's for non-commercial use. So it's really worth it from that perspective. Like it or not someone has to pay the devs for their work, this is on a much higher level than classic shell. Start8 is a perfect match in look AND functionality of the Windows 7 start menu where classic shell is a half assed replacement.

I don't have $5 paying for a good piece of software ( I have an ipad with over 1000 apps) and I don't think anyone else does either, however its people like you who are helping the DLC Software mentality and are aiding its direction into mainstream. Stardock has made some great stuff over the years, but a $5 START MENU program? its nickle and dimeing the OS. If stuff like this is allowed and accepted by users whats to stop companies to start withholding other standard features and then charging for them afterwards. 2 words, horse armor. Don't let companies turn Windows into horse armor. Programs like start8 are handy for those who want a piece of Windows 7 but they shouldn't be trying to milk us for it.

I don't have $5 paying for a good piece of software ( I have an ipad with over 1000 apps) and I don't think anyone else does either, however its people like you who are helping the DLC Software mentality and are aiding its direction into mainstream. Stardock has made some great stuff over the years, but a $5 START MENU program? its nickle and dimeing the OS. If stuff like this is allowed and accepted by users whats to stop companies to start withholding other standard features and then charging for them afterwards. 2 words, horse armor. Don't let companies turn Windows into horse armor. Programs like start8 are handy for those who want a piece of Windows 7 but they shouldn't be trying to milk us for it.

The thing is, you don't need it... you are spending $5 on something that the OS already has and does better.

I paid for it because indeed makes windows 8 fell like a real OS should feel, already stated many times, increases productivity like 200%. The Start Screen is ok but is not a replacement of a real Start Menu, is, in fact, clunky an terribly designed, since you can actually use Paypal to pay it it's not bad, I really hate when I don't have that option available and I wouln't have bought it if it not were for that.

Anyway, great utility, vastly improved over the past version, now my windows 8 experience feels almost complete, just need the transparencies back...

It's not FUD, I know for myself I can accomplish things on windows 8 MUCH quicker with the start menu. I don't hate the start screen, but I also recognize that it has some very prominent usability issues.

It's not FUD, I know for myself I can accomplish things on windows 8 MUCH quicker with the start menu. I don't hate the start screen, but I also recognize that it has some very prominent usability issues.

^^ This

The start screen isn't unusable, I don't think anyone is saying that. But on certain platforms like touchpad laptops, it really doesnt work well and getting to certain things in the start menu is a lot quicker. I.E. look how much more work it is to actually shut down your PC via Start screen.. granted its what another 1-2 seconds of work which is very small but its annoying. its not making things better in those cases its making it worse.

Those free apps on your ipad are ad driven. They need to make money somehow and I don't think you want ads on your start menu. This app is written by professional developers, not some kid living in his mother's basement eating ramen noodles.

While it might sound trivial to you, it's not. They had to program the whole thing from scratch (the first version simply used the old left over code but MS removed it)

Those free apps on your ipad are ad driven. They need to make money somehow and I don't think you want ads on your start menu. This app is written by professional developers, not some kid living in his mother's basement eating ramen noodles.

For your information most of those 1000 Apps are paid for, that was my point. And most of those apps are not garage developer apps.

For your information most of those 1000 Apps are paid for, that was my point. And most of those apps are not garage developer apps.

Oh okay, so what's your problem with Start8 then? It's a very functional piece of software and for 5 dollars you can install it on all of the machines you personally use. The only time you have to deal with licensing is if you want to use it in a corporate environment. But for personal use it's perfectly fine to pay 5 dollars and use it on your desktop, laptop, dev machine etc....

Oh okay, so what's your problem with Start8 then? It's a very functional piece of software and for 5 dollars you can install it on all of the machines you personally use. The only time you have to deal with licensing is if you want to use it in a corporate environment. But for personal use it's perfectly fine to pay 5 dollars and use it on your desktop, laptop, dev machine etc....

As a long time user of Windows and some of startdocks free software I see no reason to charge for this, plain and simple. Its replacing a small albeit handy feature of Windows that was removed. I see no reason to charge for this, yet to keep things like Object Dock free. With iOS I have no alternative but to purchase software even if it is for replacing basic functionality of some things. Its the App Ecosystem. As far as PC goes, for years developers have offered free small tools like Start8 and Object dock as carrots to get you interested in their other more meaty products. Should i have to PAY for an app that gives me a shutdown button? My opinion, no. I realize that there is talent and work that goes into creating some of these applications but for small things like object dock and start8 they definitely aren't breaking the bank. Free alternatives prove that.

To all those whinging about Start8 suddenly no longer being free, and now costing US$5, the best FREE alternative

has already been mentioned. Classic Shell. Totally customisable, and also offers a choice of all three incarnations

of the traditional Start Menu depending on your own personal taste ... 9x style, XP style and Vista/7 style

Did I happen to mention that it's FREE? Yes it's FREE. Literally completely FREE, gratis, no cost whatsoever!

You even still get to keep the new fangled colourfully tiled "Modern UI" Start screen.

Choice is good!

it looks to my like the "try it free" is still the full version. it states

The trial version is for personal, consumer use only and may not be used in commercial or educational settings. For commercial and educational licensing, please contact corpsales@stardock.com.
so it looks like the pay for version might just be for commercial use

similar to how EasyBCD does it

it looks to my like the "try it free" is still the full version. it states so it looks like the pay for version might just be for commercial use

similar to how EasyBCD does it

Why don't you try installing it like I did and stated already, states the program is only good for 30 days then purchase is needed.

Why don't you try installing it like I did and stated already, states the program is only good for 30 days then purchase is needed.

ah, thank you for correcting me, i just woke up and hadn't gotten around to trying it out yet

I have been using Classic Start Menu 3.6.1 since day one, like it, and it boots into metro for one second, then to desktop. Use the windows key to toggle back and forth. Google it - and it's totally free, no beta.

As a long time user of Windows and some of startdocks free software I see no reason to charge for this, plain and simple. Its replacing a small albeit handy feature of Windows that was removed. I see no reason to charge for this, yet to keep things like Object Dock free. With iOS I have no alternative but to purchase software even if it is for replacing basic functionality of some things. Its the App Ecosystem. As far as PC goes, for years developers have offered free small tools like Start8 and Object dock as carrots to get you interested in their other more meaty products. Should i have to PAY for an app that gives me a shutdown button? My opinion, no. I realize that there is talent and work that goes into creating some of these applications but for small things like object dock and start8 they definitely aren't breaking the bank. Free alternatives prove that.

Then suck it up and just use the free alternatives. It doesn't matter if it's simple, complex. or dogshit when it comes to what it intends to do. If I develop a fart app that does fart and charge $15 for it, it's my choice. It's up to the people whether they want to pay for my fart app or not.

$5 is seriously hardly anything. I switched over to Windows 8 yesterday on my primary desktop and purchased Start8. Windows 8 is unusable without Start8 for me.

But IMO they should offer a discounted pack or something for people with multiple computers.

• Like 2

Thank you! I can imagine the number of people griping about paying $5 for this, then tomorrow walking into Starbucks and plunking down $4.85 for a hot brown beverage with some fancy toppings. A beverage! That will be drunk and disposed of in a matter of 20 minutes.